Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > need interface to show pictures in notebook on TV

need interface to show pictures in notebook on TV

Fred

Hi,

When I have several people who want to see my digital pictures on my
notebook, it gets a little crowded.

I have a unit which I have to download pics to the unit in a different
format and has a file size limit. (modified ZIP drive)

I want something which I can plug into the USB port (or ext monitor jack) on
the notebook and the TV audio / video jacks to show what appears on the note
book screen.

Any ideas / recommendations?

Thanks,

Fred
(to send email, get the lead out)

Robert Klemme

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:nIsid.12$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> When I have several people who want to see my digital pictures on my
> notebook, it gets a little crowded.
>
> I have a unit which I have to download pics to the unit in a different
> format and has a file size limit. (modified ZIP drive)
>
> I want something which I can plug into the USB port (or ext monitor

jack) on
> the notebook and the TV audio / video jacks to show what appears on the

note
> book screen.
>
> Any ideas / recommendations?

Hmmm... If your notebook has a composite video output you can get an
adapter cable with composite in and SCART out. I've done that myself (not
on a notebook though).

If you don't have this output, you might be able to get an adapter (cable)
but I'm not sure here.

Alternatively you could go for something like this (sorry for the German
page):
http://www3.alternate.de/html/shop/p...artno=MR%23D06

Kind regards

robert

BillyB

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nIsid.12$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I want something which I can plug into the USB port (or ext monitor jack)
> on the notebook and the TV audio / video jacks to show what appears on the
> note book screen.

I think Pinnicle do some USB gadgets. http://www.pinnaclesys.com/
The name Dazzle comes to mind but could not find a site after a very quick
search.

Laptops often have stuff built in. I think it will be a (yellow ?) phono
socket, like the red/white or red/black sockets on the back of a stereo.
Laptops often toggle displays using one of their funcion buttons. (like a
the shift or control buttons). If it looks like you have these toys then
best to set up the system as you often end up stuck with no picture. Another
useful tip is often there is a test mode. When the screen goes blank you
often forget this. If you get stuck with a blank screen then wait at least
15 seconds, do not press/click randomly and count slowly.

If you need a scart connection, as used by most modern european TVs. I
noticed a lead in Asda (UK) for a few quid. You will need the one that
includes the (yellow?) video. (some are just sound, Red and Black.). If your
laptop only has a single phono for the video, ignore the sound phonos on the
lead, you do not need these. Often external USB devices will have the sound
too. May as well plug them in. (Match the colours!) Sometimes the black and
white connections are interchangeable. (Not sure if there is a tecnical
difference).
If you want the sound then you probably need a phono to mini Jack lead and a
pair of phono sex changers. There are available singley or in pairs.

Off the wall suggestion.
Also in Asda (UK) was a small DVD player for about 30. It was not
"portable" as it needed mains but it was small enough to carry around. This
bosted "PictureCD" compatabiliy. To be honest, for the price, you could by
this and burn a CD with images on. If you laptop burns CDs then great, you
can make them there and then too. There are advantages and disadvantages to
this. The DVD player is a bit more acceptable to set up in peoples houses.
It is always a bit of a pain and a bit nurdy to set up a lap top and fiddle
with it. You end up with two screens. You have to set it up near the telly
and then sit near it to operate it. The DVD player has a remote control
which is more relaxing and easy to use. Non techies can play with it without
busting it. Disadvantages include having to burn a CD. This is not always
convenient. Also the handling of portrait images is a bit dificult. Before
making the CD you have to set them up to the correct oriantation.

I did a slight variation on this. I brought my parents a DVD player that did
JPEG a Philips 625 I think. Yes this was from asda too! I poped in a DVD
with JPEGs on. This appeared to work too. I can now go round and send them
to sleep with my pic collection any time I like!

Please visit my website at http://ww.places2visit.co.uk/ I have pics on
there that include point and shoot from a FinePix A120. I also use an S5000
which is more an "SLR" type digital camera. (not true SLR)

Pictures on this page were from a FinePix A120
http://www.places2visit.co.uk/WTT/a/232d233c54.html

I have lots of A120 pics that are real goodens. I will have to make up a
collection. The Sycro Flash make a great action picy. Also it is fixed
focus, OK Its a digital pin hole camera , so the large depth of feild
and wide angle produces quite different looking pics to those that normally
come off the S5000. Also I take the A120 where I would not bother to lug the
S5000.

Ta BB