Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > News Proxy may be why many people may have missed the vote

News Proxy may be why many people may have missed the vote

Renee

I just realized something:

The RPD reorganization charter posted at http://tinyurl.com/4s2np was
addressed to news.announce.newsgroups, news.groups,
alt.comp.periphs.dcameras, rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Any voting posts that were cross-posted to several groups, like this charter
was, are automatically filtered out by my News Proxy. I don't ever get to
see them.

If your News Proxy is set up like mine is, then you missed the posts, too.

..
..
..

democracy my arse

Renee

"Renee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:m_dfd.5497$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just realized something:
>
> The RPD reorganization charter posted at http://tinyurl.com/4s2np was
> addressed to news.announce.newsgroups, news.groups,
> alt.comp.periphs.dcameras, rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm
>
> Any voting posts that were cross-posted to several groups, like this
> charter was, are automatically filtered out by my News Proxy. I don't ever
> get to see them.

If this is not the case, then disregard my previous message.

I'll blame my missing the voting posts on my preoccupation with the 3
hurricanes that hit my house this summer . . . no electricity for 17 days
total . . . sawing off tree limbs to get my car out of my driveway, dealing
with property damage, insurance companies . . . enough to keep a poor girl
busy for weeks.

I just think that expanding the ng to that many new groups is not good. For
example: Will an experienced ZLR poster ever see the post from a P&S newbie
about CF cards? Will a ZLR poster with question about batteries posting in
the P&S ng, and mentioning his camera brand, be told to go to his own ng for
answers? Will good posts be cross-posted and get filtered out by News Proxy?
etc, etc

Sorry to sound like I'm bitching but I think this whole idea has gotten out
of hand. One expansion group for SLR would have been fine, IMO.

Woodchuck Bill

"Renee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ifefd.5569$(E-Mail Removed):

> Sorry to sound like I'm bitching but I think this whole idea has
> gotten out of hand. One expansion group for SLR would have been fine,
> IMO.

RPD is not going away. Don't be so dramatic about the whole thing. Life
will go on as it did before!

--
Bill

Renee

"Woodchuck Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Renee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:ifefd.5569$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Sorry to sound like I'm bitching but I think this whole idea has
>> gotten out of hand. One expansion group for SLR would have been fine,
>> IMO.

> RPD is not going away. Don't be so dramatic about the whole thing.
> Life
> will go on as it did before!
>
> --
> Bill

LOL

I thought you knew there's no stopping me once I got my pantyhose in a knot

: )

Stephen Poley

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:11:46 GMT, "Renee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any voting posts that were cross-posted to several groups, like this charter
>was, are automatically filtered out by my News Proxy. I don't ever get to
>see them.
>
>If your News Proxy is set up like mine is, then you missed the posts, too.

Ah. That explains why I didn't see them either.

Based on previous experience, it's a rare event that something
cross-posted to more than four groups is worth reading.

--
Stephen Poley

Dave Martindale

"Renee" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Any voting posts that were cross-posted to several groups, like this charter
>was, are automatically filtered out by my News Proxy. I don't ever get to
>see them.

I don't use News Proxy, and I read news with trn. But my trn killfile
for this group is set up to discard all crossposted articles. This is
probably somewhat common, since it's a good way to eliminate many troll
postings and the threads they start. Anyway, I didn't see the RFD/vote
stuff either.

Dave