Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A better digital newsgroup??

A better digital newsgroup??

Michael Meissner

Tx2 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
> newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
>
> What a disappointment!
> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
>
> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
> I'm UK based ...

Do you know about the Panasonic forum at dpreview.com?

Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: A better digital newsgroup??
>From: "John Taverner" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 11/9/2004 5:24 AM Pacific Standard Time
>

>"Tx2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>
>> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
>> newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
>>
>> What a disappointment!
>> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
>>
>> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
>> I'm UK based ...

>This is a good group, just inhabited frequently by OT trolls.
>Many good tips esp. on links.
>
>JT in UK

Go to Panasonic group websites.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Eric Gill

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:2vbkmeF2ij5dgU1
@uni-berlin.de:

> Tx2 wrote:
>> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a
>> good newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
>>
>> What a disappointment!
>> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic
>> threads.
>>
>> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
>> I'm UK based ...

> Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr

"Tx2" posts from : fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!not-for-mail

"David J Taylor" posts from: fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!not-for-mail

Getting lonely enough to talk to yourself, son?

Bill Hilton

>> What a disappointment!
>> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic
>> threads.
>>
>> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
>> I'm UK based ...

>From: "David J Taylor" (E-Mail Removed)
>
>Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr

Why? The same dumbasses and trolls that post here will post there (once they
can find it).

Try the Yahoo groups or the Forums at sites like dpreview, any place you have
to register tends to be less silly, though I recently subscribed to the
EpsonWideFormat group and 80% of that was nonsense political rants ... or start
filling up your kill files with filters if you want to use Usenet.

Michael A. Covington

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr
> rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
> rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

Sadly, they have not yet made it to my ISP. I'll prod them.

David J Taylor

Larry wrote:
[]
> As of this AM:
>
> Not on Giganews
> Not on Easynews
> Not on any of the "Freebie" providers

It /is/ on some free providers.

As you say, it will take a while for the new groups to become established.

Cheers,
David

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, david-
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> It /is/ on some free providers.
>
> As you say, it will take a while for the new groups to become established.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Sadly, I cant get a connection (for some reason) on a good
chunk of the free providers, and the ones I can connect
with either lists the groups I want, but they are empty, or
they dont carry the groups I want.

The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
to be picking up on the new digital camera groups. It will
take time and traffic to get them going.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

David J Taylor

Larry wrote:
[]
> The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
> to be picking up on the new digital camera groups. It will
> take time and traffic to get them going.

Doesn't sound like a very good paid-for service!
Have you asked for the new groups to be added?

Cheers,
David

Tony

Learn to use filters or forget it.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Tx2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
> newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
>
> What a disappointment!
> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
>
> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
> I'm UK based ...

Matt Ion

Tx2 wrote:
> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
> newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
>
> What a disappointment!
> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.

Welcome to Usenet - you'll find this in almost every non-moderated group
(and some poorly-moderated ones as well). I'm not aware of any
moderated digital-photo groups, at least not via my newsserver.

> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
> I'm UK based ...

You might be better off on a website discussion board;
www.shuttertalk.com is a good one for all manner of general photography
chat. www.photosig.com is a good site to share and critique photos.