Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cataloguing images

Cataloguing images

dperez@juno_nospam.com

My OTHER ugly topic...

My other topic was about PHYSICALLY storing images...

This one is about what to use to catalog the images so they can be found and
easily pulled into the editor or whatever's needed...

Again, as part of the discussions at RMSP we talked of cataloguing but again
weren't able to come to a perfect conclusion. I've downloaded and played with
the following:
Extensis Portfolio 7 - seems capable but is ridiculously expensive
Digital Pro 3 - If I recall correctly this didn't support Fuji Raw
PhotoAlbum V1 - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
PhotoAlbum V2 - the free one - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
ACDSee - I don't even remember WHAT major thing this didn't do but I know I
tried it and unloaded it from the machine...
iMatch - not bad, not hugely expensive but it doesn't appear to support 16-bit
Photoshop files - the thumbnails don't show as pictures.
PhotoLibrary - SLOW, REALLY SLOW... Unusable slow.
Cumulus - One of the instructors is using this and says its adequate.
Photoshop CS - has the advantage of already being IN Photoshop but can only next
keywords 2 levels. Doesn't have an understanding of devices so it doesn't know
what's on a CD for example.

Currently I'm still messing with iMatch but when I put up thumbnails there's no
image for 16-bit PSD files... Also, its nice to be ab le to find things by
keyword and such, but once you've FOUND 'em there doesn't seem to be an
automatic way to get 'em into Photoshop for editing... Which reduces the
effectiveness significantly...

So, at present I'm trying to come up with a simple enough keyword scheme that I
can just use what Photoshop offers... Like, instead of having keywords like
bird, waterfowl, swan, tundra as a nest, and another for bird, waterfowl, swan,
trumpeter, just have something like bird, swan and put everybody in there. Or
perhaps use swan, tundra and swan, trumpeter and set up a DIFFERENT keyword of
bird... At least this way I'm IN Photoshop so there's no problem getting them
into Photoshop but one of the big failures is that this scheme doesn't seem to
know how to manage devices such as CDs... It ONLY appears to look at whatever
disk/directory you're in... So what happens when I've got 3 or 4 disks with
images? Or 100 CDs?

Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into their
favorite editor?

Aerticus

Sh - don't let anyone else know

Let's keep it out secret.

Go into PS and resize/resample your images from CD. Lets call it CD#name
for long with images im#n for short

The trick is to create a parallel folder called CD#name with resized and
resampled images called im#n (medium)

Do the above after entering Keywords in PS before burning the CD so that
EXIF & IPTC is transferred to the medium cloned image

The rest?

Well, you seem an intelligent person - I bet you can figure it out on your
own

PS FB may be a bit clunky but it really is rather brilliant even if it is
cumbersome

Aerticus

<dperez@juno_nospam.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> bird, waterfowl, swan, tundra as a nest, and another for bird, waterfowl,
> swan,
> trumpeter, just have something like bird, swan and put everybody in there.
> Or
> perhaps use swan, tundra and swan, trumpeter and set up a DIFFERENT
> keyword of
> bird... At least this way I'm IN Photoshop so there's no problem getting
> them
> into Photoshop but one of the big failures is that this scheme doesn't
> seem to
> know how to manage devices such as CDs... It ONLY appears to look at
> whatever
> disk/directory you're in... So what happens when I've got 3 or 4 disks
> with
> images? Or 100 CDs?
>
> Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into

Drifter

---->snip<---
>Currently I'm still messing with iMatch but when I put up thumbnails there's no
>image for 16-bit PSD files... Also, its nice to be ab le to find things by
>keyword and such, but once you've FOUND 'em there doesn't seem to be an
>automatic way to get 'em into Photoshop for editing... Which reduces the
>effectiveness significantly...

Right click on a thumbnail
Choose Shell
Select "Choose Application" and pick Photoshop CS
Now you can open the image in Photoshop by either Right click and
select "Open" or by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+O

---snip---
>Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into their
>favorite editor?

As you might guess, I use iMatch and Photoshop CS.
I use the "categories" some, but mostly I have the properties set up
and use them.

My properties (under the property editor) are...

