Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question and comments please re. macro lenses

Question and comments please re. macro lenses

John Bean

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:20:38 +0000, Graham Holden wrote:
> First: Any comments, good or bad about either of these lenses? From my
> intense net-scouring over the past few days, I've got the impression that
> some Sigma lenses should be avoided like the plague, and others are not at
> all bad... is the 50mm macro a "goody" or a "baddy"?

The Sigma 50mm macro is a very good lens indeed, by any standards.

> 1. Am I right in thinking these lenses can also be used not in macro mode,
> i.e. as a fixed-length normal or slightly telephoto lens (although both
> would be telephoto because of the 1.5 factor).

The Sigma, yes. I have no experience of th Nikkor.

> 2. Does the "1:1" focusing (at 22cm or 19cm for the two) mean that you can
> take a full-frame photo of a 16mm x 24mm rectangle (the D70s sensor size)?
> Would the fact that the Nikkor was designed for 35mm film affect anything
> (i.e. does the 1.5 sensor-size difference factor come into effect?).

Yes, 1:1 means just that. The size in the image plane is the same size as
the subject. Format of the imaging device is not relevant.

--
John Bean

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them (Isaac Asimov)

Graham Holden

I'm new to both the digital and SLR worlds, having just bought a D70 with
the kit lens (I was initially drawn towards the 8700, but saw enough
opinions along the lines of "if you're going to spend that amount of money,
you may as well go the dSLR route for longer-term flexibility).

It's probably a bit too soon to be looking at additional lenses, since I've
not had a chance to do much more than take a few test shots so far, BUT...
one of the features that initially drew me towards the 8700 was its macro
ability (IIRC, it could focus down to just over an inch).

At some point, I will be wanting to photograph coins, so I'll need to be
looking at a macro lens. I've seen several references to the Nikkor 60mm
f2.8 AF Micro D being suitable for coins/stamps; and a similar-looking, but
a cheaper alternative would seem to be the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro.

First: Any comments, good or bad about either of these lenses? From my
intense net-scouring over the past few days, I've got the impression that
some Sigma lenses should be avoided like the plague, and others are not at
all bad... is the 50mm macro a "goody" or a "baddy"?

Also, I'd like to ask a couple of technical questions (I think I "know" a
lot of the basics, but don't yet have much practical experience, and I'm
picking up more and more as I scour the net).

1. Am I right in thinking these lenses can also be used not in macro mode,
i.e. as a fixed-length normal or slightly telephoto lens (although both
would be telephoto because of the 1.5 factor).

2. Does the "1:1" focusing (at 22cm or 19cm for the two) mean that you can
take a full-frame photo of a 16mm x 24mm rectangle (the D70s sensor size)?
Would the fact that the Nikkor was designed for 35mm film affect anything
(i.e. does the 1.5 sensor-size difference factor come into effect?).

Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in the
past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was light: the
flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this be helped by the
variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be looking for external
lighting?

Thanks in advance for any input people can give.

Regards,

GT40

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in the
>past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was light: the
>flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this be helped by the
>variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be looking for external
>lighting?

Light coins from the side, and use a tripod. You may have to move
your lighting around not to get glare. Better to use natural light
than a flash if you only have on camera flash

David J Taylor

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:20:38 +0000, Graham Holden
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in
>> the past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was
>> light: the flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this
>> be helped by the variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be
>> looking for external lighting?

I haven't tried it, but how well to coins respond to be "photographed"
with a scanner?

Cheers,
David

Graham Holden

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:41:16 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:20:38 +0000, Graham Holden
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in
>>> the past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was
>>> light: the flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this
>>> be helped by the variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be
>>> looking for external lighting?

>I haven't tried it, but how well to coins respond to be "photographed"
>with a scanner?
>
>Cheers,
>David

I believe quite well... I'd forgotten that approach. The only minor
drawbacks are (a) it may not be as convenient (for me) for various, weird,
and probably avoidable logistic reasons, and (b) it would remove an excuse
to get a new toy to play with...

Thanks to all who have replied.

