Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DSC-V1 Screen cracked - Sony are a ripoff . . ?

DSC-V1 Screen cracked - Sony are a ripoff . . ?

Sky High

Hi,
I've got a DSC-V1 Sony digital camera and I accidentally cracked the LCD
screen on it.
The camera still works fine, and I rang Sony for a rough idea on repairing
it.

I discovered from a parts seller that the LCD screen costs 69.

When I rang Sony last week, they said they do a "fixed price repair" for
114.
This week when I rang to book the camera in, they said "They'll do a fixed
price repair if they can, otherwise it will cost more" ?

In that case, it isn't a fixed price repair, and she admitted it normally
costs a lot more!
A new DSC-V1 camera costs roughly 270.

What sort of Customer Service does the faceless Sony offer if they rip
people off for repair costs ?
Sure, perhaps I should have got accidental damage cover. Perhaps I should
have also bought another Fujifilm camera with the good customer service that
goes with it.

It's a long shot, but does anyone know how difficult is it to change the
screen on a DSC-V1 ?

What are your experiences \ what would you do ?

Many thanks,
Paul

Not in my trousers

"Sky High" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4189fb4d$0$29190$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I've got a DSC-V1 Sony digital camera and I accidentally cracked the LCD
> screen on it.
> The camera still works fine, and I rang Sony for a rough idea on repairing
> it.
>
> I discovered from a parts seller that the LCD screen costs 69.
>
> When I rang Sony last week, they said they do a "fixed price repair" for
> 114.
> This week when I rang to book the camera in, they said "They'll do a fixed
> price repair if they can, otherwise it will cost more" ?
>
> In that case, it isn't a fixed price repair, and she admitted it normally
> costs a lot more!
> A new DSC-V1 camera costs roughly 270.
>
> What sort of Customer Service does the faceless Sony offer if they rip
> people off for repair costs ?
> Sure, perhaps I should have got accidental damage cover. Perhaps I should
> have also bought another Fujifilm camera with the good customer service

that
> goes with it.
>
> It's a long shot, but does anyone know how difficult is it to change the
> screen on a DSC-V1 ?
>
> What are your experiences \ what would you do ?
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

I would be more careful...

Darrell Larose

Let understand this. You broke the screen. The Repair shop wants 45 labour
and 69 in parts? Sounds resonable to me. Or is their a law in England that
says you can't charge for your time, So buy the part and fix the bloddy
thing your self, then expect to pay even more for a shop to undo your fix...

"Sky High" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4189fb4d$0$29190$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I've got a DSC-V1 Sony digital camera and I accidentally cracked the LCD
> screen on it.
> The camera still works fine, and I rang Sony for a rough idea on repairing
> it.
>
> I discovered from a parts seller that the LCD screen costs 69.
>
> When I rang Sony last week, they said they do a "fixed price repair" for
> 114.
> This week when I rang to book the camera in, they said "They'll do a fixed
> price repair if they can, otherwise it will cost more" ?
>
> In that case, it isn't a fixed price repair, and she admitted it normally
> costs a lot more!
> A new DSC-V1 camera costs roughly 270.
>
> What sort of Customer Service does the faceless Sony offer if they rip
> people off for repair costs ?
> Sure, perhaps I should have got accidental damage cover. Perhaps I should
> have also bought another Fujifilm camera with the good customer service

that
> goes with it.
>
> It's a long shot, but does anyone know how difficult is it to change the
> screen on a DSC-V1 ?
>
> What are your experiences \ what would you do ?
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

---

kate

> > Hi,
> > I've got a DSC-V1 Sony digital camera and I accidentally cracked the LCD
> > screen on it.
> > The camera still works fine, and I rang Sony for a rough idea on

repairing
> > it.
> >
> > I discovered from a parts seller that the LCD screen costs 69.
> >
> > When I rang Sony last week, they said they do a "fixed price repair" for
> > 114.
> > This week when I rang to book the camera in, they said "They'll do a

fixed
> > price repair if they can, otherwise it will cost more" ?
> >
> > In that case, it isn't a fixed price repair, and she admitted it

normally
> > costs a lot more!
> > A new DSC-V1 camera costs roughly 270.
> >
> > What sort of Customer Service does the faceless Sony offer if they rip
> > people off for repair costs ?
> > Sure, perhaps I should have got accidental damage cover. Perhaps I

should
> > have also bought another Fujifilm camera with the good customer service

