Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printed 8x10's are a little skewed

Printed 8x10's are a little skewed

Swingman

I noticed recently on a couple of 8x10's I printed that the image was not exactly rectangular - it was pinched a little on one end (only about 1/8 inch). I wonder if anyone has experienced this? I've been printing from Digital Image Pro 10. Could it be the editor, or is it more likely a printer issue? I use an Epson Stylus 880 which is a 3 color + black system with no "edge to edge" capability.

Alan Meyer

"Swingman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I noticed recently on a couple of 8x10's I printed that the image was not exactly
rectangular - it was pinched a little on one end (only about 1/8 inch). I wonder if
anyone has experienced this? I've been printing from Digital Image Pro 10. Could it be
the editor, or is it more likely a printer issue? I use an Epson Stylus 880 which is a 3
color + black system with no "edge to edge" capability.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I would hazard a
guess that it's the printer rather than the software. It seems odd
that a computer program would be out of adjustment by an eigth
inch. That's just not a digital kind of thing to do.

You might write or call Epson tech support, or search their
website, or check one of the printer newsgroups. There might
be a screw you can turn or something like that to straighten things
out.

Alan

Swingman

> Don't know the answer to your question, but I would hazard a
> guess that it's the printer rather than the software. It seems odd
> that a computer program would be out of adjustment by an eigth
> inch. That's just not a digital kind of thing to do.
>
> You might write or call Epson tech support, or search their
> website, or check one of the printer newsgroups. There might
> be a screw you can turn or something like that to straighten things
> out.
>
> Alan

I made another print and examined it carefully. What is happening is the image is slightly smaller than 8x10 (1/8" less in both height and width so it IS rectangular) and it slightly twisted on the page. The latter I think could be a paper feed issue, i.e. the paper is not pulled through the printer exactly straight. I don't know why the image would not be exactly 8"x10" though.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Swingman" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> What is happening is the image is slightly smaller than 8x10
> (1/8" less in both height and width so it IS rectangular)
>
> I don't know why the image would
>not be exactly 8"x10" though.

Dunno the specifics of your printer model, but some of them need a bit of extra
room at the bottom of the page to grab the paper sheet. For example one
printer I own needs 14 mm ... so if I want to print an 8x10 centered on 8.5 x
11" paper the printer complains since I want an even 12.5 mm margin on the
bottom and top while the printer wants 14 mm on the side fed into the rollers
and 11 mm on the top.

An image like this will get clipped if you accept the warning (about the amount
you are seeing), or you can check to see if your printer has a box for
'maximize area' or something like that, which will attempt to print on the
extra area but with less quality. Some papers do not allow this 'maximize
area' setting.

Alan Meyer

"Swingman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't know why the image would not be exactly 8"x10" though.

That doesn't surprise me at all. An eighth inch off seems
pretty good to me. Bill's explanation about margins seems
to me to be a real possibility, but even if there is enough
room for the margins, these devices are correlating a particular
number of pixels per inch with a particular number of dots per
inch, through several different software programs (the image
editor or printing program, the printer device driver on the
computer, and the software in the printer itself), and giving
instructions to a piece of mass manufactured hardware.

It would be surprising to me if everything came out much
better. 1/8 inch in 8 inches is off by a factor of 1/64. That's
not bad for multiple layers of software and hardware translations.

Back in the photo days you could get prints from various
sources and I don't think they were always exactly the same
size either.

I guess what surprises me most about digital photography
is not what goes wrong, but how amazingly well everything
goes. The number of bits that can flipped, never mind the
number of moving electrons, is a mind boggling number. And
yet you press the button and a picture of your wife appears on
the LCD.

Amazing!

Alan

Swingman

"Alan Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:eR9md.1939$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Swingman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I don't know why the image would not be exactly 8"x10" though.

> It would be surprising to me if everything came out much
> better. 1/8 inch in 8 inches is off by a factor of 1/64. That's
> not bad for multiple layers of software and hardware translations.

That's an interesting thought, and makes me wonder if others notice slight variations in size when they print photos, too? Does this become more apparent as the print size increases?