Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need Starting point for choosing P&S digital

Need Starting point for choosing P&S digital

Gobias Industries

I want to purchase a P&S Digital camera for my wife for Christmas and I am
looking for some direction.

I have researched my own DSLR purchase to death, and when I start comparing
P&S digital I am simply overwhelmed. Each manufacturer has tens of
choices... where to start !?

I am hoping to draw on your expertise... given my needs, can anyone offer a
few cameras as a starting point for my research.

Basic Needs:

- wide angle is more important than telephoto (hoping for at least 35mm,
35equivalent)
- my wife is used to using our Olympus Stylus 35-70 for the past 4 years
- most shots are indoors of our kids (hence the desire for wider
flexibility)... so faster aperture allowing shots without flash (or low
noise high iso)
- LAG TIME is quite important. need a camera that takes a picture when I
press the shutter
- price approx 200-400 USD

Looking for some starting points..

thanks in advance

bob

"Gobias Industries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> - wide angle is more important than telephoto (hoping for at least
> 35mm, 35equivalent)
> - my wife is used to using our Olympus Stylus 35-70 for the past 4
> years - most shots are indoors of our kids (hence the desire for wider
> flexibility)... so faster aperture allowing shots without flash (or
> low noise high iso)

Maybe an Olympus Stylus digital?

> - LAG TIME is quite important. need a camera that takes a picture when
> I press the shutter
> - price approx 200-400 USD

No lag will be a challenge. If no one has any no lag suggestions, you can
check dpreview.com. They have lag stats for all the reviews. My camera has
a lot of lag, and I end up shooting a lot of photos in hopes of getting a
good one. That's something I miss about my film camera.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:44:17 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gobias Industries"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to purchase a P&S Digital camera for my wife for Christmas and I am
>looking for some direction.
>
>I have researched my own DSLR purchase to death, and when I start comparing
>P&S digital I am simply overwhelmed. Each manufacturer has tens of
>choices... where to start !?
>
>I am hoping to draw on your expertise... given my needs, can anyone offer a
>few cameras as a starting point for my research.
>
>Basic Needs:
>
>- wide angle is more important than telephoto (hoping for at least 35mm,
>35equivalent)
>- my wife is used to using our Olympus Stylus 35-70 for the past 4 years
>- most shots are indoors of our kids (hence the desire for wider
>flexibility)... so faster aperture allowing shots without flash (or low
>noise high iso)
>- LAG TIME is quite important. need a camera that takes a picture when I
>press the shutter
>- price approx 200-400 USD
>
>Looking for some starting points..

The tool at http://www.dpreview.com can help you narrow your choices for a