Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 20D with older EF lenses

20D with older EF lenses

Robert

I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
about to buy a 20D.

I understand that the wide angle capacity on a 20D will be 45+mm for
the 28-85mm lens.

Are these lenses optically worth keeping?

If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
angle capability?

Thank you for any assistance.

Robert

PhotoMan

Robert wrote:
> I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
> about to buy a 20D.
>
> I understand that the wide angle capacity on a 20D will be 45+mm for
> the 28-85mm lens.
>
> Are these lenses optically worth keeping?
>
> If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
> angle capability?
>
> Thank you for any assistance.
>
> Robert

If you buy the 20D with the 18-55mm kit lens, it will give you the
equivalent of 29-88mm, very close to what you get with the 28-85mm on film.
The 18-55 kit lens adds only $100 to the body-only cost and does a pretty
decent job, especially considering the price.

Joseph Meehan

I have a 20D and the 28-85 Canon lens as well as the kit lens. The FE
lens produces a little sharper result than the kit lens, but the kit lens
covers a more usable range for most of the work I do. I am keeping all
three FE lenses I have. I have also ordered the 10-22 super wide. I find
wide angle a very interesting tool. The sharpest results I am getting are
form the 50mm macro Canon I have.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
> about to buy a 20D.
>
> I understand that the wide angle capacity on a 20D will be 45+mm for
> the 28-85mm lens.
>
> Are these lenses optically worth keeping?
>
> If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
> angle capability?
>
> Thank you for any assistance.
>
> Robert

Robertwgross

Joseph wrote:
> I have a 20D and the 28-85 Canon lens as well as the kit lens. The FE
>lens produces a little sharper result than the kit lens, but the kit lens
>covers a more usable range for most of the work I do. I am keeping all
>three FE lenses I have. I have also ordered the 10-22 super wide. I find
>wide angle a very interesting tool. The sharpest results I am getting are
>form the 50mm macro Canon I have.
>--
>Joseph E. Meehan

What in the hell is an FE lens?

---Bob Gross---

Wright

On 11/18/04 6:04 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
> about to buy a 20D.
>
> I understand that the wide angle capacity on a 20D will be 45+mm for
> the 28-85mm lens.
>
> Are these lenses optically worth keeping?
>
> If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
> angle capability?
>
> Thank you for any assistance.
>
> Robert

I understand the frustrating decisions that you are going through in trying
to find a true wide angle lens for this camera! I purchased the EF-S 17-85
lens with my 20D which gives me the 35mm equivalent of about a 28-135. An
additional advantage of the new 17-85 is that it adds the image
stabilization function. Optically, if you are now satisfied with the results
you are getting with your existing lenses you should be satisfied with them
on the 20D as well. Although, if you went the same direction that I did,
your existing 28-85mm would not be needed. If you are strictly looking for
a wide angle the EF-S 10-22 is awfully tempting. Be aware that, if you are
keeping your current Canon body, the EF-S lenses will not work on it.
Chuck

YAG-ART

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:07:25 GMT, Wright
<nojunk_wright9@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

>On 11/18/04 6:04 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
>"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a EOS 620 with Canon 28-85mm EF & 70-200mm EF lenses. I am
>> about to buy a 20D.
>>
>> I understand that the wide angle capacity on a 20D will be 45+mm for
>> the 28-85mm lens.
>>
>> Are these lenses optically worth keeping?
>>
>> If so, what additional lens should I consider to increase my wide
>> angle capability?
>>
>> Thank you for any assistance.
>>
>> Robert

>I understand the frustrating decisions that you are going through in trying
>to find a true wide angle lens for this camera! I purchased the EF-S 17-85
>lens with my 20D which gives me the 35mm equivalent of about a 28-135. An
>additional advantage of the new 17-85 is that it adds the image
>stabilization function. Optically, if you are now satisfied with the results
>you are getting with your existing lenses you should be satisfied with them
>on the 20D as well. Although, if you went the same direction that I did,
>your existing 28-85mm would not be needed. If you are strictly looking for
>a wide angle the EF-S 10-22 is awfully tempting. Be aware that, if you are
>keeping your current Canon body, the EF-S lenses will not work on it.
>Chuck

If you have the money you can buy a 14mm EF lens

Joseph Meehan

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joseph wrote:
>> I have a 20D and the 28-85 Canon lens as well as the kit lens. The FE
>>lens produces a little sharper result than the kit lens, but the kit lens
>>covers a more usable range for most of the work I do. I am keeping all
>>three FE lenses I have. I have also ordered the 10-22 super wide. I find
>>wide angle a very interesting tool. The sharpest results I am getting are
>>form the 50mm macro Canon I have.
>>--
>>Joseph E. Meehan

> What in the hell is an FE lens?
>
> ---Bob Gross---

Would you buy EF?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

PhotoMan

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> "Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> What in the hell is an FE lens?
>>
>> ---Bob Gross---

Would you buy EF?

No thanks, 11 is enough!

Robertwgross

Joseph wrote:
> Would you buy EF?

I have eight or nine already. Why not?

---Bob Gross---

David J. Littleboy

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joseph wrote:
> > Would you buy EF?

> I have eight or nine already. Why not?