Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pano head for Gitzo 1325

Pano head for Gitzo 1325

Brian Stirling

I'm thinking about adding a pano head to a tripod I don't have just
yet and would appreciate any advise on the options.

I have a Canon 1D Mark II and may eventually add a 1DS Mark II a few
months from now and plan on using the pano head for the obvious
purpose of creating panos but also as a method of stitching
several/many 8MP or 16MP images to produce higher resolution images to
compete with MF and even LF.

I would imagine that being able to adjust the camera/lens so that
rotation occurs about the nodal point would be highly recommended and
any pointers in this area would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Clyde

Brian Stirling wrote:
> I'm thinking about adding a pano head to a tripod I don't have just
> yet and would appreciate any advise on the options.
>
> I have a Canon 1D Mark II and may eventually add a 1DS Mark II a few
> months from now and plan on using the pano head for the obvious
> purpose of creating panos but also as a method of stitching
> several/many 8MP or 16MP images to produce higher resolution images to
> compete with MF and even LF.
>
> I would imagine that being able to adjust the camera/lens so that
> rotation occurs about the nodal point would be highly recommended and
> any pointers in this area would also be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brian

I have the middle Manfrotto pano head and like it a lot. Kaidan is also
big in pano heads, but they tend to build heads for each camera/lens
combo. The Manfrotto heads are adjustable for just about any combo.

This site is good for adjusting your head:
http://panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/setup_panohead.jsp

The rest of that site is pretty good for learning about shooting panos.

Clyde