Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > dilemma: buy a canon a95 now or wait for a better one

dilemma: buy a canon a95 now or wait for a better one

name

Hello.

My main priorities for buying a new camera is having a swivel lens or
LCD display and the camera has to work on AA batteries.
I also like the LCD screen to be at least 1.8" and I prefer cameras
with a good optical zoom capability (at least 3x optical zoom).
Anything above 3 megapixels is fine, although 5 megapixels or more is
preferred.
CF is also preferred instead of SD, but both memory types are
acceptable.

I was thinking of buying a canon A95 since it satisfies my primary
concerns (runs on AA batteries and has a swivel display) and seems to
get overwhelmingly positive reviews.
However, I'm not very satisfied with the 3x optical zoom.
I'd love to have a camera with 12x zoom (like the panasonic lumix
f710) and image stabilizer and I would be willing to spend more money
on a camera, provided it runs on AA batteries and offers a swivel lens
or display.
The sony f828 is the only one that comes close with more optical zoom
(7x) because it has a swivel lens but it still employs a proprietary
lithium ion accu.

I've used a casio QV-8000SX extensively in the past and I'm very
satisfied with its features (particularly the swivel lens and the fact
that it runs on AA batteries). I'm also puzzled why casio seems to
have abandoned their swivel lens camera series. I also have a minolta
dimage Xi and an extra accu costs 55 euros, while I pay only 18 euros
for 4 x NiMH AA which seem to outperform the shitty lithium-ion accu
by far.
So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
lithium-ion accus.

Now I was wondering if there are any cameras expected to be released
in the near future that would be worth considering, given my concerns
based on previous experience with digital cameras (casio qv8000sx and
minolta dimage xi).
I'm also interested in other cameras currently on the market that
might have eluded my attention but satisfy my constraints.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on these questions/ideas, kind
regards, Niek

tomcas

name wrote:
> Hello.
>
> My main priorities for buying a new camera is having a swivel lens or
> LCD display and the camera has to work on AA batteries.
> I also like the LCD screen to be at least 1.8" and I prefer cameras
> with a good optical zoom capability (at least 3x optical zoom).
> Anything above 3 megapixels is fine, although 5 megapixels or more is
> preferred.
> CF is also preferred instead of SD, but both memory types are
> acceptable.
>
> I was thinking of buying a canon A95 since it satisfies my primary
> concerns (runs on AA batteries and has a swivel display) and seems to
> get overwhelmingly positive reviews.
> However, I'm not very satisfied with the 3x optical zoom.
> I'd love to have a camera with 12x zoom (like the panasonic lumix
> f710) and image stabilizer and I would be willing to spend more money
> on a camera, provided it runs on AA batteries and offers a swivel lens
> or display.
> The sony f828 is the only one that comes close with more optical zoom
> (7x) because it has a swivel lens but it still employs a proprietary
> lithium ion accu.
>
> I've used a casio QV-8000SX extensively in the past and I'm very
> satisfied with its features (particularly the swivel lens and the fact
> that it runs on AA batteries). I'm also puzzled why casio seems to
> have abandoned their swivel lens camera series. I also have a minolta
> dimage Xi and an extra accu costs 55 euros, while I pay only 18 euros
> for 4 x NiMH AA which seem to outperform the shitty lithium-ion accu
> by far.
> So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
> lithium-ion accus.
>
> Now I was wondering if there are any cameras expected to be released
> in the near future that would be worth considering, given my concerns
> based on previous experience with digital cameras (casio qv8000sx and
> minolta dimage xi).
> I'm also interested in other cameras currently on the market that
> might have eluded my attention but satisfy my constraints.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback on these questions/ideas, kind
> regards, Niek

Have you checked out the Canon S1?
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

name

tomcas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<9U1kd.49840$(E-Mail Removed) .net>...
>[..]
> Have you checked out the Canon S1?
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

Yes, I've noticed that one. It also looks very interesting but the
display is a bit small (1.5 ") and it is only 3 megapixels.
But 10 times zoom is great and it also has image stabalization and
runs on AA
batteries.
If there was a new model with 4 or 5 megapixels and a 1.8" or larger
screen (like on the canon powershot a95) it would definitely be very
appealing to me.

David J Taylor

name wrote:
[]
> If there was a new model with 4 or 5 megapixels and a 1.8" or larger
> screen (like on the canon powershot a95) it would definitely be very
> appealing to me.

Panasonic FZ20 or similar?

David

name

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> name wrote:
> []
> > If there was a new model with 4 or 5 megapixels and a 1.8" or larger
> > screen (like on the canon powershot a95) it would definitely be very
> > appealing to me.