> that
> > goes with it.
> >
> > It's a long shot, but does anyone know how difficult is it to change the
> > screen on a DSC-V1 ?
> >
> > What are your experiences \ what would you do ?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Paul

If the repair is about ( or over ) half the prize of a new one, I would go
without the LCD screen.. ( or sell this one and buy a new Fuji one.. )
It's not under warranty anymore ?
Also, keep in mind you have to pay for shipping both ways..
I once send a F7 something ( 1 MP, ancient ) to sony for repair, repair
was almost twice the price of a new one, and oh, we forgot to mention that
if you want it back you have to pay $25 for the shipping ( about double the
real costs back then.. ).
Wish I had taken out the battery before shipping the thing off..

Sky High

"kate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:418a2ef3$0$36861$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> If the repair is about ( or over ) half the prize of a new one, I would go
> without the LCD screen.. ( or sell this one and buy a new Fuji one.. )
> It's not under warranty anymore ?
> Also, keep in mind you have to pay for shipping both ways..
> I once send a F7 something ( 1 MP, ancient ) to sony for repair, repair
> was almost twice the price of a new one, and oh, we forgot to mention that
> if you want it back you have to pay $25 for the shipping ( about double
> the
> real costs back then.. ).
> Wish I had taken out the battery before shipping the thing off..

Hi Kate,
I guess you're right Kate. It's a hard one to swallow, but it's the
open-ended pricing that a have a problem with.

I mean, I explained on the phone the model and the part it needed, and they
just say "aww - well it could be other things too and we can't price without
seeing it", even when I explained it works no problem!

Darrell posted above in the thread suggesting I should get the part myself
because I'm too tight to pay for the repair and then the subsequent
'unrepair'. I didn't mean that Darrell, and I don't mind paying, it's just
their customer service approach of the open-ended pricing that it very poor.

I mean, would you like to send a camera off, for them to then tell you it
will cost 160 to repair, but if you don't want to go ahead then they'll
charge you 60 to return it to you anyway ? That's crap service.

Paul

Mark M

"Sky High" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:418a4874$0$10510$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "kate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:418a2ef3$0$36861$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> > If the repair is about ( or over ) half the prize of a new one, I would

go
> > without the LCD screen.. ( or sell this one and buy a new Fuji one.. )
> > It's not under warranty anymore ?
> > Also, keep in mind you have to pay for shipping both ways..
> > I once send a F7 something ( 1 MP, ancient ) to sony for repair,

repair
> > was almost twice the price of a new one, and oh, we forgot to mention

that
> > if you want it back you have to pay $25 for the shipping ( about double
> > the
> > real costs back then.. ).
> > Wish I had taken out the battery before shipping the thing off..

> Hi Kate,
> I guess you're right Kate. It's a hard one to swallow, but it's the
> open-ended pricing that a have a problem with.
>
> I mean, I explained on the phone the model and the part it needed, and

they
> just say "aww - well it could be other things too and we can't price

without
> seeing it", even when I explained it works no problem!
>
> Darrell posted above in the thread suggesting I should get the part myself
> because I'm too tight to pay for the repair and then the subsequent
> 'unrepair'. I didn't mean that Darrell, and I don't mind paying, it's just
> their customer service approach of the open-ended pricing that it very

poor.

> I mean, would you like to send a camera off, for them to then tell you it
> will cost 160 to repair, but if you don't want to go ahead then they'll
> charge you 60 to return it to you anyway ? That's crap service.

