Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Vivitar

Vivitar

davem

How good is this brand for non-professional use?

I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.

thanks

Basic Wedge

Vivitar, once a fairly well regarded brand, is, nowadays, not recommended.

Rob

--------------------------------

"davem" wrote ...
> How good is this brand for non-professional use?
>
> I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
> bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.
>
> thanks

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , davem
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How good is this brand for non-professional use?
>
> I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
> bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.

Vivitar is a marketing company. They don't make anything.

Basic Wedge

Who has suggested otherwise?

Rob

-----------------------

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote ...

> Vivitar is a marketing company. They don't make anything.

Darrell Larose

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:301020041815183625%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , davem
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > How good is this brand for non-professional use?
> >
> > I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
> > bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.

> Vivitar is a marketing company. They don't make anything.

That is owned by the Australian firm Hanimex...

---

JohnR

It is a fixed focal length and apparently fixed focus (non AF) lens, It does
have a portrait and landscape setting.

I'd recommend an camera with an optical zoom and auto focus.
John

"davem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> How good is this brand for non-professional use?
>
> I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
> bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.
>
> thanks

Tripmonkey (UK)

Bought my mum a Vivitar last xmas for under 100 pounds (3625model).
Broke within 2 months and she couldn't get it changed as she'd lost the
proof of purches .
Shame as the prints that we got from the camera were excellent compared
to others that i've seen from the same spec & price range.

Trip

davem wrote:
> How good is this brand for non-professional use?
>
> I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
> bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.
>
> thanks

George

"Tripmonkey (UK)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vofhd.22051$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Bought my mum a Vivitar last xmas for under 100 pounds (3625model).
> Broke within 2 months and she couldn't get it changed as she'd lost the
> proof of purches .
> Shame as the prints that we got from the camera were excellent compared
> to others that i've seen from the same spec & price range.
>
> Trip
>
> davem wrote:
> > How good is this brand for non-professional use?
> >
> > I saw a Vivitar 3740 in Index.co.uk for only 50 quid. It looks like a
> > bargain, as its even has an available movie mode.
> >
> > thanks

Based on my recent experience with Vivitar (USA), I'd avoid them like the
plague.
The problems I experienced with them was on two different Vivitar cameras,
one
digital and one 35mm (P&S). The 35mm just totally died within 3 months, the
digital
situation was considerably more irritating (the camera didn't fail). With
the digital
camera (my daughter's), we moved and the movers lost the proprietary cable
for
downloading the pics (camera has built-in memory only)...the really
irritating thing
is that I tried contacting Vivitar via snail-mail, email, and even left a
voice-mail
message and they didn't even bother to respond to any of them...too bad. My
30 year old Vivitar 283 still works like new, but based on these two recent
experiences, I will NEVER buy another product of theirs nor will I ever
recommend
them to anyone else. Companies that give ZERO support deserve ZERO
business.

(BTW--Nothing happened with the 35mm situation as if they wouldn't even
respond,
I saw no reason to send it to them. Both the 35mm and digital camera
problems
occurred at the same time.)