Title -Usually the title of the folder the files are stored under
Project-The name of the project/client (if there is one)
Description-Brief description of what is in the photo (Sleeping dog)
Location- where the photo was taken (Pointe Park, Washington, DC)
Photographer-Who took the picture
Camera-
Lens-
Quality- (1-5 rating of the technical quality of the photo)
Asthetic-(1-5 subjective rating of how much I like the photo)
Critique-comments on what would improve the photo

For some of these properties (Quality, Aesthetic, Camera, etc) I have
created drop down lists so I don't have to keep re-typing stuff.

I really only use the Categories for "broad" stuff like "Animals,
Plants, People, Buildings, machines, Indoors, Outdoors, and the like.

If you want to chat more about this I'm at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Alan Meyer

<dperez@juno_nospam.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My OTHER ugly topic...
> Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into

their
> favorite editor?

My "system" is just to keep text files describing the images.
It's not much of a system.

My biggest fear about buying a program is that I'll create
a big catalog, putting in a lot of time, and 10 or 20 years
from now it will be useless - in a format that no other
software can read, and with software that only runs on
a computer (Wintel) that was obsolete years before.

If I ever go to anything more sophisticated than what I've
got, I'd want it to use plain text, possibly in XML structures,
that can be edited by any XML or text editor on any
computer, now or in the future.

Alan

Cynthia P

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:32:32 -0600, dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:

>My OTHER ugly topic...
>
>My other topic was about PHYSICALLY storing images...
>
>This one is about what to use to catalog the images so they can be found and
>easily pulled into the editor or whatever's needed...
>
>Again, as part of the discussions at RMSP we talked of cataloguing but again
>weren't able to come to a perfect conclusion. I've downloaded and played with
>the following:
>Extensis Portfolio 7 - seems capable but is ridiculously expensive
>Digital Pro 3 - If I recall correctly this didn't support Fuji Raw
>PhotoAlbum V1 - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
>PhotoAlbum V2 - the free one - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
>ACDSee - I don't even remember WHAT major thing this didn't do but I know I
>tried it and unloaded it from the machine...
>iMatch - not bad, not hugely expensive but it doesn't appear to support 16-bit
>Photoshop files - the thumbnails don't show as pictures.
>PhotoLibrary - SLOW, REALLY SLOW... Unusable slow.
>Cumulus - One of the instructors is using this and says its adequate.
>Photoshop CS - has the advantage of already being IN Photoshop but can only next
>keywords 2 levels. Doesn't have an understanding of devices so it doesn't know
>what's on a CD for example.
>
>Currently I'm still messing with iMatch but when I put up thumbnails there's no
>image for 16-bit PSD files... Also, its nice to be ab le to find things by
>keyword and such, but once you've FOUND 'em there doesn't seem to be an
>automatic way to get 'em into Photoshop for editing... Which reduces the
>effectiveness significantly...
>
>So, at present I'm trying to come up with a simple enough keyword scheme that I
>can just use what Photoshop offers... Like, instead of having keywords like
>bird, waterfowl, swan, tundra as a nest, and another for bird, waterfowl, swan,
>trumpeter, just have something like bird, swan and put everybody in there. Or
>perhaps use swan, tundra and swan, trumpeter and set up a DIFFERENT keyword of
>bird... At least this way I'm IN Photoshop so there's no problem getting them
>into Photoshop but one of the big failures is that this scheme doesn't seem to
>know how to manage devices such as CDs... It ONLY appears to look at whatever
>disk/directory you're in... So what happens when I've got 3 or 4 disks with
>images? Or 100 CDs?
>
>Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into their
>favorite editor?

Thumbs Plus Pro. As long as you have Windows set up to open .PSD files
in Photoshop, a simple select image > right click > Edit will pop you
right into Photoshop with the selected file.

Cynthia

Drifter

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:36:19 -0500, "Alan Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><dperez@juno_nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My OTHER ugly topic...
>> Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into

>their
>> favorite editor?

>My "system" is just to keep text files describing the images.
>It's not much of a system.
>
>My biggest fear about buying a program is that I'll create
>a big catalog, putting in a lot of time, and 10 or 20 years
>from now it will be useless - in a format that no other
>software can read, and with software that only runs on
>a computer (Wintel) that was obsolete years before.

---snip---
Yes, that was my greatest fear as well. The nice thing about iMatch
is that the data itself is very portable.
see here
http://www.photools.com/imatchfaq.ph...5cbbfe921b0#50

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

BJ

Digital Image Library 10 dopes a good job of catqalouging. It doesn't,
however, show sufficient Exif info for me and I'm not sure about "pulling
into an editor" other than DIP. I don't think the right-click menu is
customizable but drag and drop always works.