Surely you must understand that it would be foolish for any repair service
to give you a quote before they have examined the device...
-Fact is, there very well could be other damage internally related to
playback (in addition to obvious external damage) which is not evident to
you. While this may not be likely, it is certainly possible--which means it
is reasonable for them to wait.

Repairs are expensive for companies because rather than just running down an
assembly line (like when building the device when new), the device requires
time, thought, and specific (non-assembly-line-type) work. They would
likely actually save themselves time and money by simply giving you a new
one, but they can't for obvious reasons. This is why it is often better for
consumers to simply replace the thing. Frustrating, but it's just reality.
If you ever go into manufacturing, you'll understand that you can't play
Santa Claus every time someone breaks your product.

Larry

In article <ELuid.208823$a85.113455@fed1read04>, mjmorgan2
@goaway.cox.unless.no.crap.net says...
> Surely you must understand that it would be foolish for any repair service
> to give you a quote before they have examined the device...
> -Fact is, there very well could be other damage internally related to
> playback (in addition to obvious external damage) which is not evident to
> you. While this may not be likely, it is certainly possible--which means it
> is reasonable for them to wait.
>
> Repairs are expensive for companies because rather than just running down an
> assembly line (like when building the device when new), the device requires
> time, thought, and specific (non-assembly-line-type) work. They would
> likely actually save themselves time and money by simply giving you a new
> one, but they can't for obvious reasons. This is why it is often better for
> consumers to simply replace the thing. Frustrating, but it's just reality.
> If you ever go into manufacturing, you'll understand that you can't play
> Santa Claus every time someone breaks your product.

Digital camera repair is similar to TV repair on consumer
grade non home theater TVs.. By the time you pay for the
part and the labor, you could have bought a newer better
one.

Its been that way for a long time in the colonies.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Alan Meyer

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Surely you must understand that it would be foolish for any repair service
> to give you a quote before they have examined the device...
> -Fact is, there very well could be other damage internally related to
> playback (in addition to obvious external damage) which is not evident to
> you. While this may not be likely, it is certainly possible--which means

it
> is reasonable for them to wait.
>
> Repairs are expensive for companies because rather than just running down

an
> assembly line (like when building the device when new), the device

requires
> time, thought, and specific (non-assembly-line-type) work. They would
> likely actually save themselves time and money by simply giving you a new
> one, but they can't for obvious reasons. This is why it is often better

for
> consumers to simply replace the thing. Frustrating, but it's just

reality.
> If you ever go into manufacturing, you'll understand that you can't play
> Santa Claus every time someone breaks your product.

Your points are well taken, and can't disagree with them.
I understand that if repairing cameras is your main business and you
need to make a profit from it, it is hard to offer fixed price repairs,
although I have seen it done, for example, with computer monitors.

However if I were a camera manufacturer I would seriously consider
offering fixed price repairs as a customer service. Sony is in a
special position for a lot of reasons.

First, they get the parts much, much cheaper than any repair shop can.
Ditto for service manuals, special tools, and factory training.

Second, they only repair Sony cameras, they don't need parts,
manuals, training, or expertise on any other brands.

Third, they can profit from repeat sales and new sales to
customers who like the idea that they can get fixed price
repairs. The increased good will and sales it engenders
might very well more than cover any losses.

Fourth, they don't need a single fixed price. It would
not be unreasonable, for example, to offer a fixed price
for electronics repairs and another fixed price for optics
repairs. A customer could probably tell the difference
95% of the time.

Finally, in impossible cases (customer sends in a camera
that has been run over and mashed by a truck), they could
return the junk to the customer and charge nothing.

But then I don't own a camera company and never will
(sigh). I'll never be president of a multinational corporation
(again, sigh). So my business advice may be suspect.

