Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rechargable Lithium vs Rechargable NiMH batteries - just curious

Rechargable Lithium vs Rechargable NiMH batteries - just curious

zxcvar

Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

Ron Hunter

zxcvar wrote:
> Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
> rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

Yes, however, they cost more to buy.

Jerry G.

The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there are
no memory problems with them. As for their long term lifespan, after about 2
to 3 years, and depending on the amount of charge cycles, they will start to
degrade in their ability to supply power. Most modern batteries can handle
about 600 to 1000 charge cycles over a 2 to 3 year period. After this, they
may start to degrade in their ability to maintain proper charge, and supply
their rated amount of amp-hours.

--

Jerry G.
======

"zxcvar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
> rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

Harvey

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
> particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there
> are no memory problems with them.

Neither do NiMh's - at least none that has yet been noticed.

Aerticeus

For city shots there probably is not a great difference.

However, for excursions to places where power supplies may be less
predictable AA's have the edge IMHO

Aerticeus

"Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_o3od.664$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
>> particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there
>> are no memory problems with them.

> Neither do NiMh's - at least none that has yet been noticed.

nospam@nospam.com

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:30:50 GMT, "Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
>> particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there
>> are no memory problems with them.

>Neither do NiMh's - at least none that has yet been noticed.

NiMh's lose their charge over time.

Gerrit 't Hart

"zxcvar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
> rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

Go to http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
You will be able to read all the answers there.

Gerrit - Oz

Markus L

"zxcvar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Greetings! Does the lithium rechargable batteries lasts longer than
> rechargable NiMh batteries? With thanks.

One of my favorite battery links:
http://www.buchmann.ca/

Bill Tuthill

>>> The time length of use is very depended on the ampere-hour rating of the
>>> particular battery. The advantage of the Lithium batteries is that there
>>> are no memory problems with them.

>>Neither do NiMh's - at least none that has yet been noticed.

> NiMh's lose their charge over time.

All correct.

I believe a lot of the FAQ information is outdated.

Although LiOn batteries do not lose charge as quickly as NiMH or NiCd,
and lack the memory effect of NiCd, my experience says they can't take
as many discharge/recharge cycles as either. I think NiMH batteries
now outlast both NiCd and LiOn, which is not what the FAQs say.

LiOn is great for small currency demands over a long period, as you
might encounter in a cellphone used for emergencies only. NiMH is
superior for large currency demands in a shorter timefrae, such as
you might need for camera flash, videocamcorders, and (depending on
photographic style) still cameras.

Ken

Why do some manufactures of cameras and camera equipment state that you
should not use Lithium batteries in their products? I don't, just
because they say so and I don't want to destroy my equipment, but I
wonder what the danger is.