Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best accessory light for Canon Optura 40 ???

Best accessory light for Canon Optura 40 ???

roger beniot

I'm looking into getting the Canon Optura 40. I want also get an
accessory light that works w/ the accessory shoe. From Canon's
website there seems to be three options

Canon Video Flash Light VFL-1 (camcorder light and flash for stills)
Canon VL-10Li Video Light (requires external power supply)
Canon VL-3 Video Light (powered from camcorder battery)

I'm hoping someone can let me know which is appropriate for my
standard usage.

I want to be able to film indoors (holidays, parties, etc)… I'm also
looking to be able to film outside in lower light situations (dusk,
night, heavy clouds, etc). I also want it to be fairly easy to use
and allow me to quickly attach it and use it. I won't be using the
Optura 40 for stills so the idea of having a flash for stills is
really not important).

How far do each of the lights project? Can I expect to see subjects
10 feet away at night or do they have to stand right in front of the
camera?

I don't understand how the VL-10LI works w/ an external battery… Do I
have to carry an extra battery for it to plug into? Do I carry the
battery in my hand/pocket or can it attach to the camera some way? Is
there an owners manual available on the web w/ more details (so far
I've had no luck trying to find it)?

Thanks in advance,
Roger