Alan

Cynthia P

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:43:49 -0800, "Mark M"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Sky High" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:418a4874$0$10510$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "kate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:418a2ef3$0$36861$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
>> > If the repair is about ( or over ) half the prize of a new one, I would

>go
>> > without the LCD screen.. ( or sell this one and buy a new Fuji one.. )
>> > It's not under warranty anymore ?
>> > Also, keep in mind you have to pay for shipping both ways..
>> > I once send a F7 something ( 1 MP, ancient ) to sony for repair,

>repair
>> > was almost twice the price of a new one, and oh, we forgot to mention

>that
>> > if you want it back you have to pay $25 for the shipping ( about double
>> > the
>> > real costs back then.. ).
>> > Wish I had taken out the battery before shipping the thing off..

>> Hi Kate,
>> I guess you're right Kate. It's a hard one to swallow, but it's the
>> open-ended pricing that a have a problem with.
>>
>> I mean, I explained on the phone the model and the part it needed, and

>they
>> just say "aww - well it could be other things too and we can't price

>without
>> seeing it", even when I explained it works no problem!
>>
>> Darrell posted above in the thread suggesting I should get the part myself
>> because I'm too tight to pay for the repair and then the subsequent
>> 'unrepair'. I didn't mean that Darrell, and I don't mind paying, it's just
>> their customer service approach of the open-ended pricing that it very

>poor.
>>
>> I mean, would you like to send a camera off, for them to then tell you it
>> will cost 160 to repair, but if you don't want to go ahead then they'll
>> charge you 60 to return it to you anyway ? That's crap service.

>Surely you must understand that it would be foolish for any repair service
>to give you a quote before they have examined the device...
>-Fact is, there very well could be other damage internally related to
>playback (in addition to obvious external damage) which is not evident to
>you. While this may not be likely, it is certainly possible--which means it
>is reasonable for them to wait.
>
>Repairs are expensive for companies because rather than just running down an
>assembly line (like when building the device when new), the device requires
>time, thought, and specific (non-assembly-line-type) work. They would
>likely actually save themselves time and money by simply giving you a new
>one, but they can't for obvious reasons. This is why it is often better for
>consumers to simply replace the thing. Frustrating, but it's just reality.
>If you ever go into manufacturing, you'll understand that you can't play
>Santa Claus every time someone breaks your product.

I used to do a lot of repair on high end preamplifiers. Now, my boss
did the diagnostics... but I did the de-soldering, cleanup and
replacement of parts. I can absolutely say that what my boss charged
for repairs was more than reasonable... the time it took was usually
more than what customers were charged for.

I always thought he should charge twice what he did. Even though our
products were built to be relatively easy to repair.

And we got everything from pre-amps that had been submerged in water
to ones that cats had peed in to ones that mice had died in. Not to
mention lightning-fried and just old age.

Cynthia

Paul J Gans

Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <ELuid.208823$a85.113455@fed1read04>, mjmorgan2
>@goaway.cox.unless.no.crap.net says...
>> Surely you must understand that it would be foolish for any repair service
>> to give you a quote before they have examined the device...
>> -Fact is, there very well could be other damage internally related to
>> playback (in addition to obvious external damage) which is not evident to
>> you. While this may not be likely, it is certainly possible--which means it
>> is reasonable for them to wait.
>>
>> Repairs are expensive for companies because rather than just running down an
>> assembly line (like when building the device when new), the device requires
>> time, thought, and specific (non-assembly-line-type) work. They would
>> likely actually save themselves time and money by simply giving you a new
>> one, but they can't for obvious reasons. This is why it is often better for
>> consumers to simply replace the thing. Frustrating, but it's just reality.
>> If you ever go into manufacturing, you'll understand that you can't play
>> Santa Claus every time someone breaks your product.
>>

>Digital camera repair is similar to TV repair on consumer
>grade non home theater TVs.. By the time you pay for the
>part and the labor, you could have bought a newer better
>one.

>Its been that way for a long time in the colonies.

Nah. It really is that way. Individual unscripted labor
is *very* expensive. Scripted labor (aka the production line)
is relatively cheap as the product arrives at the worker's
station all set for his part to be added. Not so with a
repair.

This is sad but true. But it also has meant that we get
ridiculously cheap products. Anyone want to guess what
my desktop machine would have cost in 1970? Or how much
it would have weighed?

---- Paul J. Gans