Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 vs Coolpix 8800

Nikon D70 vs Coolpix 8800

Patrick Markovic

After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

David J Taylor

Patrick Markovic wrote:
> After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade
> to a newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the
> specifications for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a
> side-by-side comparison between the two? The only feature of the
> Coolpix 8800 that causes me some concern is the turn-on and shutter
> lag, the D70 had basically eliminated this lag. Any comments or
> advice of users of either of these cameras?

I think you need to define what you want to achieve from your use of these
cameras (type of subject etc.) and be aware of the size and cost
differences for a comparable capability (image stabilised lenses for the
D70 are not cheap). One is a point and shoot with great built-in
capabilities, the other could be heart of a system but requires extra
purchases.

Cheers,
David

larrylook

"Patrick Markovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1dmfs69kljuak$.1ly1ebk4v4xx5$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
> newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the

specifications
> for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
> between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
> concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
> this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

You need to decide how much time you want to put into this hobby. The D70
has a considerable learning curve, but is a camera you can grow into and
eventually make great pics - if you put in the time. P&S have certain
advantages for those who don't want picture shooting to become too
intellectual or technical.

I decided on d70 over olympus 8080, and glad I did. I enjoy learning about
the d70 little by little. 8080 would perhaps have been adequate for many of
my uses, but not a camera you can grow as much with. Turn on time and
shutter lag are part of advantages, interchangable lens are another. Your
first pictures with d70 may not jump out at you and say "I was taken with a
great camera" though. DSLR - can't use the little screen to compose, must
use viewfinder.

Billy V

Patrick,

I was using the Nikon 995 for 2.5 years. I loved it. But alas the
camera has a few problems with focusing. I am hard on cameras. I do a
lot of hiking and rock climbing with them. I have a nasty little 6mm
long by .5 mmm wide crack in the body part (that houses the focusing
mechanism) with lots of dings around the crack.

Two weeks ago I just purchased the D70. I love it. It uses all the
great Nikon lenses that I have for my Nikon N90 film camera. Learning
curve is not that hard. But there is some work in setting up the
features the way you want them

My photos cover everything from Mountains, to portraits, to jewelry
and the D70 seems to be the be working out GREAT.

As for shutter lag... none. I was photographing some remote control
airplanes in the air this afternoon and the photos came out great!

Good luck in choosing a camera, but I have been buying Nikon products
for 37 years and I have never had a bum product, (Well I did, but
Nikon and the dealer replaced it immediately)

BillyV

>After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
>newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
>for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
>between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
>concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
>this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:45:27 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Patrick Markovic
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
>newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
>for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
>between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
>concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
>this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

I started with a CP-990 and all the converter lenses,then moved up to a
CP-5700 and all the converters. Just recently I moved up to a D70 with kit
lens and AF-S 70-200 VR f2.8.

This is really an apples and oranges comparison. Each gives you something
the other doesn't, but also gives up something in return. There is no free
lunch.

CP
Pros: Small size, cheaper price for focal length range, real time preview,
movies, excellent macro capability, available converters, built in
stabilization.
Cons: Slow turn-on and focus, small sensor has more noise especially at
higher ISO, slow update of EVF, EVF/LCD useless if you wear highly
polarized lenses, difficult to manually focus and zoom realtime, adapters
required to use filters, converters require adapters, higher power
consumption - battery usage higher

dSLR
Pros: Quick turn-on and focus, real-time zoom control, manual focus, higher
and more sustained burst rate, larger sensor has less noise especially at
higher ISO, optical viewfinder with DOF preview, larger lens selection,
standard filter and lens mounting, lower power consumption - batteries last
longer
Cons: Larger and more $$ for same focal length range, no preview or movies,
macro requires another lens, sensor contamination/cleaning
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Patrick Markovic

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:24:40 -0000, David J Taylor wrote:

> I think you need to define what you want to achieve from your use of these
> cameras (type of subject etc.) and be aware of the size and cost
> differences for a comparable capability (image stabilised lenses for the
> D70 are not cheap). One is a point and shoot with great built-in
> capabilities, the other could be heart of a system but requires extra
> purchases.
>
> Cheers,
> David

David --
Good point. Most of my picture taking is of family members and do
document our travels. I do a lot of scenery pictures and some macro
pictures of flowers, etc. Some of the grandchildren are into sports so try
to take action pictures of them participating.
The 8800 seems to have more of the features that I need, the shutter lag
does cause me some concern in trying to take action pictures. I've gotton
fairly good results with the 995 in depressing the shutter half way and
then fully when the action starts. Years ago I used a Pentax Spotomatic
SLR with an exrta 135mm lens and 3x converter. I have that camera
available for sale but doubt that it has much residual value, haven't used
it in some 5-10 years.

David J Taylor

Patrick Markovic wrote:
[]
> David --
> Good point. Most of my picture taking is of family members and do
> document our travels. I do a lot of scenery pictures and some macro
> pictures of flowers, etc. Some of the grandchildren are into sports
> so try to take action pictures of them participating.
> The 8800 seems to have more of the features that I need, the shutter
> lag does cause me some concern in trying to take action pictures.
> I've gotton fairly good results with the 995 in depressing the
> shutter half way and then fully when the action starts. Years ago I
> used a Pentax Spotomatic SLR with an exrta 135mm lens and 3x
> converter. I have that camera available for sale but doubt that it
> has much residual value, haven't used it in some 5-10 years.

If the 8800 has most of what you need, you might be able to save yourself
a little money by getting the Panasonic FZ20 instead. For general and
travel photography the lighter weight and more compact size of a
point-and-shoot system is very important to me. If you can compare these
cameras in a shop you may be able to get a feeling for their capabilities.

Most non-SLR cameras will have more delay in taking than the D70, but you
can sometimes allow for this by half-pressing the shutter release before
taking, or using preset focussing (as focussing often takes the most
time).

Perhaps if your Pentax is in good condition it may be bought by a museum
in 30 - 50 years time? <G>

Chrers,
David

Patrick Markovic

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:45:27 -0500, Patrick Markovic wrote:

> After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
> newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
> for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
> between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
> concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
> this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions on choosing a D70
versus CP8800. After considering your advice and talking to a local
dealer, think I'll get the D70. It looks like it will be a camera that
will serve me longer, enable me to stretch my ability but also my budget.
I'll keep the CP995 as a P&S for snapshots and use the D70 for serious
photography. Wish me luck.....

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: Nikon D70 vs Coolpix 8800
>From: Patrick Markovic http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 11/2/2004 7:05 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:45:27 -0500, Patrick Markovic wrote:
>
>> After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
>> newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
>> for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
>> between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
>> concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
>> this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

>Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions on choosing a D70
>versus CP8800. After considering your advice and talking to a local
>dealer, think I'll get the D70. It looks like it will be a camera that
>will serve me longer, enable me to stretch my ability but also my budget.
>I'll keep the CP995 as a P&S for snapshots and use the D70 for serious
>photography. Wish me luck.....

Sometimes P&S results in high art. Look at the work of Weegee, all P&S.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Charles Eaves

I have to agree with the other posts. I graduated from the Canon s50 to the
Nikon d70 and I am not looking back.
Yes, there is a learning curve but it is worth the effort.
I have had many compliments on my night shots of lansscapes and of my son
marching in the high school band on fridays.
Many of those shots have turned in 8x10's and are hanging on the wall.
I bought a 28-200 mm nikkor lens for those shots and haven't regretted it.
The d70 is a no brainer.
Excellent camera
The couple of times that I have called for support/ no problems.
I always reach for the d70 over the s50.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...