Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 20D 12V Auto Adaptor

Canon 20D 12V Auto Adaptor

Jerry Shaw

I just got my Canon 20D. I'd like to use a hip-mounted 12V gel cell battery
pack to power it, as it would run a much longer time with one of those packs.

Canon has a "DC Coupler DR-400" that looks like a simple hunk of plastic the
shape and size of a BP-511A battery, with a power cord on the end. It plugs in
in place of the BP-511A battery. And looking over the manual, it looks like
there is no other way to supply external power to the camera. In fact, the
ACK-E2 AC Adapter Kit includes this coupler for powering the camera.

Are there any other third-party sources of 12V DC to BP-511A adapters, that
will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they have
one for the 20D.

Jerry

Joseph Meehan

Jerry Shaw wrote:
> I just got my Canon 20D. I'd like to use a hip-mounted 12V gel cell
> battery
> pack to power it, as it would run a much longer time with one of those
> packs.
>
> Canon has a "DC Coupler DR-400" that looks like a simple hunk of plastic
> the
> shape and size of a BP-511A battery, with a power cord on the end. It
> plugs
> in in place of the BP-511A battery. And looking over the manual, it looks
> like there is no other way to supply external power to the camera. In
> fact,
> the ACK-E2 AC Adapter Kit includes this coupler for powering the camera.
>
> Are there any other third-party sources of 12V DC to BP-511A adapters,
> that
> will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they
> have
> one for the 20D.
>
> Jerry

How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two BP-511
batteries and they will last a long time between charges.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

PhotoMan

Joseph Meehan wrote:

> How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two
> BP-511 batteries and they will last a long time between charges.

Canon also make the BP-514 battery, with a 1390 MAH capacity. Two of them
should allow you to take from 1500 to 2000 shots, depending on use of the
built in flash and LCD for previews. The BP-511 is rated at 1100 MAH.
Joe Arnold

Don

Joe

Is there a way of actually calculating the extra use you would get with a
BP514 as to the BP511 if you were using the same shot settings, light etc
etc?

regards

Don
"PhotoMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sWgjd.278631$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
>> How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two
>> BP-511 batteries and they will last a long time between charges.

> Canon also make the BP-514 battery, with a 1390 MAH capacity. Two of them
> should allow you to take from 1500 to 2000 shots, depending on use of the
> built in flash and LCD for previews. The BP-511 is rated at 1100 MAH.
> Joe Arnold

PhotoMan

Don wrote:
> Joe
>
> Is there a way of actually calculating the extra use you would get
> with a BP514 as to the BP511 if you were using the same shot
> settings, light etc etc?

It's not as simple as figuring for example the electricity used by a 100
watt light bulb for a specified period of time. Even when you leave all the
settings unchanged (file size, jpeg compression, etc.) the photos will each
have differences in them.Also, file write-time to the memory card varies
with the speed ratings of various cards. I suppose if you just mounted the
camera on a tripod and repeatedly shot the same scene until the battery(s)
go dead the test would be valid, but that's not a real life scenario. I see
some significant file size differences from shot to shot when there are
lighter or darker areas in the scenes even though the f-stop and shutter
speed are the same from shot to shot. I do know Canon have their standard
test routines, but I don't know how they do it. I have a drebel with the
BG-E1 Battery Grip, and the two BP-511's last for about 800 - 900 shots. If
I use the 70-200L IS lens, that drops quite a bit because of the IS system
motor. Temperature has a large effect also. Lotsa variables!
Joe

Joseph Meehan

Don wrote:
> Joe
>
> Is there a way of actually calculating the extra use you would get with a
> BP514 as to the BP511 if you were using the same shot settings, light etc
> etc?
>
> regards
>
> Don
> "PhotoMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:sWgjd.278631$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>>
>>> How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two
>>> BP-511 batteries and they will last a long time between charges.

>> Canon also make the BP-514 battery, with a 1390 MAH capacity. Two of them
>> should allow you to take from 1500 to 2000 shots, depending on use of the
>> built in flash and LCD for previews. The BP-511 is rated at 1100 MAH.
>> Joe Arnold

Only a rough guess of about 20 - 25%

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ken Tough

Jerry Shaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are there any other third-party sources of 12V DC to BP-511A adapters, that
>will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they have
>one for the 20D.

What sort of input jack does it need? Radio Shack does a nice
DC-to-DC unit which can take any of the standard swappable jacks.
It's generally possible to get barrel jacks that fit just about
anything, including Sony. That adapter supplies enough current
for laptops, about 70 W (around 4A) so give it a thought.

--
Ken Tough

ZONED!

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:04:34 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snipped

> How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two BP-511
>batteries and they will last a long time between charges.
>
>--
>Joseph E. Meehan
>
>26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Do you use the grip? I got one and had to sent it back immedietly, due
to a supposed connecting screw length problem. The camera would not
work at all with it. BTW... I have been wanting to ask....
what is the meaning of your Sig?

Joseph Meehan

ZONED! wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:04:34 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> snipped
>>
>> How much do you need? With the battery grip, you can use two BP-511
>> batteries and they will last a long time between charges.
>>
>> --
>> Joseph E. Meehan
>>
>> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

> Do you use the grip? I got one and had to sent it back immedietly, due
> to a supposed connecting screw length problem. The camera would not
> work at all with it. BTW... I have been wanting to ask....

I have it and it works. Make sure you have the one for the 20D. A prior
one for older Canons looks just like it, but it will not fit. I wonder if
that could be the problem.

> what is the meaning of your Sig?

26 Counties of the Republic (The South) and 6 Counties of the North
equal one whole country, people and island as it was before the English

Dia 's Muire duit
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Ken Tough wrote:
> Jerry Shaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Are there any other third-party sources of 12V DC to BP-511A adapters,
>> that
>> will fit a Canon 20D? I've tried LenMar, and they don't look like they
>> have
>> one for the 20D.

> What sort of input jack does it need? Radio Shack does a nice
> DC-to-DC unit which can take any of the standard swappable jacks.
> It's generally possible to get barrel jacks that fit just about
> anything, including Sony. That adapter supplies enough current
> for laptops, about 70 W (around 4A) so give it a thought.

I would also need to match the voltage.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math