Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon i9900 printer

Canon i9900 printer

numberdude

Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This printer
came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13" x
19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've read
a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have said
that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent
in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened
to get bad ones.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Allen

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

numberdude wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This printer
> came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13" x
> 19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've read
> a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have said
> that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
> looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent
> in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened
> to get bad ones.
>
> Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Allen

I have one and have printed at least that many prints and have observed no
banding (I'm very picky about print quality).

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

Frank ess

BenOne© wrote:
> numberdude wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This
>> printer came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that
>> can print 13" x 19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line.
>> Costs about $400. I've read a few reviews that say the output
>> quality is very good, but some have said that "banding" occurs after
>> only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm looking for except the
>> banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent in the design
>> of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened to get
>> bad ones. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Allen
>>

> I have one and have printed at least that many prints and have
> observed no banding (I'm very picky about print quality).

I have one. Still in the box. This thing is so potent its mere presence
in the house revived my old (old!) Epson Stylus Photo 750, cured its
nozzle-plugging problem, and rendered 750 ink cartridges invisible to
all Staples, Office Depot, and CompUSA personnel.

I'm thinking of storing the i9900 in an un-restored 1967 MGB GT
currently mouldering out back. Who knows what other miracles it can
wreak?

-- Frank ess

Jer

Frank ess wrote:

[....]

> I'm thinking of storing the i9900 in an un-restored 1967 MGB GT
> currently mouldering out back. Who knows what other miracles it can
> wreak?

Frank, that sounds like an excellent idea. But, I'm certain you'd
prefer to have empirical evidence for this, so I'd like to volunteer a
'66 Dodge Dart for this worthy cause. If it can handle a 225ci slant
six, you'll need to figure a way to bottle the magic.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
I'm Jer and I approved this message.

DJ

I *thought* I had a banding problem on my i9950 virtually out of the box. I
finally traced it back to the cheap generic photo paper paper I was using. I had
earlier scoffed at suggestions that the paper could cause banding, but I really
did observe it for myself. My analysis is that the inks don't wet this
particluar paper properly, resulting in banding. Now, even with Kodak Every Day
Paper I get very nice results, and I keep a supply of genuine Canon papers for
special projects.

dj

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:19:49 -0500, "numberdude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This printer
>came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13" x
>19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've read
>a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have said
>that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
>looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent
>in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened
>to get bad ones.
>
>Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Allen

golden67

I have had one for 3 months and have had no problems,

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:48:59 +1100, DJ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I *thought* I had a banding problem on my i9950 virtually out of the box. I
>finally traced it back to the cheap generic photo paper paper I was using. I had
>earlier scoffed at suggestions that the paper could cause banding, but I really
>did observe it for myself. My analysis is that the inks don't wet this
>particluar paper properly, resulting in banding. Now, even with Kodak Every Day
>Paper I get very nice results, and I keep a supply of genuine Canon papers for
>special projects.
>
>dj
>

>On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:19:49 -0500, "numberdude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This printer
>>came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13" x
>>19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've read
>>a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have said
>>that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
>>looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent
>>in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened
>>to get bad ones.
>>
>>Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>Allen

bmoag

I find Canon printers to be technically excellent machines and banding is
not a generic issue. However Canon printers are somewhat limited out of the
box because of a lack of canned paper profiles for color management because
Canon makes only a limited number of amateur style paper surfaces and for
obvious reasons will only include profiles for Canon papers. The way Canon
implements color management in its basic driver is a bit of a kludge also
and in my experience does not yield as predicatable results as with Epson's
drivers. However if one has the time, equipment and technical expertise to
create one's own paper profiles I would not hesitate to get a 9900 because
it is capable of making awesome prints. If you are going to use cheapo
papers and third party inks and don't use color management why would you
spend $500 for a printer of this class?

numberdude wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This printer
> came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13" x
> 19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've read
> a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have said
> that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
> looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is inherent
> in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just happened
> to get bad ones.
>
> Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Allen

No serious photographer in their right mind would use a Canon printer.
The life of their prints is bloody awful!

The banding problem is most often caused by having a transformer or
flouresent light near the printer. It can also happen if the (USB)cable
goes past a transformer or something generating a magnetic resonance.

Way better to go with HP or Epson. God, even Lexmark's ink last longer
than Canon's.

Doug

Skip M

"..." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> numberdude wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience with the Canon i9900 printer? This
>> printer
>> came out only a few months ago. It's an 8 color inkjet that can print 13"
>> 19" at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Canon's top-of-the-line. Costs about $400. I've
>> read
>> a few reviews that say the output quality is very good, but some have
>> said
>> that "banding" occurs after only 30 or 40 prints. It has everything I'm
>> looking for except the banding problem. I wonder if the problem is
>> inherent
>> in the design of the print head or maybe a few unlucky souls just
>> happened
>> to get bad ones.
>>
>> Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Allen
>>

> No serious photographer in their right mind would use a Canon printer. The
> life of their prints is bloody awful!
>
> The banding problem is most often caused by having a transformer or
> flouresent light near the printer. It can also happen if the (USB)cable
> goes past a transformer or something generating a magnetic resonance.
>
> Way better to go with HP or Epson. God, even Lexmark's ink last longer
> than Canon's.
>
> Doug

You are becoming the George Preddy of the printer set.
I have a Canon S9000 and I've been very happy with the results. I'm
currently testing one print on Ilford Classic Pearl that's been setting out
for a but a month. I have prints from the printer under glass and in
portfolios that date to when I got the printer that haven't faded a whit.
I'm a pretty serious photographer, and those around me still say I'm in my
right mind, 'though undertaking a wedding photographer's life may be strong
evidence to the contrary.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Skip M wrote:

> You are becoming the George Preddy of the printer set.
> I have a Canon S9000 and I've been very happy with the results. I'm
> currently testing one print on Ilford Classic Pearl that's been setting out
> for a but a month. I have prints from the printer under glass and in
> portfolios that date to when I got the printer that haven't faded a whit.
> I'm a pretty serious photographer, and those around me still say I'm in my
> right mind, 'though undertaking a wedding photographer's life may be strong
> evidence to the contrary.

Some people like yourself have control over their images and how they
are displayed/stored/presented. Others like me who sell prints for a
living, have no control over how their clients handle the prints. It's
when you get about 200 people come back and ask for "real" photos it
starts to dawn on you their might just be a problem.

The illford paper is no better/different from any other using ceramic
dust for fast drying. Give it time and the image will disapear. Just
because I tell the truth is no reason to judge me with the idiot to whom
I posted a $500 US reward for his identity. You know so much... Tell us
who he is.

Doug