> Panasonic FZ20 or similar?
>
> David

It looks very interesting with 12x zoom (and image stabilization) and
5 megapixels but I will never buy a camera with a proprietary
lithium-ion again
and I insist on buying a camera with a swiveling lens or display (like
on the canon powershot a95 or the canon powershot s1).

Alan Meyer

"name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> have abandoned their swivel lens camera series. I also have a minolta
> dimage Xi and an extra accu costs 55 euros, while I pay only 18 euros
> for 4 x NiMH AA which seem to outperform the shitty lithium-ion accu
> by far.
> So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
> lithium-ion accus.

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately however, the LiON batteries
have a higher energy density. Many camera manufacturers use them
because they allow the cameras to be smaller and lighter.

I hate proprietary batteries but I want a small, lightweight camera
and will have to resign myself to them.

> Now I was wondering if there are any cameras expected to be released
> in the near future that would be worth considering, given my concerns
> based on previous experience with digital cameras (casio qv8000sx and
> minolta dimage xi).

It is the nature of electronics that, the day after you buy a
(camera, computer, PDA, cell phone - pick one) a new model
will be introduced that is (faster, better, cheaper - pick two).

If you are lucky, you will go a few days or weeks before you
see an announcement of something better than what you bought.

But what can you do? If you need a camera now, you'll have
to pick from what's available. If you don't need it now, wait
until you need one.

Alan

David J Taylor

Alan Meyer wrote:
[]
>> So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
>> lithium-ion accus.

> You're absolutely right. Unfortunately however, the LiON batteries
> have a higher energy density. Many camera manufacturers use them
> because they allow the cameras to be smaller and lighter.
>
> I hate proprietary batteries but I want a small, lightweight camera
> and will have to resign myself to them.

So why doesn't one of the campaigning consumer rights types take up this
issue?

Let's go for:

- one standard size of 7.4V 700mAH which will fit a wide range of digital
cameras and which can be bought at the high street store. Aim price GBP
10 or USD 15. Insist that camera manufacturers make cameras that accept
this new standard.

OK, it won't happen tomorrow, and perhaps there needs to be an 1100/1400
mAH standard as well.

"We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"

David

George E. Cawthon

David J Taylor wrote:

> Alan Meyer wrote:
> []
> >> So I've learned my lesson well to stay away from proprietary
> >> lithium-ion accus.

> > You're absolutely right. Unfortunately however, the LiON batteries
> > have a higher energy density. Many camera manufacturers use them
> > because they allow the cameras to be smaller and lighter.
> >
> > I hate proprietary batteries but I want a small, lightweight camera
> > and will have to resign myself to them.

> So why doesn't one of the campaigning consumer rights types take up this
> issue?
>
> Let's go for:
>
> - one standard size of 7.4V 700mAH which will fit a wide range of digital
> cameras and which can be bought at the high street store. Aim price GBP
> 10 or USD 15. Insist that camera manufacturers make cameras that accept
> this new standard.
>
> OK, it won't happen tomorrow, and perhaps there needs to be an 1100/1400
> mAH standard as well.
>
> "We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"
>
> David

Standardization would be great but why only 700 mAh (by the way it is
mAh Not mAH)? I bought spare 1000 mAh batteries for my Nikon
(original rated at 680 mAh) for $13.

David J Taylor

George E. Cawthon wrote:
[]
>> Let's go for:
>>
>> - one standard size of 7.4V 700mAH which will fit a wide range of
>> digital cameras and which can be bought at the high street store.
>> Aim price GBP 10 or USD 15. Insist that camera manufacturers make
>> cameras that accept this new standard.
>>
>> OK, it won't happen tomorrow, and perhaps there needs to be an
>> 1100/1400 mAH standard as well.
>>
>> "We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"
>>
>> David

> Standardization would be great but why only 700 mAh (by the way it is
> mAh Not mAH)? I bought spare 1000 mAh batteries for my Nikon
> (original rated at 680 mAh) for $13.

Oh, 700mAh was just a starting point, as that you suit Nikon 5400, 5700,
Panasonic FZ20 etc (i.e. the ones I have access to!). Perhaps we should
have a log scale? 700mAh, 1000mAh, 1400mAh, 2000mAh etc.

Sorry about the "H" - I tend to think of diminutive prefixes as lower
case and magnifying prefixes as upper case. That left the "H" to be
associated with the "A". There was Mr Ampere, but no Mr. Hour!

Cheers,
David

Alan Meyer

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "We want standard Lion batteries for our cameras!"

You've got my vote.

And while we're at it, we want standard batteries for laptop
computers and cell phones.

Alan