Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > watermark

watermark

silvio

I have pictures that I want to post in the internet...what should i do to
prevent people copy them? I heard about one program that when you click on
the picture appeared a window saying "yo can not copy this picture" and stop
you of copy the picture you are unable to do it.

thanks.
please email me.

David Dyer-Bennet

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (silvio) writes:

> I have pictures that I want to post in the internet...what should i
> do to prevent people copy them? I heard about one program that when
> you click on the picture appeared a window saying "yo can not copy
> this picture" and stop you of copy the picture you are unable to do
> it.

To display it on my monitor, the data has to be transferred to my
computer. What you're asking for is impossible; it cannot be done.

Nor does it matter much; screen-resolution versions of your photos
have little or no value, so there's nothing to protect.

To protect what value there *is* (and I have no idea what your photos
are, maybe you have stuff with actual value for web display), pursue
copyright registration, consider using digital watermarking and
employing the service where the watermarking scans the web looking for
photos with your watermark and reports them to you.

The various scripts people tout mostly only prevent the ignorant from
saving a copy of your photo; those who actually want to save a copy
aren't ignorant. Furthermore, they fairly often fail to work, and
prevent people from seeing the photo at all; or at least slow it down
a lot. Furthermore, the stupider scripts tend to annoy people, and
cause them to save a copy of your photo just because you said they
couldn't.

It can be made significantly harder, at the cost of locking out a lot
of people, by doing something like this: Display it via an active-X
plugin (you've just locked out everybody except Windows users running
Internet Explorer) which connects to a special server on your system,
which provides the photo in encrypted form. The plugin must know how
to decrypt it and display it. And needs to do something to prevent
screen capture from working. And I can *still* capture the image
using one of the "virtual PC" programs.

Brian Sheldon

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...
> (E-Mail Removed) (silvio) writes:
> To protect what value there *is* (and I have no idea what your photos
> are, maybe you have stuff with actual value for web display), pursue
> copyright registration, consider using digital watermarking and
> employing the service where the watermarking scans the web looking for
> photos with your watermark and reports them to you.

I went for the other option, using watermark software to add an overlay onto
my images. If anyone wants one they only have to ask so I leave an email
address on the site. I don't mind people using my photos as long as they
either give me credit for it or ask nicely, I didn't used to watermark my
images until someone broke both these rules.