Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Are Genuine Fuji Lenses Worth The Money?

Are Genuine Fuji Lenses Worth The Money?

Steve

Forgive my ignorance, but Im new to this.

Fuji make the TL-FX9 and WL-FX9 lenses that are compatible with the S7000.
Im thinking of getting these lenses, but I don't know if they are actually
any good?

The wide conversion lens (WL-FX9) says is x0.79, and the TL-FX9 is x1.5.

These numbers seem remakably low bearing in mind that they cost around 90
each.

Will the wide angle conversion give be much more of a wide angle than the
built in lens? Will the telephoto conversion only take me 1.5 times closer
than the 6x optical on the camera?

Im not sure if these conversion lenses will actually be any good. Somone out
there must have these lenses and can tell me how much of a difference they
will make. Please explain in laymans terms, as like I said, I'm new to this,

Thx.

Clyde

Steve wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but Im new to this.
>
> Fuji make the TL-FX9 and WL-FX9 lenses that are compatible with the S7000.
> Im thinking of getting these lenses, but I don't know if they are actually
> any good?
>
> The wide conversion lens (WL-FX9) says is x0.79, and the TL-FX9 is x1.5.
>
> These numbers seem remakably low bearing in mind that they cost around 90
> each.
>
> Will the wide angle conversion give be much more of a wide angle than the
> built in lens? Will the telephoto conversion only take me 1.5 times closer
> than the 6x optical on the camera?
>
> Im not sure if these conversion lenses will actually be any good. Somone out
> there must have these lenses and can tell me how much of a difference they
> will make. Please explain in laymans terms, as like I said, I'm new to this,
>
> Thx.

I can't speak to those specific lens. However, Fuji has had the
reputation in medium and large format film cameras of having lenses that
are second to none. So, they know how to build the best lens. Of course,
that doesn't mean that all their lenses are top quality - just like any
other lens maker.

Clyde

Ken Burns

All of these add-on adapter lenses are notorious for introducing optical
problems. No matter how high the quality, they will reduce image quality
significantly. That's why, during the days of film, these devices never
really caught on. I don't understand why they've become popular today. Are
the Fuji adapter lenses actually made by Fuji or are they just sold under
their brand name?

KB

news:4183704f$0$80695$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forgive my ignorance, but Im new to this.
>
> Fuji make the TL-FX9 and WL-FX9 lenses that are compatible with the S7000.
> Im thinking of getting these lenses, but I don't know if they are actually
> any good?
>
> The wide conversion lens (WL-FX9) says is x0.79, and the TL-FX9 is x1.5.
>
> These numbers seem remakably low bearing in mind that they cost around 90
> each.
>
> Will the wide angle conversion give be much more of a wide angle than the
> built in lens? Will the telephoto conversion only take me 1.5 times closer
> than the 6x optical on the camera?
>
> Im not sure if these conversion lenses will actually be any good. Somone
> out there must have these lenses and can tell me how much of a difference
> they will make. Please explain in laymans terms, as like I said, I'm new
> to this,
>
> Thx.

Larry

In article <4183704f$0$80695$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-
reader03.plus.net>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Forgive my ignorance, but Im new to this.
>
> Fuji make the TL-FX9 and WL-FX9 lenses that are compatible with the S7000..
> Im thinking of getting these lenses, but I don't know if they are actually
> any good?
>
> The wide conversion lens (WL-FX9) says is x0.79, and the TL-FX9 is x1.5.
>
> These numbers seem remakably low bearing in mind that they cost around 90
> each.
>
> Will the wide angle conversion give be much more of a wide angle than the
> built in lens? Will the telephoto conversion only take me 1.5 times closer
> than the 6x optical on the camera?
>
> Im not sure if these conversion lenses will actually be any good. Somone out
> there must have these lenses and can tell me how much of a difference they
> will make. Please explain in laymans terms, as like I said, I'm new to this,
>
> Thx.

The tele-converter converts the entire range of the "built-
in" lens to 1.5 times its range.

The wide angle converter makes the wide angle end of the
range .79x WIDER.

The reason for the low multplyer is QUALITY.. High
magnification with high quality is EXPENSIVE.

For a lens add-on to take you past 9x (6x times the 1.5x)
would take a bigger, heavier, longer and thus more
expensive lens.

Sony offers the same conversion rates for the add ons for
the 717.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.