Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 1.2Mp Digital Camera (with LCD) for under $20

1.2Mp Digital Camera (with LCD) for under $20

Owamanga

This might be interesting for some 'high-risk' situations.

I noticed a couple of days ago, that CVS are selling two types of
Digital reusable cameras. One (it's about $12) has no LCD screen, the
other is about $18 and has a small color LCD screen for viewing the
last image taken and allowing you to delete it. Okay, these have been
around for a while I guess, but I'd previously ignored them.

Ritz, Wolf etc also sell it.

So, it crossed my mind - why return the camera? Digital and one-use
doesn't seem right. And at $18 for a digital camera - well, I won't be
sorry if my 'Underwater Digital Project' leaks destroying the
contents, or my 'Camera on a Kite' makes a dive for the rocks - I'll
only have lost between $12 and $18.

Anyway, for those of you interested, this guy successfully hacked the
non-LCD version (it apparently uses standard CF directory structure
and interfaces with USB), and is working on the LCD version hack:

http://www.maushammer.com/systems/da...gital/lcd.html

Someone else wrote a replacement firmware for the non-lcd version that
removes the 25 picture limit and unlocks some other crippled features.

People have already written software for Mac, Linux and Windows to
read images, control the camera and even use it as a webcam (most
pages linked from the site above, or google for it).

--
Owamanga!

Big Bill

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:37:26 GMT, Owamanga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This might be interesting for some 'high-risk' situations.
>
>I noticed a couple of days ago, that CVS are selling two types of
>Digital reusable cameras. One (it's about $12) has no LCD screen, the
>other is about $18 and has a small color LCD screen for viewing the
>last image taken and allowing you to delete it. Okay, these have been
>around for a while I guess, but I'd previously ignored them.
>
>Ritz, Wolf etc also sell it.
>
>So, it crossed my mind - why return the camera? Digital and one-use
>doesn't seem right. And at $18 for a digital camera - well, I won't be
>sorry if my 'Underwater Digital Project' leaks destroying the
>contents, or my 'Camera on a Kite' makes a dive for the rocks - I'll
>only have lost between $12 and $18.

Why return the camera?
Maybe because you're not the only one out there, and there are a *lot*
of people who don't want to bother with the processing aspect that
digital implies.
The idea of digital (with it's implied (thought not always deliverd,
especially in such low-$ cameras) improved quality) isn't always
perceived the same way *we* perceive it. There are a lot of people out
there (even in the US) who just don't have a computer, and don't want
one. For them, a returnable digital camera can make a lot of sense.

>Anyway, for those of you interested, this guy successfully hacked the
>non-LCD version (it apparently uses standard CF directory structure
>and interfaces with USB), and is working on the LCD version hack:
>
>http://www.maushammer.com/systems/da...gital/lcd.html
>
>Someone else wrote a replacement firmware for the non-lcd version that
>removes the 25 picture limit and unlocks some other crippled features.
>
>People have already written software for Mac, Linux and Windows to
>read images, control the camera and even use it as a webcam (most
>pages linked from the site above, or google for it).

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"