Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Another question for Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator

Another question for Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator

Doug Fox

We are planning to deploy a Cisco VPN 3000 concentrator, which has firewall
functionality.

In order to setup 1) site to site IP Sec VPN, 2) client to site IP Sec VPN
and 3) clientless VPN. Do I need to open http (80), https (443), 988, imap4
protocol over TLS/SSL (993), pop3 protocol over TLS/SSL (995), and pptp
(1732).

When the concentrator is scanned from the Internet, should I be able to see
these ports? How can I hide them from Internet?

Any info are thankful.

Regards,

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Doug Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:We are planning to deploy a Cisco VPN 3000 concentrator, which has firewall
:functionality.

: In order to setup 1) site to site IP Sec VPN, 2) client to site IP Sec VPN
:and 3) clientless VPN. Do I need to open http (80),

No.

:https (443),

This is needed for clientless VPN.

I have not configured a VPN 3000, so I do not know if you need to
"open" https, or if it will be automatically opened when you enable
SSL VPNs. You might only need to "open" https if you want to be
able to pass an SSL VPN through a security gateway.

:988,

Never heard of it. I don't find any reference for it being used.

:imap4 protocol over TLS/SSL (993),

No.

op3 protocol over TLS/SSL (995),

No.

:and pptp (1732).

No. IPSec is distinct from PPTP.

:When the concentrator is scanned from the Internet, should I be able to see
:these ports?

I haven't configured the VPN 3000. On the PIX, any port which is
set to block, simply does not reply (unless you -specifically- turn
on RST generation.)
--
Daylight is a trademark of OSRAM SYLVANIA INC.