Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What can harm flash memory?

What can harm flash memory?

Fred B.

We all no xrays in airports and security checkpoints can ruin photographic
film.

But what can damage flash memory cards? I mean, not the obvious leaving in
direct florida sunlight for two days, etc. I mean common situations...like
even the same xray machines?

Scanners of non xray type?

I have SD cards for my PocketPC, I don't care about those. But my
Compactflash cards for my cameras, I do care about.

Julian Tan

Possibly static electricity? Especially if you leave them in your
pockets unprotected...

Ken Tough

Fred B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But what can damage flash memory cards? I mean, not the obvious leaving in
>direct florida sunlight for two days, etc. I mean common situations...like
>even the same xray machines?
>
>Scanners of non xray type?

Semiconductors are affected by xrays (or higher energy rays like
gamma rays etc). The affect is cumulative in nature, and applies
to all the semiconductors in your electronics, not just the memory
chips in your memory cards. [Worry about the CPU and chips in your
camera and lenses more than your replaceable memory cards].
Scanners typically have x-rays of low enough energy that they make
negligible effect, but you wouldn't want to leave them in there
for weeks at a time. A recent article on x-ray exposure to ICs
recommended a zinc foil filter, which helps cut absorption in
silicon/oxides while still allowing detection of copper, lead etc.

--
Ken Tough

MarkH

"Fred B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:7Jfid.18904$(E-Mail Removed):

> We all no xrays in airports and security checkpoints can ruin
> photographic film.
>
> But what can damage flash memory cards? I mean, not the obvious
> leaving in direct florida sunlight for two days, etc. I mean common
> situations...like even the same xray machines?
>
> Scanners of non xray type?
>
> I have SD cards for my PocketPC, I don't care about those. But my
> Compactflash cards for my cameras, I do care about.

Apparently nailing a CF card to a tree can damage it.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
understand binary and those that don't"

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

"Fred B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<7Jfid.18904$(E-Mail Removed) >...
> We all no xrays in airports and security checkpoints can ruin photographic
> film.
>
> But what can damage flash memory cards? I mean, not the obvious leaving in
> direct florida sunlight for two days, etc. I mean common situations...like
> even the same xray machines?
>
> Scanners of non xray type?
>
> I have SD cards for my PocketPC, I don't care about those. But my
> Compactflash cards for my cameras, I do care about.

I accidently installed the batteries the wrong way in my Oly 3000Z. It
zapped the memory card. I was surprised- I assumed there would be
reverse voltage protection built into the camera. Learned the hard
way that this is not so.

MJ@MJ.com

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:08:00 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Fred B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:7Jfid.18904$(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> We all no xrays in airports and security checkpoints can ruin
>> photographic film.
>>
>> But what can damage flash memory cards? I mean, not the obvious
>> leaving in direct florida sunlight for two days, etc. I mean common
>> situations...like even the same xray machines?
>>
>> Scanners of non xray type?
>>
>> I have SD cards for my PocketPC, I don't care about those. But my
>> Compactflash cards for my cameras, I do care about.

>Apparently nailing a CF card to a tree can damage it.

And always make sure you change your cards in subdued light - never
in direct sunshine.

MJ

secheese

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:10:36 +0200, Ken Tough <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A recent article on x-ray exposure to ICs
>recommended a zinc foil filter, which helps cut absorption in
>silicon/oxides while still allowing detection of copper, lead etc.

Source? I'd be interested in reading this.

He whom God has touched will always be a being apart;
he is, whatever he may do, a stranger among men;
he is marked by a sign.
- Ernest Renan (1823-1892)

ZONED!

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:02:50 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>And always make sure you change your cards in subdued light - never
>in direct sunshine.
>
>MJ

I never heard of that. Why? Anything supportive on line?

Gadgets

Funnily enough, there is plenty of info on the first page of a Google
search...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...lash%22+damage

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

secheese

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 20:56:26 GMT, "Gadgets" <info@gadgetaus....com>
wrote:

>Funnily enough, there is plenty of info on the first page of a Google
>search...
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...lash%22+damage

I read nothing conclusive re. x-ray damage to solid state devices on
this google output. In fact, the little bit of additional research I
did do, indicates that x-rays will likely not harm electronic devices.
Geez... all modern x-ray machines use CCD detectors. "Funnily"
enough... they survive!