Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice: Beer damaged digital camera.

Advice: Beer damaged digital camera.

Paul J Gans

Ed Ruf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:45:10 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "KN4665"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Wow. De-ionised water? Crikey!
>>Ok, I'll try to source that then.

>If not, then distilled is still better than from the tap.

Distilled is better than deionized.

--- Paul J. Gans

KN4665

"Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clh4h1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> KN4665 wrote:
>
> > "Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:clgu8e$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > cold

company,

recoveries.

> > and/or

> > new

been

insured.

> > sudden

> > dropped

> >>Tell 'em it was dropped in the toilet - they'll never touch it.
> >>

> > I'd be more concerned about them wondering why I'd had my camera in the
> > bathroom, close enough to the toilet to get dropped into it..
> >

> Well, no doubt they'll giggle themselves silly for a week or more, but
> who cares - it's not like they're coming to dinner or anything. Or are
> they? In that case, that bathroom window has always been a really cool
> place to sneak up on the bird feeder outside. right?
>
> --

I like it.
Nice one, thanks!

KN4665

"Paul J Gans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cljn3s$qgd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> KN4665 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >I've been shooting only on an amateur level with a Sony Cybershot P-71

for a
> >major recording artist for whom I run a website.
> >We do have pro shooters, but these shots I take go straight up into the
> >messageboard for the fans to see, usually on the same night of the

concerts
> >and we have been very pleased with them.
> >Last night whilst in the photo pit a pint of beer hit me and my

Cybershot,

> I've heard the same advice many times given in similar
> situations. It works at times and doesn't at times.
>
> But any group who would waste perfectly good beer is not
> worth humoring.

Agreed.

> So have you considered a slight change in venue? Why not
> do a web site on water buffalo. You can photograph them.
> There's not a lot of competition. I understand that while
> not the most peaceful of animals, they are better behaved
> than the average fan.
>
> ---- Paul J. Gans

I don't doubt that for a second Paul, but water buffalo are indigenous to a
far more afar land than your average London based fan.

However, I fear we are straying quickly off-topic, so I'll just end by
saying that today the said Cybershot sprung back to life with an almost
triumphant beep, and is (or seems to be) working as before the beery shower.
I have of course taken on board the posts from everyone, and submitted my
insurance claim today - unfortunately the record label/band crapped out on
their offer of help paying for a replacement.
Should the claim be successful I imagine I may have to return the camera.
If not, I'll pull it apart and clean properly with de-ionised water, or send
it to a friend that works with surface mount electronics, who says I should
send it along to him as he has had experience with this kind of accident
before.
Similarly if the claim *is* successful and they don't ask for it back (
though I realise the camera may be the property of the insurers ), I shall
do the cleany-up thing too.

Big, big thanks to everyone for their help.
Here's (hopefully) to that 7.2 MP P-150 as a replacement.

Paul J Gans

KN4665 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Paul J Gans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:cljn3s$qgd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> KN4665 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I've been shooting only on an amateur level with a Sony Cybershot P-71

>for a
>> >major recording artist for whom I run a website.
>> >We do have pro shooters, but these shots I take go straight up into the
>> >messageboard for the fans to see, usually on the same night of the

>concerts
>> >and we have been very pleased with them.
>> >Last night whilst in the photo pit a pint of beer hit me and my

>Cybershot,
>>

>> I've heard the same advice many times given in similar
>> situations. It works at times and doesn't at times.
>>
>> But any group who would waste perfectly good beer is not
>> worth humoring.
>>

>Agreed.

>> So have you considered a slight change in venue? Why not
>> do a web site on water buffalo. You can photograph them.
>> There's not a lot of competition. I understand that while
>> not the most peaceful of animals, they are better behaved
>> than the average fan.
>>
>> ---- Paul J. Gans

>I don't doubt that for a second Paul, but water buffalo are indigenous to a
>far more afar land than your average London based fan.

>However, I fear we are straying quickly off-topic, so I'll just end by
>saying that today the said Cybershot sprung back to life with an almost
>triumphant beep, and is (or seems to be) working as before the beery shower.
>I have of course taken on board the posts from everyone, and submitted my
>insurance claim today - unfortunately the record label/band crapped out on
>their offer of help paying for a replacement.
>Should the claim be successful I imagine I may have to return the camera.
>If not, I'll pull it apart and clean properly with de-ionised water, or send
>it to a friend that works with surface mount electronics, who says I should
>send it along to him as he has had experience with this kind of accident
>before.
>Similarly if the claim *is* successful and they don't ask for it back (
>though I realise the camera may be the property of the insurers ), I shall
>do the cleany-up thing too.

>Big, big thanks to everyone for their help.
>Here's (hopefully) to that 7.2 MP P-150 as a replacement.

Great news on the camera working! I hope it continues to
do so, in spite of the reasonable warnings we've all given
about survival over time.

--- Paul J. Gans

Mike O'Sullivan

KN4665 wrote:
>> Big, big thanks to everyone for their help.

> Here's (hopefully) to that 7.2 MP P-150 as a replacement.

Another tip. Use vodka next time!

Pacific Digital Photo Frame (MF-810) keeps getting "Damaged slide" error LurfysMa Digital Photography 5 12-24-2005 11:55 PM
OT: Beer thirty Ken Briscoe MCSE 22 04-12-2004 02:20 PM
attn: billyw Here is a real mans beer Network Guru MCSE 2 01-18-2004 02:05 PM
beer... zachh MCSE 5 10-17-2003 02:22 PM
Help!! Damaged Digital Photo FD3STT Digital Photography 3 08-26-2003 06:42 AM

Advertisments