Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Hesitating between C8080 and D70

Re: Hesitating between C8080 and D70

Linda_N

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <HWuhd.26$(E-Mail Removed)>, this-is-not-my@email-
> address.com says...
>
>> I agree that the size of the sensor is the problem. Without looking
>> 'again'
>> I do believe the Nikon 8800 has a new, 'larger' 8 megapixel sensor. Don't
>> put that in stone though as it has been a while since I read the specs
>> for
>> changes made to the 8800.

> The Nikon 8800 has a 2/3" (8.8 x 6.6mm) CCD - same size as the CCDs used
> in the current crop of 8MP cameras. Only recently Sharp introduced a
> 1/1.8" 8MP CCD (to my knowledge there are no cameras on the market using
> that sensor yet).

Ah okay, thanks. It is a new 8MP chip though (not the same as was used in
the flop Nikon 8700 8MP). I don't know what they changed but whatever it is
is 'supposed' to have fixed problems the 8700 had.

> By the way, with the 8080 noise is not an issue if you shoot at ISO 50,
> meaning that it is low enough not to disturb. At higher ISOs the 8080
> applies keeps noise in check, by progressively applying more noise
> reduction, at the expense of reducing the available resolution (you
> can't have everything in life).
> --

I'm pretty sure that most P&S and ZLRs don't have problems with noise at
their lowest ISO setting. The thing to look for is a P&S that can go to at
least 200 ISO without a lot of degradation to the image quality. Some of the
Canon models are good, like the PowerShot S## series. I've not seen too many
P&Ss that can handle 400 ISO well.

Linda

Alfred Molon

In article <bU4id.15$(E-Mail Removed)>, this-is-not-my@email-
address.com says...

> > The Nikon 8800 has a 2/3" (8.8 x 6.6mm) CCD - same size as the CCDs used
> > in the current crop of 8MP cameras. Only recently Sharp introduced a
> > 1/1.8" 8MP CCD (to my knowledge there are no cameras on the market using
> > that sensor yet).
> >

> Ah okay, thanks. It is a new 8MP chip though (not the same as was used in
> the flop Nikon 8700 8MP).

Just curious - where did you read this ?

> I'm pretty sure that most P&S and ZLRs don't have problems with noise at
> their lowest ISO setting. The thing to look for is a P&S that can go to at
> least 200 ISO without a lot of degradation to the image quality. Some of the
> Canon models are good, like the PowerShot S## series. I've not seen too many
> P&Ss that can handle 400 ISO well.

There aren't. Those which seem to handle it better apply a lot of noise
reduction which destroys the detail. If you need to shoot at ISO 400,
you should get a DSLR.
--

Alfred Molon

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> There aren't. Those which seem to handle it better apply a lot of noise
> reduction which destroys the detail. If you need to shoot at ISO 400,
> you should get a DSLR.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon
> ------------------------------

As the owner of several large and rather expensive (for
what they are) P&S Digitals I agree with Alfred whole-
heartedly.

Ive yet to use a p&s that can do a good job at ISO 400, and
most are too noisy at ISO 200.

Although I dont like taking an SLR to the places I go,
experience has taught me a lesson.

I'll have a Canon or a Nikon DSLR by spring.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Linda_N

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <bU4id.15$(E-Mail Removed)>, this-is-not-my@email-
> address.com says...
>
>> > The Nikon 8800 has a 2/3" (8.8 x 6.6mm) CCD - same size as the CCDs
>> > used
>> > in the current crop of 8MP cameras. Only recently Sharp introduced a
>> > 1/1.8" 8MP CCD (to my knowledge there are no cameras on the market
>> > using
>> > that sensor yet).
>> >

>> Ah okay, thanks. It is a new 8MP chip though (not the same as was used in
>> the flop Nikon 8700 8MP).

> Just curious - where did you read this ?

Most likely at Nikon. You will probably find the information about the
changes to the sensor at http://www.dpreview.com as well if he did a preview
of the new 8800.

Linda