Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > camera forgets time/date

camera forgets time/date

Geek Junk

hi there.
i just got a new Kodak DX-7440 and i noticed that when I remove the
battery to charge it (the kodak comes with a seperate battery charger)
-- upon returning the battery to the camera a couple of hours later,
the camera has forgotten the time and date!
My older, cheaper, camera remembers the time/date (come to think of
it, I don't know how? do these cameras have a "backup" battery inside
them?).

Is this the correct operation? (the manual says when the battery is
removed for "and extended time" the camera will forget).
If so, I can hardly believe it!
I really don't want to have to shell out for a dock or (camera
conneted)charger.

Robert Barr

The cheapest solution is to buy a spare battery, and keep one in the
camera all the time. This isn't really much of an inconvenience,
though, since most people like to have a spare battery anyhow.

The higher capacity batteries are pretty inexpensive on eBay.

Geek Junk wrote:

> hi there.
> i just got a new Kodak DX-7440 and i noticed that when I remove the
> battery to charge it (the kodak comes with a seperate battery charger)
> -- upon returning the battery to the camera a couple of hours later,
> the camera has forgotten the time and date!
> My older, cheaper, camera remembers the time/date (come to think of
> it, I don't know how? do these cameras have a "backup" battery inside
> them?).
>
> Is this the correct operation? (the manual says when the battery is
> removed for "and extended time" the camera will forget).
> If so, I can hardly believe it!
> I really don't want to have to shell out for a dock or (camera
> conneted)charger.

SleeperMan

Geek Junk wrote:
> hi there.
> i just got a new Kodak DX-7440 and i noticed that when I remove the
> battery to charge it (the kodak comes with a seperate battery charger)
> -- upon returning the battery to the camera a couple of hours later,
> the camera has forgotten the time and date!
> My older, cheaper, camera remembers the time/date (come to think of
> it, I don't know how? do these cameras have a "backup" battery inside
> them?).
>
> Is this the correct operation? (the manual says when the battery is
> removed for "and extended time" the camera will forget).
> If so, I can hardly believe it!
> I really don't want to have to shell out for a dock or (camera
> conneted)charger.

Some cameras do have a second button battery for this purpose, but if not,
normally will forget after a few minutes.
Best thing to do (in any case) is to have two sets of batteries, so you
charge one set and use other set.

Ken Weitzel

Geek Junk wrote:
> hi there.
> i just got a new Kodak DX-7440 and i noticed that when I remove the
> battery to charge it (the kodak comes with a seperate battery charger)
> -- upon returning the battery to the camera a couple of hours later,
> the camera has forgotten the time and date!
> My older, cheaper, camera remembers the time/date (come to think of
> it, I don't know how? do these cameras have a "backup" battery inside
> them?).
>
> Is this the correct operation? (the manual says when the battery is
> removed for "and extended time" the camera will forget).
> If so, I can hardly believe it!
> I really don't want to have to shell out for a dock or (camera
> conneted)charger.

Hi...

Even if you're not yet ready or able to invest in a
second battery; you just might be able to find a
"dead" one somewhere...

It takes incredibly little energy to retain the cameras
settings, so a battery pack that's useless for taking
pictures will still suffice for installing while
re-charging yours.

Ken

Geek Junk

Robert Barr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> The cheapest solution is to buy a spare battery, and keep one in the
> camera all the time. This isn't really much of an inconvenience,
> though, since most people like to have a spare battery anyhow.
>
> The higher capacity batteries are pretty inexpensive on eBay.

As far as i can tell, this is a proprietary battery.
It's around $20 so i guess it won't break me e.g.:
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Kodak_...99741/p/137502

Another bit of battery minutia is that the Kodak docks come with a
spare battery included -- but they only fit "selected Kodak cameras"
(and mine is not selected). How odd. (the battery included with the
docks is just a cheap two AA cell Ni-Mh).

there is also another alternative -- an AC power adapter that plugs
into the camera. But it costs like 30 bucks(!) so an extra battery
would be cheaper and more useful.

Thanks for the ideas.

Robert Barr

> As far as i can tell, this is a proprietary battery.
> It's around $20 so i guess it won't break me e.g.:
> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Kodak_...99741/p/137502

The battery shown in that link is the KLIC-5000. There's another, the
KLIC-5001, that's almost twice as fat and provides higher capacity (not
sure of the numbers, but it's significant). The bigger battery also
fits in that camera. Probably worth the extra couple of bucks.

Ron Baird

Hi Geek,

Actually, the camera is designed to hold a charge for a short time, about 15
minutes or so. This is in place to help you exchange power supplies.

To get past the more immediate need of the clock etc, I suggest you consider
another battery that you can use for the short time it takes to charge
batteries. Many have chosen to purchase another battery so they are always
at the ready. The option to exchange batteries leaves you able to take
pictures at a moments notice. Nice feature.

Talk to you soon, Geek, let me know if you have additional questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...