Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A better digital newsgroup??

A better digital newsgroup??

Harvey

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Larry wrote:
> []
>> The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
>> to be picking up on the new digital camera groups. It will
>> take time and traffic to get them going.

> Doesn't sound like a very good paid-for service!
> Have you asked for the new groups to be added?
>
> Cheers,
> David

Probably a more important question would be 'why would he WANT to have it
added...'

Kevin Pfeifle

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:17:14 -0000, Tx2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
>newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
>
>What a disappointment!
>Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
>
>Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
>I'm UK based ...

A great UK based website that has a forum (Panasonic) that has a ton
of FZ20 specific discussions can be found at:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Go to the forums section and then the Panasonic section. Enjoy!

--------------
Kevin
http://www.theperfectsky.com
Email: kpfeifle AT kligerweiss DOT com

Jeremy Nixon

Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
> to be picking up on the new digital camera groups.

Makes one wonder why you pay for them.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
> > to be picking up on the new digital camera groups.

> Makes one wonder why you pay for them.

Actually, after trying over a dozen different providers in
the last five years, I settled on them because of their
reliability, speed, and completeness in some of the groups
I use.

Getting the newest groups soonest takes about 15th place on
my list of reasons for subscribing to a provider.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Toomas

Because it is there. Server what David and I use gets new groups fast,
but carries only text groups. I hope that recent split to two different names
is not prepare to shut down non-german users.

Toomas

"Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:lS7kd.220$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Larry wrote:
>> []
>>> The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
>>> to be picking up on the new digital camera groups. It will
>>> take time and traffic to get them going.

>> Doesn't sound like a very good paid-for service!
>> Have you asked for the new groups to be added?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

> Probably a more important question would be 'why would he WANT to have it
> added...'

Chris D

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:17:14 -0000
Tx2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking
> for a good newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to
> this one.
>
> What a disappointment!
> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally
> off-topic threads.
>
> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
> I'm UK based ...

Have you ever been on Usenet before? I Don't think I've seen
ANY newgroups that fit your criteria in the past few years,
for ANY topic, not just photograpy.... They just don't exist.
There's too many morons on the internet I'm afraid. Forums are
generally better, as most morons can't be bothered registering.

-Chris D

bob

Tx2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) t:

> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
> newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.

This group has a lot of really good content at the theoretical level. You
can learn a lot about digital photography in general, how the stuff works,
and what the newest gear is.

You probably won't learn a lot about your specific camera. I have found the
Yahoo group (groups.yahoo.com) devoted to my camera to be a wonderful
resource.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Simon Jester

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:11:20 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
>> to be picking up on the new digital camera groups.

>Makes one wonder why you pay for them.

My provider is newreader.com and they had the new groups just
as soon as they were formed.

Alan Meyer

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ews.com...
> The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
> to be picking up on the new digital camera groups. It will
> take time and traffic to get them going.

Google has four rec.photo.digital newsgroups, including
..zlr. It's free, web based, and allows you to post.

Alan

Paul J Gans

Tx2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
>newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.

>What a disappointment!
>Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.

>Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
>I'm UK based ...

If you think that there is anywhere an unmoderated newsgroup
without contentious off-topic threads, I suggest that you
are inexperienced.

This is an excellent newsgroup for those interested in digital
cameras. Use your killfile judiciously and you will be fine.

----- Paul J. Gans