Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 20D power switch

20D power switch

BWL

I've spent the last couple of days playing with (and being thrilled with) my new 20D. One thing that I don't quite understand is the "quick control dial lock" setting of the off/on switch. As far as I can tell, when you turn the camera to "on", you can't use the quick control dial to set shutter, aperature, etc... It's only if you switch one more notch past "on" (to that line that indicates quick control dial lock), that you can use the quick control dial.

My question, and it's probably a dumb one, is why would anyone ever switch the camera only to "on" and not be able to use the dial?

The manual doesn't really explain this, nor could I find any explanation on the web.

Thanks

BW

Mark≤

"BWL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I've spent the last couple of days playing with (and being thrilled with) my
new 20D. One thing that I don't quite understand is the "quick control dial
lock" setting of the off/on switch. As far as I can tell, when you turn the
camera to "on", you can't use the quick control dial to set shutter,
aperature, etc... It's only if you switch one more notch past "on" (to that
line that indicates quick control dial lock), that you can use the quick
control dial.

My question, and it's probably a dumb one, is why would anyone ever switch
the camera only to "on" and not be able to use the dial?

Because in some situations, you may be vigorously shooting away at a
particular setting, and you want to be sure you don't accidentally adjust
the exposure value by inadvertantly bumping the back dial--which is fairly
easy to do.

If you were in a studio...where the lighting stayed constant...you might
have it set and leave it for a few hundred shots. This also can be used as
a dummy-proofing tool.

Joseph Meehan

BWL wrote:
> I've spent the last couple of days playing with (and being thrilled with)
> my new 20D. One thing that I don't quite understand is the "quick control
> dial lock" setting of the off/on switch. As far as I can tell, when you
> turn the camera to "on", you can't use the quick control dial to set
> shutter, aperature, etc... It's only if you switch one more notch past
> "on" (to that line that indicates quick control dial lock), that you can
> use the quick control dial.
>
> My question, and it's probably a dumb one, is why would anyone ever switch
> the camera only to "on" and not be able to use the dial?
>
> The manual doesn't really explain this, nor could I find any explanation
> on
> the web.
>
> Thanks
>
> BW

It's far to easy to move it accidentally.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math