Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Post-Processing RAW vs Post-Processing TIFF

Mike Henley

Can you get similar results from post-processing TIFF to those you'd
get from PPing RAW?

And what about JPEG?

Aerticeus

Dunno for sure m8

But if the stuff I have gleamed is robust then
RAW - is really sensor data with minimal signal processing, is sensor and
camera brand dependent

TIFF - not quite as spot on as RAW as it has (obviously to get into format)
some signal processing

JPEG - the most highly signal processed of the bunch (look for superfine,
fine, medium and low quality declarations in the camera spec)

Aerticeus

"Mike Henley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Can you get similar results from post-processing TIFF to those you'd
> get from PPing RAW?
>
> And what about JPEG?

Gene Palmiter

Nope. Process a RAW and see all the options. Some are: you can adjust white
balance, 16-bit, Size, lots more. Raw gives you more stops of
information....so you are less likely to block up the highlights and
shadows.

"Mike Henley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Can you get similar results from post-processing TIFF to those you'd
> get from PPing RAW?
>
> And what about JPEG?

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mike Henley) wrote:

>Can you get similar results from post-processing TIFF to those you'd
>get from PPing RAW?

16-bit TIFF will posterize the levels in the highlights. This is not
visible immediately, but may become visible with some processing.

8-bit TIFF will posterize the highlights much more than 16-bit, and will
posterize the midtones and brighter shadows as well.

>And what about JPEG?

JPEG has the same issues as 8-bit TIFF, plus the issues of compression
artifacts, which may be exaggerated after some processing, even if
compression is low.

As luck would have it, programs don't work with the RAW data directly,
so you usually have to settle for a 16-bit TIFF or PSD format if you
want to save your work for optimum future editing.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, I,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>(E-Mail Removed) (Mike Henley) wrote:
>
>>Can you get similar results from post-processing TIFF to those you'd
>>get from PPing RAW?

>16-bit TIFF will posterize the levels in the highlights. This is not
>visible immediately, but may become visible with some processing.
>
>8-bit TIFF will posterize the highlights much more than 16-bit, and will
>posterize the midtones and brighter shadows as well.
>
>>And what about JPEG?

>JPEG has the same issues as 8-bit TIFF, plus the issues of compression
>artifacts, which may be exaggerated after some processing, even if
>compression is low.
>
>As luck would have it, programs don't work with the RAW data directly,
>so you usually have to settle for a 16-bit TIFF or PSD format if you
>want to save your work for optimum future editing.

I forgot to mention; all of these conversion formats are also capable of
losing highlights captured in the RAW file.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Gene Palmiter

..

> I forgot to mention; all of these conversion formats are also capable of
> losing highlights captured in the RAW file.

Well...you adjust to get those highlights down into a usable range before
you convert from RAW.

JPS@no.komm

In message <ejwod.11350$Vy.2096@trndny06>,
"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I forgot to mention; all of these conversion formats are also capable of
>> losing highlights captured in the RAW file.

>Well...you adjust to get those highlights down into a usable range before
>you convert from RAW.

Yes but you have to know that. You'd be surprised how many people think
that highlights blown in the default conversion were never captured.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Annika1980

Think of cooking a nice dinner.

RAW: You're at the grocery store and can choose or alter any of the
ingredients in the recipe.

TIFF: The dinner is in the oven. You may still be able to make a few changes.

JPG: The dinner is cooked. About all you can do now is add salt.

Aerticeus

Sublime!

Aerticeus

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Think of cooking a nice dinner.
>
> RAW: You're at the grocery store and can choose or alter any of the
> ingredients in the recipe.
>
> TIFF: The dinner is in the oven. You may still be able to make a few
> changes.
>
> JPG: The dinner is cooked. About all you can do now is add salt.

Jer

Annika1980 wrote:

> Think of cooking a nice dinner.
>
> RAW: You're at the grocery store and can choose or alter any of the
> ingredients in the recipe.
>
> TIFF: The dinner is in the oven. You may still be able to make a few changes.
>
> JPG: The dinner is cooked. About all you can do now is add salt.

You seem to have the uncanny nack of grasping the obvious. ^5

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'