Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Thumb drives

Thumb drives

Gene Palmiter

I saw a place to buy a thumb drive that was an enclosure for a
microdrive...and I have one of them gathering dust. Unfortunately they
didn't sell them separately from the microdrive...does anyone know of a shop
that does sell them separately?

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

John Bean

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:29:05 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:

> I saw a place to buy a thumb drive that was an enclosure for a
> microdrive...and I have one of them gathering dust. Unfortunately they
> didn't sell them separately from the microdrive...does anyone know of a shop
> that does sell them separately?

Any card reader that takes CF type II will do...

--
John Bean

Times fun when you're having flies (Kermit the Frog)

Gene Palmiter

"John Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:29:05 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:
>
> > I saw a place to buy a thumb drive that was an enclosure for a
> > microdrive...and I have one of them gathering dust. Unfortunately they
> > didn't sell them separately from the microdrive...does anyone know of a

shop
> > that does sell them separately?

> Any card reader that takes CF type II will do...

Um...thanks...but a thumb drive is a thing you put on your key chain and
take everywhere. Generally about the size of a thumb...though the ones that
take a microdrive would have to be shaped like a thumb that got slammed in
cars door.

John Bean

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:53:28 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:

> "John Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:29:05 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:
>>
>>> I saw a place to buy a thumb drive that was an enclosure for a
>>> microdrive...and I have one of them gathering dust. Unfortunately they
>>> didn't sell them separately from the microdrive...does anyone know of a

> shop
>>> that does sell them separately?

>> Any card reader that takes CF type II will do...
>>

> Um...thanks...but a thumb drive is a thing you put on your key chain and
> take everywhere. Generally about the size of a thumb...though the ones that
> take a microdrive would have to be shaped like a thumb that got slammed in
> cars door.

Exactly the point I was making. You can't make it any smaller than the disk
itself, so it's hardly a "thumb" drive anyway

You can get some pretty small CF readers if you avoid the 93-in-1 type of
thing.

--
John Bean

Never be a cynic, even a gentle one. Never help out a sneer, even at the
devil (Vachel Lindsay)

Gene Palmiter

"John Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:53:28 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:
>
> > "John Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > shop
> >>
> >> Any card reader that takes CF type II will do...
> >>

> > Um...thanks...but a thumb drive is a thing you put on your key chain and
> > take everywhere. Generally about the size of a thumb...though the ones

that
> > take a microdrive would have to be shaped like a thumb that got slammed

in
> > cars door.

> Exactly the point I was making. You can't make it any smaller than the

disk
> itself, so it's hardly a "thumb" drive anyway
>
> You can get some pretty small CF readers if you avoid the 93-in-1 type of
> thing.

Can you get one that doesn't have a wire attached?

John Bean

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:13:37 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:

> "John Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:53:28 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:
>>
>>> "John Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> shop

>>> Um...thanks...but a thumb drive is a thing you put on your key chain and
>>> take everywhere. Generally about the size of a thumb...though the ones

> that
>>> take a microdrive would have to be shaped like a thumb that got slammed

> in
>>> cars door.

>> Exactly the point I was making. You can't make it any smaller than the

> disk
>> itself, so it's hardly a "thumb" drive anyway
>>
>> You can get some pretty small CF readers if you avoid the 93-in-1 type of
>> thing.

> Can you get one that doesn't have a wire attached?

Yes. Here's an example (on Amazon.com), I don't know anything about it but
it's the sort of thing I was thinking of:

http://tinyurl.com/5ezej

--
John Bean

I envy people who drink. At least they have something to blame everything on
(Oscar Levant)

Robert Nabors

I've used ZIO! for CF and SM cards for several years. Big improvement over
all those messy wire connections.

Robert

news:1cvp5pgunsarw$(E-Mail Removed)...