Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Will EF-S Lenses Become Obsolete In A Couple Of Years?

Will EF-S Lenses Become Obsolete In A Couple Of Years?

Matt

Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
years?

Surly Canon will be looking to go for full size sensors soon, like they have
done with the EOS 1-Ds II? Which would mean that it is possible that the
lenses will not fit, and you will be forced into buying more lenses.

Stephen H. Westin

"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
> years?
>
> Surly Canon will be looking to go for full size sensors soon, like they have
> done with the EOS 1-Ds II? Which would mean that it is possible that the
> lenses will not fit, and you will be forced into buying more lenses.

My perception is that Canon is dividing their digital SLRs into pro
(1D series), subpro (20D), and consumer (300D) series. I think they
are striving for large sensors in the pro cameras, but standardizing a
smaller sensor size for the other series. Notice that the 1D Mk. II has
a bigger sensor than the 20D, despite the similar pixel count. But the
20D has the same size sensor as the 300D (and 10D, D60, D30). I would
bet that the 1D Mk. III will have a full-frame sensor. Don't know if it
will encompass the 1Ds line with double-digit megapixels, or if it will
just slot in as a lower-resolution camera with a higher frame rate for
sports.

So I would guess that the EF-S lenses will be around for a while, but
will never offer L-series lenses. Unless the market rejects the whole
concept, which seems unlikely given Canon's success to date.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Martin Francis

news:cnaqkj$udd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
> years?

No. Small sensors will be here for a while (relatively speaking, of course),
and the only reason Canon would disco such a product is if it becomes
commercially unsuccessful- so far, the 17-85mm and 10-22mm have proven a
hit, IME.

> Surly Canon will be looking to go for full size sensors soon, like they
> have
> done with the EOS 1-Ds II? Which would mean that it is possible that the
> lenses will not fit, and you will be forced into buying more lenses.

Always possible, I suppose. As it is, if Canon continue down the full-frame
path they will have to redesign some of their lenses to be optimised for
such a sensor anyway. Running with with small sensors is more
cost-effective; as by now all the manufacturers (and the government of
European nations, too) are coming to realise, sometimes what the vocal
majority want and what they get are very different things- and those moaning
codgers who use familiarity as an excuse for remaining stagnant will just
have to adjust to the new system.

IMO, R&D people should be looking into an APS-C sized sensor in a compact
point-and-shoot. As the Canon Ixus/Elph has proven, fantastically small
cameras can be built around this format, and the quality will blow away the
current crop of digital compacts at the sacrifice of wide aperture zoom
lenses.

no, and yes...."

Jim Townsend

Matt wrote:

> Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
> years?

I think they'll be here for a while.

First, it has to cost many millions to design, build and market a lens from
the ground up. They've got three on the market now.

Second. Canon has added a feature in it's latest flash (the 580EX)
where it communicates with the body to deterimine the sensor crop,
then adjust the beam spread to compensate. (This only works with the
20D for now).

I can't see Canon doing so much to acommodate the APS-C sized
sensors if they plan to change to larger ones soon.

> Surly Canon will be looking to go for full size sensors soon, like they have
> done with the EOS 1-Ds II? Which would mean that it is possible that the
> lenses will not fit, and you will be forced into buying more lenses.

Who knows.. Even the EF lenses might be replaced in the next few years...
It's not impossible.

Mark B.

news:cnaqkj$udd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
> years?
>
> Surly Canon will be looking to go for full size sensors soon, like they
> have
> done with the EOS 1-Ds II?

Not anytime soon for the prosumer series. Their full-frame DSLR is $8 grand
right now. No way are they introducing a full-time sensor in the consumer
line in the near future. I think the EF-S is here for the next few
iterations of the 10D/20D and 300D.

Mark

Charles Schuler

news:cnaqkj$udd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
> years?
>
> Surly Canon will be looking to go for full size sensors soon, like they
> have
> done with the EOS 1-Ds II? Which would mean that it is possible that the
> lenses will not fit, and you will be forced into buying more lenses.

I posted this eariler:

"From: "Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Are Canon EF-S lenses a dead end?
Date: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 5:06 PM

I am not happy with the price of the EF-S 10-22. I have been waiting for a
lens like this but can't justify the cost. It might be a great lens, but my
concern is that camera sensor size will grow over the next two years and
leave EF-S lens owners out there dangling in the "history of digital
photography land." What do you think?"

It generated a long thread yet did not much appease me. This seems to be a
time of spend today and weep tomorrow. The technology is evolving so fast
now, that folks like you and me are becoming extremely frustrated. I like
to spend a bit more, if need be, to be satisfied for a lot longer. Not
always possible these days. Back on track ... the full frame (35 mm)
sensors will be affordable in about 2 to 3 years and the EF-S lenses will be
worth next to nothing (my best guess). I am backing away from this EF-S
scenario.

