Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > getting negatives scanned

getting negatives scanned

Apkesh

Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
apkesh

HRosita

Hi,

One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the KONICA
MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
It sells for under $300.
Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune
Rosita

Michael A. Covington

"HRosita" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the
> KONICA
> MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
> It sells for under $300.
> Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune
> Rosita

And doing it yourself will take you the rest of your life!

Marvin Margoshes

"Apkesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
> scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
> looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
> Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
> apkesh

One way is to project the slides onto a screen and photograph the images
with a digicam.

Glenn Jacobs

On 16 Nov 2004 15:56:40 GMT, HRosita wrote:

> From: (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita)
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
> Date: 16 Nov 2004 15:56:40 GMT
> Subject: Re: getting negatives scanned
>
> Hi,
>
> One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the KONICA
> MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
> It sells for under $300.
> Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune
> Rosita

I have a Minolta Dimage III and have scanned in a lot of slides and
negatives with good results. Before I got that I used a nikon slide copier
with a closeup lense hooked up a digital camera which worked well at least
to the resolution of the camera.
--
JakeInHartsel

YAG-ART

Depending on how many you have, it maybe cheaper to buy a $500 film
scanner.

On 16 Nov 2004 07:14:36 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Apkesh) wrote:

>Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
>scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
>looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
>Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
>apkesh

ECM

(E-Mail Removed) (Apkesh) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
> scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
> looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
> Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
> apkesh

I've not had any luck with farming out this task to others. Even at a
"high quality" shop, with a state of the art scanner, the scans were
fairly lousy - the color was off, they were overexposed-looking, and
they didn't take care about dust on the negative. They told me they
used Digital Ice, but I don't believe it - it doubles the time
required to scan the negatives. The scans were also too low resolution
to be very useful - they were not willing to go much better than
1024X768 pixels because it takes too much time - that was about the
equivalent of a 2 Mpixel camera; I wanted at least 2048X1536 (~4
Mpixel) for archiving.

My experience at another high-end shop was the same. At Walmart, the
quality was abysmal - not worth even the $4 it cost. I'd recommend you
bite the bullet and get a good scanner, preferably with Digital Ice to
get rid of dust and scratches. The Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 is a
good choice, so is the Nikon CoolScan V ED - both will do exactly what
you want.

Good Luck!
ECM

Don Wiss

On 16 Nov 2004 15:56:40 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita) wrote:

>One of the better and more affordable slide and negative scanner is the KONICA
>MINOLTA Dimage Scan Dual IV.
>It sells for under $300.
>Commercial scanning will cost you a fortune

Depends on how many negatives one has. I figure I have maybe 100, but no
more than 200 to scan. I doubt a commercial place is more than $1.50 a
negative.

Now my parents have lots of slides, but not so sure I want to take on that
project!

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Steven Gray

(E-Mail Removed) (Apkesh) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Hi, I have a whole bunch of negatives which I'd like to get them
> scanned and archived. I cannot afford a high end scanner, hence
> looking to see if there is an affordable way of doing this? I live in
> Toronto, but if an online agency does it, I am open to that too..
> apkesh

In the southern US, Sam's Club will scan negatives at a very reasonable
price. I don't know about Canada.

--
Steve Gray
(E-Mail Removed)

Tom Ellliott

The following is worth a try and it is cheap with good resolution.
http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
Not recommend but it worked for me.
Yours,
Tom