Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > It's that time of year again

It's that time of year again

Drifter

Friendly reminder to those of us affected by the time change.
Don't forget to set your clocks, gps units, VCR, television, camera,
etc. back an hour!

Cheers

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

David J Taylor

Drifter wrote:
> Friendly reminder to those of us affected by the time change.
> Don't forget to set your clocks, gps units, VCR, television, camera,
> etc. back an hour!
>
> Cheers
>
> Drifter

Why not do what I do, and leave your camera set to UTC. No need to change
then, no need to worry about time zone changes when travelling, no need to
worry if it was daylight saving time in the country you were visiting when
you were visitng.....

BTW: GPS should /not/ need adjusting, my VCR is automatic, my radio clocks
need no adjustment. Just the microwave, heating, watch and cooker!

Cheers,
David

Gaderian

Drifter wrote:
> Friendly reminder to those of us affected by the time change.
> Don't forget to set your clocks, gps units, VCR, television, camera,
> etc. back an hour!
>
> Cheers
>
> Drifter
> "I've been here, I've been there..."

A pleasant surprise for me.
My Pentax *istD automatically changes the time.
Just leave the setting on "world time" and enter in the city closest to you.

Drifter

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:29:01 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Drifter wrote:
>> Friendly reminder to those of us affected by the time change.
>> Don't forget to set your clocks, gps units, VCR, television, camera,
>> etc. back an hour!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Drifter

>Why not do what I do, and leave your camera set to UTC. No need to change
>then, no need to worry about time zone changes when travelling, no need to
>worry if it was daylight saving time in the country you were visiting when
>you were visitng.....
>
>BTW: GPS should /not/ need adjusting, my VCR is automatic, my radio clocks
>need no adjustment. Just the microwave, heating, watch and cooker!

David:
Obviously my sarcasm didn't come through. In addition to being a
reminder for those who need it, it was also supposed to be a
commentary on the stupid number of things that have clocks and how
even now in 2004 many of them don't have an "auto adjust" setting.
Next time I'll try harder <grin>.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

GT40

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:18:42 -0500, Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Friendly reminder to those of us affected by the time change.
>Don't forget to set your clocks, gps units, VCR, television, camera,
>etc. back an hour!

Your GPS unit should auto calibrate to the time, like my computer did.

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:29:01 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why not do what I do, and leave your camera set to UTC. No need to change
>then, no need to worry about time zone changes when travelling, no need to
>worry if it was daylight saving time in the country you were visiting when
>you were visitng.....

I'll give you it may be a better solution for some, but not all. There is
still the issue of how the date on the file is stamped and then
subsequently on the various computer file systems. If one always goes by
the exif info, then there is no problem. Files dates reported on your PC
are another issue.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:18:42 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Drifter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Friendly reminder to those of us affected by the time change.
>Don't forget to set your clocks, gps units, VCR, television, camera,
>etc. back an hour!

Also, a good time to replace batteries in smoke and CO2 detectors in the
house as well.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

David J Taylor

Drifter wrote:
[]
> David:
> Obviously my sarcasm didn't come through. In addition to being a
> reminder for those who need it, it was also supposed to be a
> commentary on the stupid number of things that have clocks and how
> even now in 2004 many of them don't have an "auto adjust" setting.
> Next time I'll try harder <grin>.

Oops!

Actually, I was little worried because my Nikon 8400 /does/ have a time
zone setting, and the /last/ thing I want to happen is for the camera to
change its taking time!

Speak with you next spring!

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

Ed Ruf wrote:
[]
> I'll give you it may be a better solution for some, but not all.
> There is still the issue of how the date on the file is stamped and
> then subsequently on the various computer file systems. If one always
> goes by the exif info, then there is no problem. Files dates reported
> on your PC are another issue.

I take my pictures timestamped in UTC, both the EXIF and the file
date/time. I use Picture Information Extractor (PIE) to rename the files
in UTC yyyy-mm-dd-hhnn-ss format.

- with NTFS and CDFS, the file date/time is held in UTC internally, and
displayed according to the local-UTC offset. The displayed date/time will
vary according to time zone and summer/winter offset.

- with FAT the date/time is just held as "clock" time.

Cheers,
David

Bob Harrington

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:18:42 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Drifter
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Friendly reminder to those of us affected by the time change.
>> Don't forget to set your clocks, gps units, VCR, television, camera,
>> etc. back an hour!

> Also, a good time to replace batteries in smoke and CO2 detectors in
> the house as well.

Even more so for your CO1 detectors... ;^)