Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's a good "Photoshop Lite" program?

What's a good "Photoshop Lite" program?

Rick N.

Greetings, newsgroup!

I am still enjoying my Minolta DimageX camera. The software that came with
it allows me to rotate an image and adjust brightness and hue.

But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces unrecognizable (by
blurring or whatever you call it).

Adobe Photoshop is an expert tool for expert users. I tried it on someone
else's computer and couldn't even look up anything in the help because I
don't know the vocabulary of image processing at the expert level.

I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I would be
willing to spend up to $40 or so.

Chris D

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:47:17 GMT
"Rick N." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for
> dilletantes who just want to crop and blur faces. Do you have
> any suggestions? I would be willing to spend up to $40 or so.

The GIMP is Free, and I *think* will do all you want to. (I Use
it, but don't do much with it yet)

http://www.gimp.org/

Might as well try it - If it works, you save $40, if it doesn't,
you lose nothing.

-Chris D

Christopher Pollard

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:47:17 GMT, "Rick N." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
>want to crop and blur faces.

Try Photo Deluxe:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photod.../demodnld.html

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

wald

"Rick N." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Greetings, newsgroup!
>
> I am still enjoying my Minolta DimageX camera. The software
> that came with it allows me to rotate an image and adjust
> brightness and hue.
>
> But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces
> unrecognizable (by blurring or whatever you call it).

http://www.irfanview.com/

Regards,
Wald

Phil Wheeler

PhotoBrush is pretty good and inexpensive. Uses Photoshop plug-ins, too
-- I think.

Irfanbrush does many things and is free.

Photoshop Elements 3 has much of Photoshop in it. Costs about $100 but
there are deals around making it about half of that.

Phil

Rick N. wrote:

> Greetings, newsgroup!
>
> I am still enjoying my Minolta DimageX camera. The software that came with
> it allows me to rotate an image and adjust brightness and hue.
>
> But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces unrecognizable (by
> blurring or whatever you call it).
>
> Adobe Photoshop is an expert tool for expert users. I tried it on someone
> else's computer and couldn't even look up anything in the help because I
> don't know the vocabulary of image processing at the expert level.
>
> I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
> want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I would be
> willing to spend up to $40 or so.

David J Taylor

Rick N. wrote:
[]
> I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who
> just want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I
> would be willing to spend up to $40 or so.

Rick, Paint Shop Pro is a little more than that, but is 90% of the full
Photoshop (which costs many dollars!). It has some features like Noise
Reduction and Chromatic Aberration reduction that aren't even in
Photoshop. I rate the program highly in part because of the helpful
attitude of the people in the JASC User Forums (free).

Cheers,
David

Michael A. Covington

Adobe Photoshop Elements. And learn the vocabulary. It's part of the
craft.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Rick N." http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
>want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions?

Try the free sample downloads for Elements and Paintshop Pro, those are the two
most popular consumer programs under $100. You can often find one or the other
on sale for $50 or so. I would chose Elements because it's easier to migrate
to Photoshop from it and because the color management is better, but for what
you describe as your needs either would work fine.

YAG-ART

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:47:17 GMT, "Rick N." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings, newsgroup!
>
>I am still enjoying my Minolta DimageX camera. The software that came with
>it allows me to rotate an image and adjust brightness and hue.
>
>But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces unrecognizable (by
>blurring or whatever you call it).
>
>Adobe Photoshop is an expert tool for expert users. I tried it on someone
>else's computer and couldn't even look up anything in the help because I
>don't know the vocabulary of image processing at the expert level.
>
>I know there are simpler and cheaper applications for dilletantes who just
>want to crop and blur faces. Do you have any suggestions? I would be
>willing to spend up to $40 or so.

GIMP is free, but I find harder to use the Photoshop. You can try and
find a good price on Photoshop Elements. Most applications let you
crop, its the blurring of the faces that presents the challange

fortknight

Rick N. wrote:

> But I want to crop. Sometimes I want to make faces unrecognizable (by
> blurring or whatever you call it).

Be careful with preview images, and reversable blur. Many an amateur
wife has been outed by an unwitting photographer who has not properly
understood thier tools.