Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Powershot A95 too much camera for a 14 year old?

Canon Powershot A95 too much camera for a 14 year old?

Finite Guy

Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old? She is pretty
smart when It comes to computers etc. Last year I bought her an iPod
and she still has it and it is still in good shape. She takes care of
her stuff as long as I put the fear of God in her regarding taking
care of her quality stuff.

Eatmorepies

"Finite Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
> 14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
> rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
> a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
> Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old? She is pretty
> smart when It comes to computers etc.

She can put it in P mode until she feels the need of all that manual control
on offer.

If she gets interested in photography she will have a camera that supports
her interest.

John

Will M

"Finite Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
> 14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
> rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
> a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
> Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old? She is pretty
> smart when It comes to computers etc. Last year I bought her an iPod
> and she still has it and it is still in good shape. She takes care of
> her stuff as long as I put the fear of God in her regarding taking
> care of her quality stuff.

No way. I'm early twenties and got a Canon FTb when I was about 14. I
learnt a lot from having such a good camera and now am an accomplished
photographer! This camera will last her a while to be sure

nafod40

Finite Guy wrote:
> Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
> 14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
> rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
> a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
> Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old?

I just got doen watching my 14 year old son teach his mom how to use the
cell phone.

If she's bright and interested, it'll be great. Get her to try the
different modes, take night and macro shots, etc. She'll learn a ton.

ERich10983

> Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old?

I have mixed ages in the digital photo classes I teach in the local library.
AThe biggest range has been 8 to 80 years old. Giving a youngster good tools
is the best way for the kid to remain interested in photography instead of
giving up because he can't get a good quality picture.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Sabineellen

>Hi All: I'm thinking of buying a Canon A95 for my daughter for her
>14th birthday. It is pricey but I don't want to buy poor quality. I'd
>rather spend a little more and get something good. This appears to be
>a good camera and the reviews indicate that.
>Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old? She is pretty
>smart when It comes to computers etc. Last year I bought her an iPod
>and she still has it and it is still in good shape. She takes care of
>her stuff as long as I put the fear of God in her regarding taking
>care of her quality stuff.

Will you adopt me?

No. It isn't too much for her, at least not technically. Just remember to
exercise some wisdom when she starts imitating her peers and posting those
teeny self-portraits on her livejournal. Also, whatever camera you buy her,
make sure you buy a well-padded case (lowepro d-res series - go to the lowepro
website and look at the compatiblity chart), so you can save her the worry, and
the fear of God.

YAG-ART

Given how good today kids are with cameras, it may be not enought of a
camera

On 16 Nov 2004 17:45:11 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (ERich10983) wrote:

>> Is this camera too sophisticated for a 14 year old?

>I have mixed ages in the digital photo classes I teach in the local library.
>AThe biggest range has been 8 to 80 years old. Giving a youngster good tools
>is the best way for the kid to remain interested in photography instead of
>giving up because he can't get a good quality picture.
>
>Earle Rich
>Mont Vernon, NH

MBOSCHERT

>Also, whatever camera you buy her,
>make sure you buy a well-padded case (lowepro d-res series - go to the
>lowepro
>website and look at the compatiblity chart), so you can save her the worry,
>and
>the fear of God.

And get a loss/breakage rider from your home owners policy. Well worth it. I
just replaced my S100 with the A95 through it.