Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how do i size / set resolution nicely for web in irfan view?

how do i size / set resolution nicely for web in irfan view?

..raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
..tif in photoshop.

these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.

how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
irfan view.
The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
right?)

Thank you for the help!

IT is very exciting now!

gpsmaps

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (n) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
> .tif in photoshop.
>
> these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
>
> how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
> irfan view.
> The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
> look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
> right?)
>
> Thank you for the help!
>
> IT is very exciting now!

I check my version and you need to push f1 and it will explain how to do
it.

Aerticeus

LOL gpsmaps

Hmm gpsmaps now there is a thing!

Is there a decent gps that can talk to my computer without trailing wires?

Gorra be lite n neat n tite so it can fit in a ruccie

Aerticeus

"gpsmaps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95A6A7547D804gm100gpshotmailcom@216.196.97 .142...
> (E-Mail Removed) (n) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>
>> .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
>> .tif in photoshop.
>>
>> these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
>>
>> how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
>> irfan view.
>> The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
>> look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
>> right?)
>>
>> Thank you for the help!
>>
>> IT is very exciting now!
>>

> I check my version and you need to push f1 and it will explain how to do
> it.

gpsmaps

"Aerticeus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hXtnd.219$(E-Mail Removed):

> LOL gpsmaps
>
> Hmm gpsmaps now there is a thing!
>
> Is there a decent gps that can talk to my computer without trailing
> wires?
>
> Gorra be lite n neat n tite so it can fit in a ruccie
>
> Aerticeus
>
> "gpsmaps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95A6A7547D804gm100gpshotmailcom@216.196.97 .142...
>> (E-Mail Removed) (n) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
>>> .tif in photoshop.
>>>
>>> these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
>>>
>>> how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
>>> irfan view.
>>> The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
>>> look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
>>> right?)
>>>
>>> Thank you for the help!
>>>
>>> IT is very exciting now!
>>>

>> I check my version and you need to push f1 and it will explain how to
>> do it.

Most still need wire unless you go blue tooth from what I seen.

Steve

n wrote:
> .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
> .tif in photoshop.
>
> these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
>
> how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
> irfan view.
> The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
> look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
> right?)
>
> Thank you for the help!
>
> IT is very exciting now!

n:

I use IrfanView for reviewing my pics, but I NO longer use it for resizing
and instead use a more complete photo editing product Paint Shop Pro (or
Photoshop Elements will work too). IrfanView comes with a help file, that
has a shortcut in the IrfanView Start Menu folder. It is called "Command
Line Options" and it has several excellent examples that will answer your
question.

Sometimes check the help BEFORE posting to a NG will get you the correct
answer faster!

Steve

Matt Ion

n wrote:
> .raw pictures were taken on a canon 10d and processed and saved as
> .tif in photoshop.
>
> these files are too big and needed in .jpeg format.
>
> how do i batch convert a folder full of .tif files to .jpeg ones in
> irfan view.
> The goal is to provide some web images that will be relatively quick
> look ok up to 6x4inch print size. (That would be about 640x480,
> right?)
>
> Thank you for the help!
>
> IT is very exciting now!

I see you've got the typical variation of pointless and "RTFM"-type
answers so far. Now for something actually useful.

Assuming you have a fairly recent version of IrfanView, you just go to
File -> Batch Conversion/Rename...

Navigate to the folder with the desired pictures in "Look in:"; select
the pictures you want and "Add" (or "Add all" if appropriate) them to
the "Input files" list. Select your output directory and "Include
subdirectories" if desired (I'll usually click "Use this directory as
output" and then add "smaller" to the end of the folder path; this
creates a new folder called "smaller" under the source of the pictures,
and puts the resized ones in there).

Under "Work as:", select "Batch conversion" or "Batch conversion -
rename result files" depending on how you want them output (I go with
the former, using the above directory settings).

Set "Output format:" to "JPG - JPEG Format" and use the Options button
to adjust JPEG settings as needed (I usually find an 85% compression
setting works well for web images).

Check the "Use advanced options" button and then click "Set advanced
options". In the "Set for all images:" dialog, click the "RESIZE"
secion, and select your desired resizing parameters (hint: if you "Set
both sides to:" and enter 640 for both width and height, making sure
"Preserve aspect ratio (proportional)" is checked, it will resize
pictures so the maximum of either dimension is 640 - portait layouts
will be 640 high by whatever smaller width; landscape will be 640 wide
by whatever appropriate height).

There are also options to alter color depth, flip/mirror/rotate, adjust
bright/contrast/gamma/saturation/etc., add text to images, and more, as
part of the batch process.

Once you have those settings as you want them, click OK (you can also
"Save settings" if you plan to use the same settings regularly). When
you're ready, click the "Start" button at the top beside the "Input
files:" list, and watch the fun!

Dave Martindale

Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>There are also options to alter color depth, flip/mirror/rotate, adjust
>bright/contrast/gamma/saturation/etc., add text to images, and more, as
>part of the batch process.

One particularly useful thing to do while downsizing images is a small
amount of sharpening after the resizing. Irfanview can do that as part
of the batch process. Check the "Sharpen" box in the batch dialogue,
then enter a sharpening amount. I prefer something like 10 (out of
1-99) which is relatively subtle.

Dave

Matt Ion

Dave Martindale wrote:
> Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>There are also options to alter color depth, flip/mirror/rotate, adjust
>>bright/contrast/gamma/saturation/etc., add text to images, and more, as
>>part of the batch process.

> One particularly useful thing to do while downsizing images is a small
> amount of sharpening after the resizing. Irfanview can do that as part
> of the batch process. Check the "Sharpen" box in the batch dialogue,
> then enter a sharpening amount. I prefer something like 10 (out of
> 1-99) which is relatively subtle.

Cool idea, I'll try that. Thanks!

How to set object parameters nicely? allen.fowler Python 11 12-03-2009 04:22 PM
Irfan View Corse Firefox 1 09-05-2004 01:38 PM
irfan des Computer Support 2 07-24-2003 05:43 PM
irfan des Computer Support 3 07-24-2003 05:21 PM

Advertisments