Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 or D100?

Nikon D70 or D100?

Andrew

Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
better?
What you think? Thanks.

Tom Scales

If you don't need the vertical battery grip, then the D70 is better.

Tom
> Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
> better?
> What you think? Thanks.

[BnH]

Get the D70.
My friend that have used the D1x ,D100 and D70 .. now streamlining his gear
and keep D1x and D70 only.

They are cheaper but performed nearly the same [excluding battery grip and
alloy body ]

=bob=

> Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
> better?
> What you think? Thanks.

Andrew

I'm a casual user, not pro. But I'd like to use my other Nikon lenses,
both AF and AI type. Should I get the kit lense to go with it?

What CF cards should I get? Fry's has the regular yellow Lexar 1GB
CF card for $50 after rebate. Is that too slow? Or I need the 40x card?
Thanks.

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you don't need the vertical battery grip, then the D70 is better.
>
> Tom
> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
>> better?
>> What you think? Thanks.

larrylook

> I'm a casual user, not pro. But I'd like to use my other Nikon lenses,
> both AF and AI type. Should I get the kit lense to go with it?
>
> What CF cards should I get? Fry's has the regular yellow Lexar 1GB
> CF card for $50 after rebate. Is that too slow? Or I need the 40x card?
> Thanks.

Concensus seems to me that if you do a lot of very rapid shooting that
overruns the camera buffer, it's nice to have a fast card (lexar 40x or 80x,
or sandisk ultra 2). Also such cards are coming down in price rapidly (in a
few years they'll pay you to take them). Check out Buy.com, I got the
sandisk ulttra 2 (1gb size) from them. Another argument for the fast cards,
is versatility for future devices, that you may not be thinking about now.
Don't forget the cards will shoot many more pictures than the camera
indicates they will. It's a well known fact.

C J Campbell

> Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
> better?
> What you think? Thanks.

Newer is not always better, but the D70 is a better value than the D100.
Actually, the D70 is a D100 with a lighter body, but some of the menu items
have been disabled and some of the buttons removed. There are hacks
available to reactivate the dead menu items, but they could void your
warranty.

Andrew

Then why D100 still sells very well?

From what I've heard, people favor D70 over D100....

"C J Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
>> better?
>> What you think? Thanks.

> Newer is not always better, but the D70 is a better value than the D100.
> Actually, the D70 is a D100 with a lighter body, but some of the menu
> items
> have been disabled and some of the buttons removed. There are hacks
> available to reactivate the dead menu items, but they could void your
> warranty.

Tom Scales

I have both and prefer the D70.

I am unaware of any missing menu items or hacks for the D70. Are you
thinking of the Canon 300D?

Tom
newscFed.2375$8W6.701@trnddc05...
> Then why D100 still sells very well?
>
> From what I've heard, people favor D70 over D100....
>
> "C J Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
>>> better?
>>> What you think? Thanks.

>> Newer is not always better, but the D70 is a better value than the D100.
>> Actually, the D70 is a D100 with a lighter body, but some of the menu
>> items
>> have been disabled and some of the buttons removed. There are hacks
>> available to reactivate the dead menu items, but they could void your
>> warranty.

C J Campbell

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have both and prefer the D70.
>
> I am unaware of any missing menu items or hacks for the D70. Are you
> thinking of the Canon 300D?

You know what? I think I was.

Gadgets

D100 is a bit more solid and heavier, has a couple of extra high ISO (noise)
settings, custom curves etc. For most people's needs, I think you'd be
better off with a D70 and more money for a lens... D70 colour accuracy and
shutter lag beat the D100.

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com