Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Rebel and .JPG size

Digital Rebel and .JPG size

Alan Meyer

"jk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TzRjd.45989$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Be patient with me. Here's my problem with my brand new camera. I need
> fairly small pics of things that I put up on Ebay. At the smallest auto
> setting on my Rebel, the pix are roughly 500,000 kb and resolution 150
> pixels/in. These are way to big and thus slow to load. If I edit them down
> to about 4" wide, they only get down to about 300,000kb. I'm not
> knowledgable enough to figure out exactly what to change to achieve good
> quality, but make them smaller at the same time. I notice that as I bring
> the resolution down, the pixel demensions go down but the image size stays
> the same? Can someone either point me to a tutorial, or explain the
> relationship between these settings? Is there a camera setting that will
> enable me to take alot of pictures and minimize the editing? Thanks!
>
> --
> JK Sinrod
> Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
> www.sinrodstudios.com
> Coney Island Memories
> www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

Hi JK,

This is Alan from A.S.C.P.

Another free and very easy to use program for this is IrfanView.
Go to http://www.irfanview.com/ and download IrfanView
and the plugins. When installing, you get a choice of not
installing the Ebay stuff - I recommend de-selecting that.

In Irfanview you can load an image with File, Open.
Then Ctrl-R to resize/resample (pick resample) and
enter the size you want, e.g., 800x600 or 640x400,
both good sizes for the web.

Then do the following:

Shift-S to sharpen the image (if desired, if you don't
like it, Ctrl-Z changes it back).
S to save the image with a new name.
In the save dialog, uncheck all the boxes that
have to do with saving information in the image.
Then give it a new filename and click Save.

I and many other people use IrfanView as their main
image viewer. It's probably the most popular image
viewing software in the world and it handles almost
every conceivable format.

Feel free to email me if you need any more help.

Alan

Big Bill

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:42:22 GMT, "jk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gisle Hannemyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "jk" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > I'm using Paintshop Pro 8.0 It's much less complicated. So you all
>> > think I should reduce the size using pixel control instead of
>> > resolution?

>> Yes!
>>
>> > I have the camera set at the lowest quality now,

>> At its lowest quality, the file size from the dRebel is
>> 1536x1024 pixels. This is much more than is suitable for
>> web publication (which is 450x300 or 600x400 pixels).
>>
>> You can't produce images suitable for the web /directly/ from a
>> dRebel (if you want web-quality from your camera,

> Thanks Giselle! In PSP 8, when I change the pixel size or print size they
>both proportionally changed..... but when I change the resolution, only the
>pixel size changes and the print size remains the same. So I can lower the
>res to reduce the pixel size, or reduce the pixel size which will reduce the
>print size. Which method will reduce the file size more? It's a bit
>confusing, thanks for your patience.

What will probably work best is 'resizing' the image to 600x400.
This way, the image will be that size on anyone's monitor, and the
file size will be small enough for quick downloading.
Forget print size; you're not printing the image, and only confusing
things for yourself. Resize is what you're doing.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Gisle Hannemyr

"jk" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Gisle Hannemyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "jk" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> I'm using Paintshop Pro 8.0 It's much less complicated. So you all
>>> think I should reduce the size using pixel control instead of
>>> resolution?

>> Yes!

>>> I have the camera set at the lowest quality now,

>> At its lowest quality, the file size from the dRebel is
>> 1536x1024 pixels. This is much more than is suitable for
>> web publication (which is 450x300 or 600x400 pixels).

> Thanks Giselle! In PSP 8, when I change the pixel size or print size
> they both proportionally changed..... but when I change the
> resolution, only the pixel size changes and the print size remains
> the same. So I can lower the res to reduce the pixel size, or reduce
> the pixel size which will reduce the print size. Which method will
> reduce the file size more? It's a bit confusing, thanks for your
> patience.

When preparing images for the web, you should /ignore/ the "resolution"
and "print size" parts of the resize dialogue.

Just change the pixel size to something suitable for the web.
I suggest 450x300 or 600x400 pixels.

You are making this far too complicated.
When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?