Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > any editing software with noise reduction?

any editing software with noise reduction?

peter

Is there any photo editing software with built-in noise reduction similar to
Neat Image?

David J Taylor

peter wrote:
> Is there any photo editing software with built-in noise reduction
> similar to Neat Image?

JASC's Paint Shop Pro 9 - you can get a free trial download. It works at
least as well as NeatImage, and some people think it's better - I might
agree.

http://www.jasc.com

<http://www.jasc.com/en/products/paintshoppro/psptrialreg.asp>

Cheers,
David

HRosita

>"peter wrote:

>Is there any photo editing software with built-in noise reduction similar to
>Neat Image?

The Elements 3.0 Noise filter has a Noise Reduction option. Here is how it is
described:
"Reduce Noise. Reduces luminous noise and color noise, such as the noise
introduced by photographing with insufficient light."
Rosita

Bill Hilton

>From: "David J Taylor" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>JASC's Paint Shop Pro 9 - you can get a free trial download. It works at
>least as well as NeatImage, and some people think it's better

Does it work on 16 bit files, like Neat Image? (Does PSP even recognize and
open 16 bit files yet?).

Does it still delete the ICC profiles for anything other than sRGB tags?

David J Taylor

Bill Hilton wrote:
[]
> Does it work on 16 bit files, like Neat Image? (Does PSP even
> recognize and open 16 bit files yet?).

Paint Shop Pro 9 will work with 12-bit etc. RAW camera files, but does not
support 16-bit editing. There was a justification for this from Kris
Zaklika on the JASC support forums recently which made interesting
reading. I don't believe the free version of Neat Image will save 16-bit
data either.

> Does it still delete the ICC profiles for anything other than sRGB
> tags?

You would need to ask this is one of the JASC support forums.

Cheers,
David

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:24:04 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>peter wrote:
>> Is there any photo editing software with built-in noise reduction
>> similar to Neat Image?

>JASC's Paint Shop Pro 9 - you can get a free trial download. It works at
>least as well as NeatImage, and some people think it's better - I might
>agree.

So far in my trials comparing the two I don't. Now I have much more
experience using NI.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ed Ruf

On 31 Oct 2004 16:56:59 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (E-Mail Removed)dy
(Bill Hilton) wrote:
>Does it work on 16 bit files, like Neat Image? (Does PSP even recognize and
>open 16 bit files yet?).

No. Which I found out this weekend is why the NikonView NEF plugin will not
work in PSP while reading Thom Hogan's D70 ebook. It supposedly renders to
16 bit . The NEF plugin included with PicureProject renders to 8bit.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:03:07 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Paint Shop Pro 9 will work with 12-bit etc. RAW camera files, but does not
>support 16-bit editing.

Only some. Mainly dSLRs. Not my CP-5700.

> There was a justification for this from Kris
>Zaklika on the JASC support forums recently which made interesting
>reading. I don't believe the free version of Neat Image will save 16-bit
>data either.

>> Does it still delete the ICC profiles for anything other than sRGB
>> tags?

>You would need to ask this is one of the JASC support forums.

I asked this specifically in the usenet psp group and never got an answer.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

David J Taylor

Ed Ruf wrote:
[]
> Only some. Mainly dSLRs. Not my CP-5700.

I would suggest sending a 5700 RAW file to JASC as they have stated their
intention to extend RAW file support.

>>> Does it still delete the ICC profiles for anything other than sRGB
>>> tags?

>> You would need to ask this is one of the JASC support forums.

> I asked this specifically in the usenet psp group and never got an
> answer.

I gave up on the usenet newsgroup - too much rubbish - the JASC forums are
far better and the actual developers can sometimes be found answering
users' questions.

Cheers,
David

Leith Cassone

Neatimage Pro has a Photoshop Plugin - so you can stay with the
software you like.