Regards,

Big Bill

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:20:38 +0000, Graham Holden
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in
>>> the past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was
>>> light: the flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this
>>> be helped by the variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be
>>> looking for external lighting?

>I haven't tried it, but how well to coins respond to be "photographed"
>with a scanner?
>
>Cheers,
>David

From an Epson Perfection 1650 @ 600dpi:
www.pippina.us/misc/coin1.png

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Aerticus

perhaps it would be easier settling for an FZ20?

No more headaches about options, options, options ...

Aerticus

"Graham Holden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm new to both the digital and SLR worlds, having just bought a D70 with
> the kit lens (I was initially drawn towards the 8700, but saw enough
> opinions along the lines of "if you're going to spend that amount of
> money,
> you may as well go the dSLR route for longer-term flexibility).
>
> It's probably a bit too soon to be looking at additional lenses, since
> I've
> not had a chance to do much more than take a few test shots so far, BUT...
> one of the features that initially drew me towards the 8700 was its macro
> ability (IIRC, it could focus down to just over an inch).
>
> At some point, I will be wanting to photograph coins, so I'll need to be
> looking at a macro lens. I've seen several references to the Nikkor 60mm
> f2.8 AF Micro D being suitable for coins/stamps; and a similar-looking,
> but
> a cheaper alternative would seem to be the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro.
>
> First: Any comments, good or bad about either of these lenses? From my
> intense net-scouring over the past few days, I've got the impression that
> some Sigma lenses should be avoided like the plague, and others are not at
> all bad... is the 50mm macro a "goody" or a "baddy"?
>
> Also, I'd like to ask a couple of technical questions (I think I "know" a
> lot of the basics, but don't yet have much practical experience, and I'm
> picking up more and more as I scour the net).
>
> 1. Am I right in thinking these lenses can also be used not in macro
> mode,
> i.e. as a fixed-length normal or slightly telephoto lens (although both
> would be telephoto because of the 1.5 factor).
>
> 2. Does the "1:1" focusing (at 22cm or 19cm for the two) mean that you
> can
> take a full-frame photo of a 16mm x 24mm rectangle (the D70s sensor size)?
> Would the fact that the Nikkor was designed for 35mm film affect anything
> (i.e. does the 1.5 sensor-size difference factor come into effect?).
>
> Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in the
> past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was light: the
> flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this be helped by the
> variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be looking for external
> lighting?
>
> Thanks in advance for any input people can give.
>
> Regards,
> Graham Holden (g-holden AT dircon DOT co DOT uk)
> --
> There are 10 types of people in the world;
> those that understand binary and those that don't.

George E. Cawthon

I've tried it and they photograph very well with a scanner, probably
superior to what most camera photos provide.

David J Taylor wrote:

> > On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:20:38 +0000, Graham Holden
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >> Finally, any tips on photographing coins? From brief experiments in
> >> the past with a (now) cheap-and-nasty digital, the main problem was
> >> light: the flash produced too much glare and reflection. Would this
> >> be helped by the variable power of the D70's flash, or should I be
> >> looking for external lighting?

> I haven't tried it, but how well to coins respond to be "photographed"
> with a scanner?
>
> Cheers,
> David

Wilt W

<<At some point, I will be wanting to photograph coins...Nikkor 60mm
f2.8 AF Micro D ...Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro.

First: Any comments, good or bad about either of these lenses? ... is the 50mm
macro a "goody" or a "baddy"?

General comment about macro: a longer macro lets you more easily light objects
with a pair of light sources placed at 45 degrees on either side of the camera
without the camera itself casting a shadow on the object being photographed.
So 100mm macro would be better than 50mm macro according to that criteria.

--Wilton

David J Taylor

George E. Cawthon wrote:
> I've tried it and they photograph very well with a scanner, probably
> superior to what most camera photos provide.

Oh, that's good - the focus and geometric distortion issues are reduced
anyway. Thanks, as well, to the person who posted the sample scan. I
guess you have to be careful to avoid scratches on the glass, though!

Cheers,
David