Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Macro Lens for my 300D

Macro Lens for my 300D

AK

I am currently looking at the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 105mm. Does anybody
have any experience with these lenses? Is the Canon so much better that it
justifies the price difference? Are there any other good macro lenses out
there I should be considering.

Thanks for your help.

Angela

Rob Davison

AK wrote:
> I am currently looking at the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 105mm. Does anybody
> have any experience with these lenses? Is the Canon so much better that it
> justifies the price difference? Are there any other good macro lenses out
> there I should be considering.

Tamron 90. It is (unexpectedly) my favourite lens and I find myself
using it for all sorts of things you'd not normally use a macro for
(like wildlife).

Google for reviews. They're all pretty favourable.

http://www.pbase.com/image/35844841/original
http://www.pbase.com/image/33767986/original
http://www.pbase.com/image/31615722/original

Auto focus is a bit slow (slower than the Canon apparently).

HTH.

Rob.

JPS@no.komm

In message <93Jhd.2303$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rob Davison <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Auto focus is a bit slow (slower than the Canon apparently).

If you only allow limited focus range, though, it gets a lot better than
if left on "full".
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Charles Schuler

"AK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm7k7h$4so$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>I am currently looking at the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 105mm. Does
>anybody
> have any experience with these lenses?

I have the Sigma and am starting to get a lot of "Err 99" with it. Up until
that started, I was happy with it.

Lou

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:31:55 -0000, "AK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am currently looking at the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 105mm. Does anybody
>have any experience with these lenses? Is the Canon so much better that it
>justifies the price difference? Are there any other good macro lenses out
>there I should be considering.

Check out the Tamron 180mm macro. Greater working distances, comes in
very handy, and it's a very nice lens.

See http://www.pbase.com/nylons/d60_shots for a few examples.

I'm using mine on a D60.

Lou

grenner

The Canon is far better optically than the Sigma. Then again an old pop
bottle is optically superior to most Sigman lenses. I chose the Tamron
90mm Macro. I used one for years on a film camera and just stuck with it
when it came out for digital. I am very pleased with the results

Greg