Mark B.

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I posted this eariler:
>
> "From: "Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject: Are Canon EF-S lenses a dead end?
> Date: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 5:06 PM
>
> I am not happy with the price of the EF-S 10-22. I have been waiting for
> lens like this but can't justify the cost. It might be a great lens, but
> my
> concern is that camera sensor size will grow over the next two years and
> leave EF-S lens owners out there dangling in the "history of digital
> photography land." What do you think?"
>
> It generated a long thread yet did not much appease me. This seems to be
> a time of spend today and weep tomorrow. The technology is evolving so
> fast now, that folks like you and me are becoming extremely frustrated. I
> like to spend a bit more, if need be, to be satisfied for a lot longer.
> Not always possible these days. Back on track ... the full frame (35 mm)
> sensors will be affordable in about 2 to 3 years and the EF-S lenses will
> be worth next to nothing (my best guess). I am backing away from this
> EF-S scenario.

If that's true, then doesn't it stand to reason that the 1.6x crop sensors
will be even more affordable? Surely then they will still have a very
strong market presence. Perhaps 1.6x crop sensors & EF-S SLR bodies will
become the high-end point 'n shoots of today.

Mark

Skip M

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I posted this eariler:
>>
>> "From: "Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Subject: Are Canon EF-S lenses a dead end?
>> Date: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 5:06 PM
>>
>> I am not happy with the price of the EF-S 10-22. I have been waiting for
>> lens like this but can't justify the cost. It might be a great lens, but
>> my
>> concern is that camera sensor size will grow over the next two years and
>> leave EF-S lens owners out there dangling in the "history of digital
>> photography land." What do you think?"
>>
>> It generated a long thread yet did not much appease me. This seems to be
>> a time of spend today and weep tomorrow. The technology is evolving so
>> fast now, that folks like you and me are becoming extremely frustrated.
>> I like to spend a bit more, if need be, to be satisfied for a lot longer.
>> Not always possible these days. Back on track ... the full frame (35 mm)
>> sensors will be affordable in about 2 to 3 years and the EF-S lenses will
>> be worth next to nothing (my best guess). I am backing away from this
>> EF-S scenario.
>>

> If that's true, then doesn't it stand to reason that the 1.6x crop sensors
> will be even more affordable? Surely then they will still have a very
> strong market presence. Perhaps 1.6x crop sensors & EF-S SLR bodies will
> become the high-end point 'n shoots of today.
>
> Mark

I've said before, I think that the 1.6x crop, or thereabouts, are Canon,
Pentax and Nikon's answer to the 4/3 sensor crowd. Look at how similarly
sized the *istD and 20D are to the Oly E-1, and only the lack of a pentroof
keeps the E-300 from actually being larger than the 20D. And I'll bet you
dollars to donuts that the D70 successor will be close to that size, too.
I have a feeling that the EF-S mount is going to be with us for a while.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

David J. Littleboy

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've said before, I think that the 1.6x crop, or thereabouts, are Canon,
> Pentax and Nikon's answer to the 4/3 sensor crowd. Look at how similarly
> sized the *istD and 20D are to the Oly E-1, and only the lack of a

pentroof
> keeps the E-300 from actually being larger than the 20D.

Uh, except that the 1.5/1.6x cameras predate the 4/3 idea by several years.

The 4/3 idea is intended to split the difference between 1.5/1.6 and the
consumer cameras.

> And I'll bet you
> dollars to donuts that the D70 successor will be close to that size, too.
> I have a feeling that the EF-S mount is going to be with us for a while.

Yes. Full-frame is probably a long way off. The silicon is just too
expensive.

If (and only if) Canon figures out how to mass produce the 1Ds mk2 sensor at
under US$2,000 a pop, then they'll have a big incentive to come out with a
US$3,000 or so full-frame camera. I figure that about the time the 1Ds mk2
saturates the market they should have optimized the fab line about as much
as possible, and will have a need of a market for its output. I hope.

But for now, Canon is vehement in saying that they are not going to be
producing an affordable and liftable full-frame "tweener" (between 20D and
the pro line).

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Uranium Committee

"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cnaqkj$udd$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Do you think the Canon EF-S lenses will become obsolete in a couple of
> years?
>
> Surly Canon will be looking to go for full size sensors soon, like they have
> done with the EOS 1-Ds II? Which would mean that it is possible that the
> lenses will not fit, and you will be forced into buying more lenses.

One can only hope....