> [...]
> bird, waterfowl, swan, tundra as a nest, and another for bird, waterfowl,
> swan,
> trumpeter, just have something like bird, swan and put everybody in there.
> Or
> perhaps use swan, tundra and swan, trumpeter and set up a DIFFERENT
> keyword of
> bird... At least this way I'm IN Photoshop so there's no problem getting
> them
> into Photoshop but one of the big failures is that this scheme doesn't
> seem to
> know how to manage devices such as CDs... It ONLY appears to look at
> whatever
> disk/directory you're in... So what happens when I've got 3 or 4 disks
> with
> images? Or 100 CDs?
>
> Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into

Aerticus

Ah - a voice of experience

If I may speculate: there will be more solutions than we care for within the
next 18 months! Why?

Well the rate of ownership of digicams will in a year or 2 from ownership
create a demographic wave of computers overstuffed with digital images (8 MP
sensor anyone? Saved in RAW, TIFF and DNG? That's 3 times the hard disk
realty already - and then worked in PSD format [I am talking serious now]
probably outputted as JPEGs? see how a lack of standard goes? Hidden costs
are in media storage devices - buy a lot, a real lot just in case your RAW
changes next summer or just after Christmas)

Now where was I? Ah, better do this first </rant>

Yes, computers will fill, folks will burn CDs or DVDs, then - help? Where
has the image gone? Which disk?

At the mo I have a wonderful set up using PSCS file browser - the details
are elsewhere in this NG, I will not repeat them.

Aerticus

"Alan Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nCWhd.1796$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <dperez@juno_nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My OTHER ugly topic...
>> Anyhow, so what are other people using to catalog, find, and get into

> their
>> favorite editor?

> My "system" is just to keep text files describing the images.
> It's not much of a system.
>
> My biggest fear about buying a program is that I'll create
> a big catalog, putting in a lot of time, and 10 or 20 years
> from now it will be useless - in a format that no other
> software can read, and with software that only runs on
> a computer (Wintel) that was obsolete years before.
>
> If I ever go to anything more sophisticated than what I've
> got, I'd want it to use plain text, possibly in XML structures,
> that can be edited by any XML or text editor on any
> computer, now or in the future.
>
> Alan

David Dyer-Bennet

dperez@juno_nospam.com writes:

> My OTHER ugly topic...
>
> My other topic was about PHYSICALLY storing images...
>
> This one is about what to use to catalog the images so they can be found and
> easily pulled into the editor or whatever's needed...
>
> Again, as part of the discussions at RMSP we talked of cataloguing but again
> weren't able to come to a perfect conclusion. I've downloaded and played with
> the following:
> Extensis Portfolio 7 - seems capable but is ridiculously expensive
> Digital Pro 3 - If I recall correctly this didn't support Fuji Raw
> PhotoAlbum V1 - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
> PhotoAlbum V2 - the free one - doesn't appear to support Fuji Raw
> ACDSee - I don't even remember WHAT major thing this didn't do but I know I
> tried it and unloaded it from the machine...
> iMatch - not bad, not hugely expensive but it doesn't appear to support 16-bit
> Photoshop files - the thumbnails don't show as pictures.
> PhotoLibrary - SLOW, REALLY SLOW... Unusable slow.
> Cumulus - One of the instructors is using this and says its adequate.
> Photoshop CS - has the advantage of already being IN Photoshop but can only next
> keywords 2 levels. Doesn't have an understanding of devices so it doesn't know
> what's on a CD for example.

You've missed Thumbs Plus from <www.cerious.com>, which is what I
chose when faced with this issue. It's one of the leading programs
for the job. It will index off-line media (DVDs, or removable disks)
and keep the thumbnails and database entries (keywords, etc.) around.
And you can add many buttons to the toolbar to take the file quickly
and easily into various special programs, *and* set up "open" and
"edit" actions.

dperez@juno_nospam.com

Again, sorry to be so tardy, but now the ISP newsgroup servers are online agin!

Aerticus, I LOVE your idea... Simple, workable, and it keeps everything IN
PS... The guys running the training class I was in are very confident that
future versions of Photoshop will have HUGE enhancements to the file browser...

One thing I found odd when looking at products was that Adobe Photo Album was
compared to Cumulus as a replacement, and unless they've done something
SIGNIFICANT in the "real" version Photo Album doesn't even manage raw files...