Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice: Beer damaged digital camera.

Advice: Beer damaged digital camera.

KN4665

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> KN4665 wrote:
>

> > One of the pro shooters I spoke to told me to remove batteries, run cold
> > water over the unit and leave to dry in an airing cupboard or similar

warm
> > area for a few days.
> > Whilst I'm happy to give this a go before I ring the insurance company,

> > was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and could

suggest
> > anything further, or tell me of any (hopefully ) successful recoveries.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance for any pointers and your time.

> Hold everything!! Despite the advice already given, with the best of
> intentions, I would do *nothing* to the camera before contacting your

insurance
> company. Most ins. co's are likely to refuse a claim if you have

subsequently
> interfered with the damaged item, on the grounds that it may have been

fixable
> before unskilled work was performed on it, e.g. submerging in water and/or
> opening it up. Further, your best outcome here would be to try for a new
> camera, rather than fixing this one. Almost all cameras that have been

wet will
> subsequently corrode internally, at which point you may not be insured.

Most
> ins.co's have clauses that eliminate 'gradual' damage as opposed to sudden
> damage, so a claim after six months or more won't be met.
>
> YMMV, but I would check first.
>
> Colin

Well, I haven't dismantled it yet, but have dunked it.
If it's needed for inspoection, I suppose I could always say it was dropped
in water.

Ta.

KN4665

"JohnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4GCed.753109$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "KN4665" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi group - first post here.
> > Just downloaded all messages but failed to find any answers. Apologies

if
> > I've missed any, and if I'm in the wrong group or there is a more

relevant
> > group Ishoud post in, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right
> > direction, cheers.
> >
> > I've been shooting only on an amateur level with a Sony Cybershot P-71

for
> > major recording artist for whom I run a website.
> > We do have pro shooters, but these shots I take go straight up into the
> > messageboard for the fans to see, usually on the same night of the

> concerts
> > and we have been very pleased with them.
> > Last night whilst in the photo pit a pint of beer hit me and my

Cybershot,
> > wiping it out completely. A message came up on the LCD screen along the
> > lines of 'Shut Camera Off' which I did - the lens remained out and open.
> > I've only tried to switch it back on once, and the unit made noises like

> it
> > was trying to run back the lens, but fails.
> > One of the pro shooters I spoke to told me to remove batteries, run cold
> > water over the unit and leave to dry in an airing cupboard or similar

warm
> > area for a few days.
> > Whilst I'm happy to give this a go before I ring the insurance company,

> > was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and could

suggest
> > anything further, or tell me of any (hopefully ) successful recoveries.
> >

> > Many thanks in advance for any pointers and your time.
> >

> It's hosed. Even if you got it going, it probably will not work the same,

or
> break when you need it. If you in these situations that get equipment beer
> soaked, look for a water resistant model that can be washed off. I believe
> Pentax has such a camera.
> John

Ah well, we'll have to wait and see.
Insurance Co is looking best option.
I have myself a long rubber cloak with extra overhang hood.
I'll use that next time.

KN4665

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:50:17 +0100, "KN4665" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi group - first post here.
> >Just downloaded all messages but failed to find any answers. Apologies if
> >I've missed any, and if I'm in the wrong group or there is a more

relevant
> >group Ishoud post in, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right
> >direction, cheers.
> >

> <snip>
>
> I think just about everything has been covered except a couple of
> items. I do agree that a dunking is bad enough, but beer, or soda is
> really bad. Even cleaned the CCD is most likely going to have smears
> on it and even if it works it's probably not long for this world.
>
> In my case my insurance does not cover my cameras when on a job. I
> had to get and pay for additional insurance for that. I've never
> broken a camera on a job, but I've totally trashed 3 over the years.
>
> I'd contact the insurance company immediately as they may not want the
> camera dismantled without knowing ahead of time, but washing the thing
> out as soon as possible is essential. Washing can't possibly make it
> any worse than beer.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)

Thanks Roger, advice taken on board and camera washed.

KN4665

"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
news:417b53da$0$106$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "KN4665" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > On a plus side, I'm reasonably sure the memory stick was undamaged, but
> > couldn't be certain.
> > Perhaps I should give the card the water treatment too?
> > I'm not *that* bothered about the card and it's contents, but anything

is
> > plus at this stage.

> I can answer that one. A UK magazine tested all the different types of
> memory card to destruction to see how sturdy they are. They easily

survived
> immersion in Coke, boiling water, and much physical abuse. About the only
> thing guaranteed to kill them was driving a nail through them.

