Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printing large photos

Printing large photos

venkatesh.rangarajan@gmail.com

Hi,
I have a sony DSC P8 Camera. I took photos in 1 MB resolutions.

The file size is 1280x960 and 300 DPI. I am able to take very good 8x12
inches prints using this.

I wanted to what is the max print I can take for this resolution ? What
does the quality of the prints depend on ?

Some website where I can get more info on this will be highly
appreciated.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Joseph Meehan

> Hi,
> I have a sony DSC P8 Camera. I took photos in 1 MB resolutions.
>
> The file size is 1280x960 and 300 DPI. I am able to take very good 8x12
> inches prints using this.

As an aside the 300DPI does not relate to the file. DPI is dots per
inch which relates to the print. Files don't have inches.

> I wanted to what is the max print I can take for this resolution ?

Really really big. You can make a 8 foot by 10 foot print if you like.
However if you look at it from a foot away it will not likely look like
much. However sanding 30 feet away, it may look really good.

We tend to look at larger prints from a greater distance.

There are a number of rules of thumb and technical formulas to answer
your question, but the only real answer is what looks good to you. Try
printing it larger and see.

> What
> does the quality of the prints depend on ?

Many many factors. The subject, exposure, focus, lighting, contrast,
post exposure processing, method of printing, paper used, location displayed
and many other factors go into determining how good it will look. it is how
good it looks that determines the quality.

> Some website where I can get more info on this will be highly
> appreciated.

I suggest personal experience will be far more important. I will make
one suggestion. When looking at the results you are getting look closely at
only one number. That number is PPI (Pixels per Inch). Your 8x10 was a
little over 100 ppi. Most people find 150 ppi good for smaller prints (like
smaller than 8x10) and larger prints like 16x20 may do well at 75 ppi.

After making a few prints, you will have a good idea of what you find
pleasing.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

venkatesh.rangarajan@gmail.com

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for the very nice explanation .

One more question ? When buying a camera does the Mega Pixel really
matter in a big way ?

Is there any great value add that I can get by buying a 5 MP camera
over a 3.2 MP camera ?

Rgds,
Venks

Joseph Meehan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
> Thanks for the very nice explanation .
>
> One more question ? When buying a camera does the Mega Pixel really
> matter in a big way ?
>
> Is there any great value add that I can get by buying a 5 MP camera
> over a 3.2 MP camera ?
>
> Rgds,
> Venks

Well it does matter. First more will cost more, all else being equal.
Second more is likely to give better results for larger images. For example
if you were to compare the results from a 3.2 MP camera to my 8.2 MP camera
printed 16x24 side by side I believe you will see a serious difference. On
the other hand if you compare the same images printed 4x6 it would be
difficult or impossible to tell.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Alan Meyer

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jNakd.141645$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi Joseph,
> > Thanks for the very nice explanation .
> >
> > One more question ? When buying a camera does the Mega Pixel really
> > matter in a big way ?
> >
> > Is there any great value add that I can get by buying a 5 MP camera
> > over a 3.2 MP camera ?
> >
> > Rgds,
> > Venks

> Well it does matter. First more will cost more, all else being equal.
> Second more is likely to give better results for larger images. For

example
> if you were to compare the results from a 3.2 MP camera to my 8.2 MP

camera
> printed 16x24 side by side I believe you will see a serious difference.

On
> the other hand if you compare the same images printed 4x6 it would be
> difficult or impossible to tell.

I'd like to add a few remarks to Joseph's excellent answers.

The subject matter of the photo also affects how much you can
enlarge the prints. A photo of something intricate with fine detail
needs more megapixels to look good than a photo of larger
objects where color fidelity may be more important.

I once did a comparison of 3, 4, 5, and 8 MP images
printed at 8x10 (posted to this group - search Google
groups for my postings to RFD and you'll find it) using
images from Steve's digicam website
(http://www.steves-digicams.com). These were photos
of an indoor setup with some magazines, posters, and
a bright red M&M statue. The statue looked great on
all prints. The fine detail looked noticeably better at
8x10 with 4mp than 3 - though only in the fine detail.
It looked very slightly better at 5 than 4. I couldn't tell
that it looked better at all at 8. However if I blew up the
image bigger than 8x10, the 8 looked significantly better
than the 5.

For non-professional use, for family and vacation photos,
and for photos to put on your wall, I am convinced that
3 mp is adequate up to 8x10, and even 2 mp will work
for most photos. For professional use or more demanding
applications, or for larger prints, or for cropping, you
need more pixels.

Alan

Jeremy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
> I have a sony DSC P8 Camera. I took photos in 1 MB resolutions.
>
> The file size is 1280x960 and 300 DPI. I am able to take very good 8x12
> inches prints using this.
>
> I wanted to what is the max print I can take for this resolution ? What
> does the quality of the prints depend on ?
>
> Some website where I can get more info on this will be highly
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Venkatesh

OFOTO.COM has a technical page that gives the minimum requirements for
various sized prints. They claim they can print up to 20x30 from a 2.3 MP
file!