Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Mapping drives through IPSec VPN

Mapping drives through IPSec VPN

docjohnboy@gmail.com

I have a site-to-site network connection configured with an ISA 2004
server on one end and a Cisco PIX firewall on the other end. I'm
allowing all communication through the ISA server to the PIX VPN. I can
remote desktop to computers on the VPN, but I cannot map to shared
drives.

Is there another protocol I need to allow on the PIX side in order to
map the drives?

Thanks,
John

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I have a site-to-site network connection configured with an ISA 2004
:server on one end and a Cisco PIX firewall on the other end. I'm
:allowing all communication through the ISA server to the PIX VPN. I can
:remote desktop to computers on the VPN, but I cannot map to shared
:drives.

:Is there another protocol I need to allow on the PIX side in order to
:map the drives?

How are you mapping? If you are mapping by name then you need
a WINS server, or your systems have to have been configured to
do DNS resolution on the names (and the names have to be in your
DNS server.)

The process of locating a system by name normally depends upon
broadcast packets, and broadcasts don't pass through Layer 3.

If you happened to be running PIX 7.0 on both sides then you could
configure a layer 2 "transparent" VPN. I haven't looked at how that
is implemented (L2TP maybe?)
--
"I will speculate that [...] applications [...] could actually see a
performance boost for most users by going dual-core [...] because it

docjohnboy@gmail.com

:How are you mapping?
I am mapping by IP.