Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Print with a Dye Sublimation Printer

Print with a Dye Sublimation Printer

Robert Nabors

Ben,

If you have a camera that takes high resolution pictures, it is hard to beat the output of a dye sublimation printer. You don't worry about DPI since dye sublimation is not a dot printer.

Robert

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

Robert Nabors wrote:

> Ben,
>
> If you have a camera that takes high resolution pictures, it is hard to
> beat the output of a dye sublimation printer. You don't worry about DPI
> since dye sublimation is not a dot printer.
>
> Robert

Can you get those to print A3 pictures?

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

Michael Meissner

"Robert Nabors" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Ben,
>
> If you have a camera that takes high resolution pictures, it is hard to beat
> the output of a dye sublimation printer. You don't worry about DPI since dye
> sublimation is not a dot printer.

On the other hand, I've read that the gamut dye-subs produce is more limited
than dye based ink-jets, and Wilhelm doesn't generally give them high marks for
permanence either.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Robert Nabors

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> "Robert Nabors" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Ben,
>>
>> If you have a camera that takes high resolution pictures, it is hard to
>> beat
>> the output of a dye sublimation printer. You don't worry about DPI since
>> dye
>> sublimation is not a dot printer.

> On the other hand, I've read that the gamut dye-subs produce is more
> limited
> than dye based ink-jets, and Wilhelm doesn't generally give them high
> marks for
> permanence either.
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.the-meissners.org

__________________________
Ben and Michael,

There will no doubt be methods in digital photography that will be known to
be totally worthless in few years down the road.

At least you don't see dots of color in dye sublimation prints. Dye printing
has not been around long enough to know how long a dye sub photo will hold
up. So one can't count on any home printing process being around for
posterity.

My 35 MM film photos taken in 1953 have deteriorated so much that the photos
look awful when scanned or printed.

In the meantime, I use three different printers for different purposes, one
is dye sub, one is a black print LazerJet printer, and one is the usual DPI
color printer.

Robert Nabors

http://www2.hagenhosting.com/~naborswe/naborsindex/

Michael Meissner

"Robert Nabors" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Ben and Michael,
>
> There will no doubt be methods in digital photography that will be known to
> be totally worthless in few years down the road.
>
> At least you don't see dots of color in dye sublimation prints. Dye printing
> has not been around long enough to know how long a dye sub photo will hold
> up. So one can't count on any home printing process being around for
> posterity.

On neither of my HP printers have I ever seen the individual dots using the
standard Linux drivers to do the printing. I'll take your word for it there
are printers that you can see dots on.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)