Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Flash Photography

Flash Photography

leo

What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
lights?

Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.

By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I do
something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

Gene Palmiter

Some general things since I don't have your camera. Do you not trust your
camera to do a good job on its own? My Oly E-10 does a great job if I just
pop up the flash on Program mode. I often use just that if caught unawares
without more tools. Additional tools might include add on flash with bounce
hood and sometimes a slave flash to get the background lit up too.

Try it on auto and see if you need to adjust. ISO 800 seems a bit much. 1/60
is good...some cameras do it faster. F-stop depends on guide number and
distance. Keep people wearing white and white objects to the rear. Move
people wearing black to the side and forward.

"leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:etEid.4534$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
> lights?
>
> Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
>
> By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
> compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I

do
> something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
> The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <etEid.4534$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
"leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
> lights?
>
> Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
>
> By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
> compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I do
> something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
> The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

You might want to tint the flash so it matches the incandescent light
better. Adjust the shutter time to control how much ambient lighting
you capture.

I wouldn't look for "the correct way." It's going to vary for each
situation. Luckily you can experiment on a digicam before doing the
serious shooting.

leo

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Some general things since I don't have your camera. Do you not trust your
> camera to do a good job on its own? My Oly E-10 does a great job if I just
> pop up the flash on Program mode. I often use just that if caught unawares
> without more tools. Additional tools might include add on flash with
> bounce
> hood and sometimes a slave flash to get the background lit up too.
>
> Try it on auto and see if you need to adjust. ISO 800 seems a bit much.
> 1/60
> is good...some cameras do it faster. F-stop depends on guide number and
> distance. Keep people wearing white and white objects to the rear. Move
> people wearing black to the side and forward.
>

> "leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:etEid.4534$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>> What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
>> lights?
>>
>> Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
>>
>> By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
>> compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I

> do
>> something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure
>> compensation?
>> The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

ISO 800 is an attempt to capture the background farther from the subjects.

I found out when using manual mode, I have to do a pre-flash for FEL to get
the same result as P mode.

Nevertheless, it's still underexpose in some situations and I have to set
FEC.

zeitgeist

> What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
> lights?
>
> Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
>
> By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
> compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I

do
> something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
> The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

I set the flash as low as I can, use a tripod and set the shutter so the
ambient light level comes up to one stop under the flash expo. this gives
me lots of detail in the background and a great sense of depth.

also, I wouldn't discount bounce, especially if you use a tripod. its
digital, give it a try, if it doesn't work delete.

Crownfield

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

> In article <etEid.4534$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
> "leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > What is the correct way to use flash indoor, lighting by incandescent
> > lights?
> >
> > Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel and 550EX.
> >
> > By using 17-40/4, ISO 800, M mode, f/4, 1/60sec and +1stop Flash exposure
> > compensation, I get decent result. Is this the correct method or should I do
> > something else so that I don't need to use +1 flash exposure compensation?
> > The place is large and bounce flash is not feasible.

> You might want to tint the flash

calumetphoto.com sells gells
that convert daylight / flash to tungsten.

> so it matches the incandescent light
> better. Adjust the shutter time to control how much ambient lighting
> you capture.
>
> I wouldn't look for "the correct way." It's going to vary for each
> situation. Luckily you can experiment on a digicam before doing the
> serious shooting.

Don

I use a 10D and 550 EX, so don't think there would be too much difference
with your rebel and 550EX. Unless I wish to use slow or high speed sync
then the program mode will work very well for you as the whole system as a
package is very smart. Learn to use the flash exposure lock if the rebel
has it as this is great for shooting in pubs and other such places where the
light is all over the place. I have been trying to find a good book on
flash photography myself but apart from sum minor stuff by John Freeman and
Arthur Morris I haven't come across much so would be interested in any
feedback on good publications as well.

regards

Don from Down Under