Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless questions for XP

Wireless questions for XP

Sam

I have a network that and I noticed under "Available
networks" in the Wireless Connection properties that
there are two network names it picks up:

The two names are:

Linksys
Any

Why does it pick up the name Any? Do these names only
pick up when there is an access point? I think I read
that there must be an access point in order for these
names to appear. Right now, I have not secured my
wireless network if this helps at all.

Sebastjan Kocelj, Avtenta.SI

Hi Sam,

You can see network from AP of your neighboor, or you could once add this
network manualy. It depends were this network name appears.

--
Best Regards,
Sebastjan Kocelj

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:58c501c4748b$5b1bc800$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a network that and I noticed under "Available
> networks" in the Wireless Connection properties that
> there are two network names it picks up:
>
> The two names are:
>
> Linksys
> Any
>
> Why does it pick up the name Any? Do these names only
> pick up when there is an access point? I think I read
> that there must be an access point in order for these
> names to appear. Right now, I have not secured my
> wireless network if this helps at all.

Jack

Hi
Set your network in a more secure way.

Basic Wireless Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Basic Wireless Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sebastjan Kocelj, Avtenta.SI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Sam,
>
> You can see network from AP of your neighboor, or you could once add this
> network manualy. It depends were this network name appears.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Sebastjan Kocelj
> Avtenta.SI
> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
> for Support Services
>
> "Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:58c501c4748b$5b1bc800$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a network that and I noticed under "Available
> > networks" in the Wireless Connection properties that
> > there are two network names it picks up:
> >
> > The two names are:
> >
> > Linksys
> > Any
> >
> > Why does it pick up the name Any? Do these names only
> > pick up when there is an access point? I think I read
> > that there must be an access point in order for these
> > names to appear. Right now, I have not secured my
> > wireless network if this helps at all.

Joshua Teague [MSFT]

What you are seeing are seeing is called an SSID, or the name of the
network. When an access point (AP) is configured it can be set to broadcast
its SSID. Broadcasting its SSID allows all wireless adapters within range
to "see" the network. So assuming your network SSID is Linksys, than Any is
another network SSID that is within range of your network adapter.

It's a good idea to not use the default SSID with your AP. You should go
through the setup of your AP and configure and unique SSID and enable WEP
encryption at the very least. Please refer to AP manufacture's
documentation on this.

Here is a link to a site that talks about security for wireless networks at
home,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...s/03May15.mspx

--
Joshua