Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How many?

How many?

Joe

I decided to buy a digital camera as my other 4 year old one got nicked. I
was amazed at the number of different models on sale. There must be at least
500 out there. Any body got any idea of just how many different digital
cameras and their facilities and specs I will have to wade through to find
what I want. ( I've been to dpreview.com and it may take me about 3 months
to read and compare all the bumph)
Joe

andre

Joe wrote:
> I decided to buy a digital camera as my other 4 year old one got nicked. I
> was amazed at the number of different models on sale. There must be at least
> 500 out there. Any body got any idea of just how many different digital
> cameras and their facilities and specs I will have to wade through to find
> what I want. ( I've been to dpreview.com and it may take me about 3 months
> to read and compare all the bumph)
> Joe

First try to narrow down your priorities.
Are you going for small size (e.g. Casio Exilim, Canon Ixus, Pentax Optio)
Are you going for maximum image quality (Digital SLR).
Are you going for some cheaper consumer product.

Make upe your mind about what exactly you want and then stick to it.

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Andrew MacPherson

In article <417c2030$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Joe) wrote:

> Any body got any idea of just how many different digital
> cameras and their facilities and specs I will have to
> wade through to find what I want

I think like buying anything in today's overcrowded market
you have to stand back at first and decide what you want from
that item -- whether it's a car or a camera.

Ok, you inevitably end up allowing reviews and feature creep
to drag you away from your initial targets, but you've got to
try or else you're doomed to months of head indecision... or
regret if you impulse buy.

When I bought my last camera I wanted...
a) AA batteries (because I like the flexibility and had
plenty of good ones already).
b) a 400ukp upper limit
c) CF memory if possible because it seems most flexible
(though I'm now increasingly convinced I'll need to buy new
memory every time I buy a camera).
d) x10 or greater zoom

I soon added e) image stabilisation, which narrowed the field
even further.

So sitting back and drawing up a similar list may help focus
your spending. The user reviews are dpreview are very useful
once you have a shortlist.

Andrew McP

PS Can't you get in the Big Rat and borrow the brain of a
professional camera buyer?

Warren

Once you read some reviews and have learned the lingo of digital cameras and
have a better idea of what you want www.dpreview.com has an excellent camera
buyers guide. If you know what you want and what you don't in features, I
found this excellent guide will seriously narrow down the marketplace. The
trick is you have to know what features you need (not nice to have but
essential) and how much money you want to spend on the camera. Then you can
start reading detailed comparison reviews in order make your final decision.

news:417c2030$(E-Mail Removed)...