That's great news.
Thanks Steve.
A bonus maybe, at last.

KN4665

"DHB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> KN4665,
> the advice you have been given is largely very good. About
> 15 years ago when I was working for Lorain Telecommunications & Power
> Systems as an "Service Engineer" (Glorified name for an "Electronic
> Technician" (ET) working in field service, I received this information
> & question by phone from a client in NY.
>
> He informed me that the bran new, uninstalled UPS
> (Uninterruptible Power Supply) & 2 new uninstalled 48VDC 50A
> rectifiers (19" Rack Mounted Industrial Battery Chargers) had gotten
> wet. The skyscraper they were to be installed in was undergoing major
> renovations & a contractor turned on the water to the new sprinkler
> system but somebody forgot to install the sprinkler head just above
> the equipment in this room, so it got wet before they figured out
> there was a problem.
>
> The question then was: "What needs to be done to insure
> reliability of this equipment?"
>
> My answer: "The only way to insure reliability would be to
> replace any equipment that got wet because even though it is new & was
> un-powered at the time, problems might not reveal themselves for
> weeks, months or even years down the road."
>
> His response was: "That's what my engineers have told me as
> well. Duplicate my equipment order & it will be billed to the
> insurance company." Additionally he requested my response in writing
> to submit to the insurance company, which I provided to him & further
> explained some of the reasons why this equipment would never again be
> reliable.
>
> This equipment cost several thousand US dollars & it was
> replaced & covered by the insurance company without any additional
> question due to my official written statement & that of his own
> engineers.
>
> Any impurities in the water might cause oxidation (corrosion)
> almost anywhere over time. Additionally even a tiny amount of
> slightly conductive residue in the wrong place on a circuit board,
> connector, switch.......etc. could cause erratic & intermittent
> problems over time.
>
> The short version, if you can have the insurance company
> replace it, that's the way to go. If they want the damaged 1, give it
> to them. If they don't want it & it works after cleaning it out as
> best you can, consider yourself lucky & consider it to be operating on
> borrowed time. Thus use it as much as possible before problems begin,
> but have it's replacement ready as there is no way of knowing when
> it's likely to fail. Hopefully you will get a year or more out of it
> but I would not bank on it.
>
> Respectfully, DHB

Thanks a million for your reply DHB.
Points are noted.

KN4665

"KN4665" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
> news:417b53da$0$106$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >
> > "KN4665" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > On a plus side, I'm reasonably sure the memory stick was undamaged,

but
> > > couldn't be certain.
> > > Perhaps I should give the card the water treatment too?
> > > I'm not *that* bothered about the card and it's contents, but anything

> is
> > > plus at this stage.

> > I can answer that one. A UK magazine tested all the different types of
> > memory card to destruction to see how sturdy they are. They easily

> survived
> > immersion in Coke, boiling water, and much physical abuse. About the

only
> > thing guaranteed to kill them was driving a nail through them.
> >

> That's great news.
> Thanks Steve.
> A bonus maybe, at last.

Yay. Dropped the card into a mates camera and the photos ( 24 compared to
the usual 180, due to being beer showered two songs in ) are fine.
A result in that department at least.

Jer

KN4665 wrote:

> "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
>

>>KN4665 wrote:
>>

>>>One of the pro shooters I spoke to told me to remove batteries, run cold
>>>water over the unit and leave to dry in an airing cupboard or similar

> warm
>
>>>area for a few days.
>>>Whilst I'm happy to give this a go before I ring the insurance company,

>>>was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and could

> suggest
>
>>>anything further, or tell me of any (hopefully ) successful recoveries.
>>>
>>>Many thanks in advance for any pointers and your time.

>>Hold everything!! Despite the advice already given, with the best of
>>intentions, I would do *nothing* to the camera before contacting your

> insurance
>
>>company. Most ins. co's are likely to refuse a claim if you have

> subsequently
>
>>interfered with the damaged item, on the grounds that it may have been

> fixable
>
>>before unskilled work was performed on it, e.g. submerging in water and/or
>>opening it up. Further, your best outcome here would be to try for a new
>>camera, rather than fixing this one. Almost all cameras that have been

> wet will
>
>>subsequently corrode internally, at which point you may not be insured.

> Most
>
>>ins.co's have clauses that eliminate 'gradual' damage as opposed to sudden
>>damage, so a claim after six months or more won't be met.
>>
>>YMMV, but I would check first.
>>
>>Colin
>>

> Well, I haven't dismantled it yet, but have dunked it.
> If it's needed for inspoection, I suppose I could always say it was dropped
> in water.
>
> Ta.

