Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digitizing old pictures

Digitizing old pictures

eNo

I need to scan/digitize some old printed pictures. I have a 5MP Sony FD-717
and would like to avoid buying a scanner. In the past, I read about
attachments one can use in conjunction with a digital camera to take
pictures of old printed pictures. Anyone know of one that will work well
with the Sony FD-717?

--
`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,` `,,,,
eNo

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:33:14 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "eNo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need to scan/digitize some old printed pictures. I have a 5MP Sony FD-717
>and would like to avoid buying a scanner. In the past, I read about
>attachments one can use in conjunction with a digital camera to take
>pictures of old printed pictures. Anyone know of one that will work well
>with the Sony FD-717?

I believe you are remember slide attachments which let old slides or
negatives be photographed, not prints.
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

YAG-ART

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:22:45 -0500, Ed Ruf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:33:14 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "eNo"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I need to scan/digitize some old printed pictures. I have a 5MP Sony FD-717
>>and would like to avoid buying a scanner. In the past, I read about
>>attachments one can use in conjunction with a digital camera to take
>>pictures of old printed pictures. Anyone know of one that will work well
>>with the Sony FD-717?

>I believe you are remember slide attachments which let old slides or
>negatives be photographed, not prints.

You just use a copy stand. Or you can mount the images flat on a
wall, and use a tripod under the camera. Aim the camera at the middle
of the image (must be at the same hight as the middle of the image).
then add lighting to the image and shoot. It also helps to have the
image you are coping to be flat.

ZONED!

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:33:14 -0800, "eNo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need to scan/digitize some old printed pictures. I have a 5MP Sony FD-717
>and would like to avoid buying a scanner. In the past, I read about
>attachments one can use in conjunction with a digital camera to take
>pictures of old printed pictures. Anyone know of one that will work well
>with the Sony FD-717?
>
>--
>`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,` `,,,,
>eNo
>"Test everything; hold on to the good."
>`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,` `,,,,

"Some" being a bit vague, if it is just a few, perhaps you might look
into using an office service such as Kinko's. You can scan until your
budget runs out and copy all to a CD. The results of a decent scanner
on prints will be better than taking another picture of them.

lefty

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:33:14 -0800, "eNo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need to scan/digitize some old printed pictures. I have a 5MP Sony FD-717
>and would like to avoid buying a scanner. In the past, I read about
>attachments one can use in conjunction with a digital camera to take
>pictures of old printed pictures. Anyone know of one that will work well
>with the Sony FD-717?

You can buy a copy stand...but a table or wall works just as well. If
they are still really glossy... use the matte glass from and 8X10
frame to cover and add light..

zeitgeist

"eNo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fdNjd.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need to scan/digitize some old printed pictures. I have a 5MP Sony

FD-717
> and would like to avoid buying a scanner. In the past, I read about
> attachments one can use in conjunction with a digital camera to take
> pictures of old printed pictures. Anyone know of one that will work well
> with the Sony FD-717?

find an enlarger being dumped, take the head off and use the rest for a copy
stand.