Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New UK slide scanning service launched

New UK slide scanning service launched

Chris Todhunter

Hi,

Please allow me to introduce our brand new website at
http://www.pixstudio.co.uk. We offer a film, slide and APS scanning
and image retouching service.

We provide an all inclusive scanning service from converting your
slides to a digital format and writing them to CD or DVD, to
retouching and image manipulation.

We offer a variety of options for your images from low resolution
scans that you can share with your friends to producing an A3 print
quality (300dpi) image from a 35mm slide and all at extremely
affordable prices.

We use the very best technology available and only settle for the
highest quality results, if you have any queries regarding any part of
the process, please call our helpline now on 0845 226 3205, email us
at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or view our scanning FAQ page at
http://www.pixstudio.co.uk/client/faq.asp to find out more.

Some of the services we offer are:

35mm slide scanning
35mm negative scanning
APS film scanning
Image retouching
Photo manipulation

Free trial offer

We will scan three slides to your specification at no cost as an
introduction to our service.

Andy Champ

Chris Todhunter wrote:

<snip>

> We offer a variety of options for your images from low resolution
> scans that you can share with your friends to producing an A3 print
> quality (300dpi) image from a 35mm slide and all at extremely
> affordable prices.

But a slide is only an inch or so across. 300dpi gives you perhaps a
megapixel. Certainly not as much as 2... what do you call *low*
resolution?

hmm... Todhunter. You do realise the government is about to ban you?

Andy

Owamanga

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:15:36 +0000, Andy Champ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Chris Todhunter wrote:
>
><snip>
>>
>> We offer a variety of options for your images from low resolution
>> scans that you can share with your friends to producing an A3 print
>> quality (300dpi) image from a 35mm slide and all at extremely
>> affordable prices.
>>

>But a slide is only an inch or so across. 300dpi gives you perhaps a
>megapixel. Certainly not as much as 2... what do you call *low*
>resolution?

Yes, but A3 is a paper size, and it's much larger than an inch or so.
That's what the 300dpi was referring to, print size, not samples of
the source.

A3 is about 11.7" x 15.5", so to print at 300ppi the image would have
to come off the slide at about 3300 ppi. But they aren't even claiming
that, they claim you can print it at 300dpi which is different from
ppi.

?

--
Owamanga!

Andy Champ

Owamanga wrote:

> Yes, but A3 is a paper size, and it's much larger than an inch or so.
> That's what the 300dpi was referring to, print size, not samples of
> the source.
>
> A3 is about 11.7" x 15.5", so to print at 300ppi the image would have
> to come off the slide at about 3300 ppi. But they aren't even claiming
> that, they claim you can print it at 300dpi which is different from
> ppi.

Makes more sense that way I admit. If Chris comes back, how many pixels
*do* you mean?

Andy

Chris Todhunter

Hi Andy,

The sizes we quote refer to the TIFF or JPEG that we supply back to
the customer. We actually scan at up to 4000ppi, but a 35mm image at
4000ppi is still a 35m image. For convenience, we resize the images
for those who do not have graphics software such as Photoshop.

I wan't aware I was about to be banned! Would that be the Todhunter
corporation in the States?

Cheers,

Chris