Tell 'em it was dropped in the toilet - they'll never touch it.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

KN4665

"Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clgu8e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> KN4665 wrote:
>
> > "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

cold

> > warm

> > suggest

> >>Hold everything!! Despite the advice already given, with the best of
> >>intentions, I would do *nothing* to the camera before contacting your

> > insurance
> >
> >>company. Most ins. co's are likely to refuse a claim if you have

> > subsequently
> >
> >>interfered with the damaged item, on the grounds that it may have been

> > fixable
> >
> >>before unskilled work was performed on it, e.g. submerging in water

and/or
> >>opening it up. Further, your best outcome here would be to try for a

new
> >>camera, rather than fixing this one. Almost all cameras that have been

> > wet will
> >
> >>subsequently corrode internally, at which point you may not be insured.

> > Most
> >
> >>ins.co's have clauses that eliminate 'gradual' damage as opposed to

sudden
> >>damage, so a claim after six months or more won't be met.
> >>
> >>YMMV, but I would check first.
> >>
> >>Colin
> >>

> > Well, I haven't dismantled it yet, but have dunked it.
> > If it's needed for inspoection, I suppose I could always say it was

dropped
> > in water.
> >
> > Ta.
> >

> Tell 'em it was dropped in the toilet - they'll never touch it.

I'd be more concerned about them wondering why I'd had my camera in the
bathroom, close enough to the toilet to get dropped into it..

Jer

KN4665 wrote:

> "Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:clgu8e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>KN4665 wrote:
>>

>>>"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> cold

>>>warm

>>>suggest

>>>insurance

>>>subsequently

>>>fixable

> and/or

> new

>>>wet will

>>>Most

> sudden

>>>Well, I haven't dismantled it yet, but have dunked it.
>>>If it's needed for inspoection, I suppose I could always say it was

> dropped
>
>>>in water.
>>>
>>>Ta.
>>>

>>Tell 'em it was dropped in the toilet - they'll never touch it.
>>

> I'd be more concerned about them wondering why I'd had my camera in the
> bathroom, close enough to the toilet to get dropped into it..

Well, no doubt they'll giggle themselves silly for a week or more, but
who cares - it's not like they're coming to dinner or anything. Or are
they? In that case, that bathroom window has always been a really cool
place to sneak up on the bird feeder outside. right?

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Paul J Gans

KN4665 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi group - first post here.
>Just downloaded all messages but failed to find any answers. Apologies if
>I've missed any, and if I'm in the wrong group or there is a more relevant
>group Ishoud post in, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right
>direction, cheers.

>I've been shooting only on an amateur level with a Sony Cybershot P-71 for a
>major recording artist for whom I run a website.
>We do have pro shooters, but these shots I take go straight up into the
>messageboard for the fans to see, usually on the same night of the concerts
>and we have been very pleased with them.
>Last night whilst in the photo pit a pint of beer hit me and my Cybershot,
>wiping it out completely. A message came up on the LCD screen along the
>lines of 'Shut Camera Off' which I did - the lens remained out and open.
>I've only tried to switch it back on once, and the unit made noises like it
>was trying to run back the lens, but fails.
>One of the pro shooters I spoke to told me to remove batteries, run cold
>water over the unit and leave to dry in an airing cupboard or similar warm
>area for a few days.
>Whilst I'm happy to give this a go before I ring the insurance company, I
>was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and could suggest
>anything further, or tell me of any (hopefully ) successful recoveries.

>Many thanks in advance for any pointers and your time.

I've heard the same advice many times given in similar
situations. It works at times and doesn't at times.

But any group who would waste perfectly good beer is not
worth humoring.

So have you considered a slight change in venue? Why not
do a web site on water buffalo. You can photograph them.
There's not a lot of competition. I understand that while
not the most peaceful of animals, they are better behaved
than the average fan.

---- Paul J. Gans

Pacific Digital Photo Frame (MF-810) keeps getting "Damaged slide" error LurfysMa Digital Photography 5 12-24-2005 11:55 PM
OT: Beer thirty Ken Briscoe MCSE 22 04-12-2004 02:20 PM
attn: billyw Here is a real mans beer Network Guru MCSE 2 01-18-2004 02:05 PM
beer... zachh MCSE 5 10-17-2003 02:22 PM
Help!! Damaged Digital Photo FD3STT Digital Photography 3 08-26-2003 06:42 AM

Advertisments