Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma 600mm

Sigma 600mm

BWL

Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I know
it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with sharp
images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and the
price is nice ($399 @ amazon).

BW

MarkČ

"BWL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I know
> it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with

sharp
> images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and

the
> price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
>
> BW

Mirror lenses are perhaps the worst option for wildlife.
They have fixed apertures (f8 in this case) which is not only very slow for
wildlife, but also means you have no control over depth of field.

Further, mirror lenses produce strange, doughnut-shaped highlights due to
the mirror device.

And... At 600mm, she will be hard-pressed to take ANY images that don't
suffer from camera shake or subject motion blur, sine you won't get fast
shutter speeds with such a small aperture.

Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially given
the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not easy
to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

You would be much better off going for a shorter focal length in that price
range.
Perhaps consider the Canon 75-300 Image Stabilized lens, for example. With
IS, she'll be able to capture shots hand-held that look great. While some
here will comment that it's not as sharp as L lenses, etc., it also doesn't
cost $1600.

For a sharper alternative, you might look at the Canon L series lenses
including the 400mm f5.6.

Whatever you end up buying for her, I would STRONGLY suggest that you do NOT
buy this mirror lens. It will likely bring her a great deal of frustration
and disappointment.

-Mark

fortknight

The price is nice, but I don't think you are going to find this adds up
with "long wildlife" photos.

I think you are going to find that the lens is not fast enough, the
depth of field not narrow enough to take wildlife photos.

I suspect this will take some pretty interesting landscape photo's, and
some interesting telephoto perspective images, but that it is not going
to satisfy the needs of taking pictures of things that move, or that
cause the camera to be moved.

If you are really interested in long wildlife photography, this is one
specialization where you really want equipment that is designed for the
task. It is expensive, but considering the effort you are going to go
through to get the shot, and the standard set by those that have
invested in the equipment, I sincerly doubt you will be happy with this
lens.

BWL wrote:
> Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I know
> it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with sharp
> images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and the
> price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
>
> BW

SkyPilot

"BWL" <(E-Mail Removed)> pounded on the keyboard and wrote:

>Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I know
>it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with sharp
>images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and the
>price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
>
>BW

BW,

I did a google search and found the following:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/600_8_mirror

Also a review:

http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...6_3111crx.aspx

Brian
Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"

MarkČ

"SkyPilot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "BWL" <(E-Mail Removed)> pounded on the keyboard and wrote:
>
> >Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I

know
> >it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with

sharp
> >images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and

the
> >price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
> >
> >BW
> >

> BW,
>
> I did a google search and found the following:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/600_8_mirror
>
> Also a review:

http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...6_3111crx.aspx

It was nice of Brian to look these up for you, but don't be fooled by the
(!!!) 4.25 out of 5 rating. What a joke. This is NOT a high quality lens,
and is downright horrible compared with just about any non-mirror lens.

Note that most of the sample photos are either blurry, or have awful
rendition of out-of-focus background elements. The moon is perhaps a better
application for a mirror lens, simply because there are no background
features to cause strange doughnut highlights, and it's bright enough and
moves slowly enough that f8 isn't too slow to be useable.

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially given
>the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not easy
>to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

Here I would disagree. At f/8, it's not hard to get everything beyond
a (fairly close) distance in constant focus.

All of the AF cameras in use have helped people forget camera basics.
If you're shooting wildlife from far away, set your camera to MF and
save yourself the nuisance of focus hunting.

-Joel

David J. Littleboy

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EAdod.32920$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> >Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially

given
> >the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not

easy
> >to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

> Here I would disagree. At f/8, it's not hard to get everything beyond
> a (fairly close) distance in constant focus.

You might want to check that claim first with a DOF calculator, e.g.

> All of the AF cameras in use have helped people forget camera basics.
> If you're shooting wildlife from far away, set your camera to MF and
> save yourself the nuisance of focus hunting.
>
> -Joel

David J. Littleboy

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> tried to write:
> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EAdod.32920$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> > >Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially

> given
> > >the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not

> easy
> > >to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

> > Here I would disagree. At f/8, it's not hard to get everything beyond
> > a (fairly close) distance in constant focus.

> You might want to check that claim first with a DOF calculator, e.g.

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...perfocal2.html

And then with some experiments. DOF goes down with the square of the focal
length, and 600's a big number.

> > All of the AF cameras in use have helped people forget camera basics.

It doesn't help that AF lenses don't stop at infinity and often don't have a
DOF scale.

> > If you're shooting wildlife from far away, set your camera to MF and
> > save yourself the nuisance of focus hunting.

But that's definitely worth trying.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

MarkČ

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EAdod.32920$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> >Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially

given
> >the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not

easy
> >to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

> Here I would disagree. At f/8, it's not hard to get everything beyond
> a (fairly close) distance in constant focus.

If you prefer shots of wildlife with no isolation of the subject (using DOF
limitations), then more power to you. I don't find such shots interesting.

> All of the AF cameras in use have helped people forget camera basics.
> If you're shooting wildlife from far away, set your camera to MF and
> save yourself the nuisance of focus hunting.

That's great, so long as you only shoot wildlife that sits there motionless.
-Ever tried to shoot a bird as it flies toward you with MF?
-Or hand-hold a 600mm lens mounted on a 1.6 crop-factor DSLR...meaning you
have similar camera-shake effects of a **960mm** lens?? This simply doesn't
work.
Add to this that it's a slow f8, and you are guarranteed a blurry mess.

One other thing to remember is that the focus screens in these DSLRs are
really not well suited to quick manual focusing on moving subjects. While
you can do it (and I often do for certainly subjects in certain settings) it
is difficult to detect with the eye in many cases due to the lack of focus
screen options.

BNE

"BWL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I know
> it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with

sharp
> images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and

the
> price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
>
> BW

Hang on, we're talking about a "Sigma" here? Errruukkk!