Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > i9900 power problem redux

i9900 power problem redux

RobJ

I posted last week that my brand new i9900 printer went t*ts up after one
day (wouldn't power up). Just wanted to post back that I contacted Canon by
email on Sunday, 10/17, about the problem and they responded within a couple
of hours. They said I could either swap the printer for a new one or take it
to their local repair partner in San Diego. I opted for the latter. I took
the printer in and they were great. A mom & pop/family kind of place. They
estimated 5-6 business days, but got it done in 2 days. They had to replace
the main circuit board. One day later Canon followed up with a "Rate the
service you recieved" mailer. This was all under warranty and no charge to
me. I know that's how it's supposed to work, but I was very impressed. I'm
writing this off as an isolated case of infant mortality.

Is Canon customer service always this good? How about Nikon? I'm going to
upgrade from my G2 to a DSLR in the next few months and I'm still debating
which system (Canon or Nikon) to invest in. I know it's a no-lose decision,
but customer service is a big deal to me. But I'm also easily old enough to
remember when Nikon ruled in the 35mm world - by a long shot, so I'm kind of
biased toward Nikon. But Canon and the D20 are very hard to ignore.

Any comments on Canon vs. Nikon customer service?

Thanks,
Rob

Matt Ion

RobJ wrote:

> Is Canon customer service always this good?

I've had two experiences with them, both over the same issue, both at
opposite ends of the scale.

On my Rebel G, there's not much of anything that locks the rubber
eyepiece surround to the camera - the thing was constantly falling off,
usually in the camera bag, but sometimes onto the ground... until
finally it disappeared into the mud at an outdoor music festival.

I emailed Canon Canada to complain about this poor design, and they
promptly sent me a new eyepiece with apologies.

That was good for several months, until the thing disappeared again. I
emailed Canon again, pointing out that this had been an issue once
before. Their response was that I should ship the camera back to them
(their "local" service depot is in Calgary, AB... I'm in Vancouver...
not just across the street) so their technicians could examine the
camera and "confirm" my claims. Like... how do you "confirm" that a
part is MISSING? They can't accept my word that thing ISN'T THERE, they
have to see it for themselves?

I let it be for a while and suffered with the problem, until one day I
was shooting in bright sunlight and REALLY missing the thing... and I
wrote them another email, this time getting a little nasty and adding
their lame attitude to the complaint. In response, I was again shipped
a replacement eyepiece, but this time with a rather begrudging
acknowledgement and an indication that if the thing vanished again, it
would not be replaced a third time.

So... good or bad? Maybe it just depends on who answers the email...
the time of day... the phase of the moon?

Mr Jessop

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> RobJ wrote:
>
>> Is Canon customer service always this good?

> I've had two experiences with them, both over the same issue, both at
> opposite ends of the scale.
>
> On my Rebel G, there's not much of anything that locks the rubber eyepiece
> surround to the camera - the thing was constantly falling off, usually in
> the camera bag, but sometimes onto the ground... until finally it
> disappeared into the mud at an outdoor music festival.
>
> I emailed Canon Canada to complain about this poor design, and they
> promptly sent me a new eyepiece with apologies.
>
> That was good for several months, until the thing disappeared again. I
> emailed Canon again, pointing out that this had been an issue once before.
> Their response was that I should ship the camera back to them (their
> "local" service depot is in Calgary, AB... I'm in Vancouver... not just
> across the street) so their technicians could examine the camera and
> "confirm" my claims. Like... how do you "confirm" that a part is MISSING?
> They can't accept my word that thing ISN'T THERE, they have to see it for
> themselves?
>
> I let it be for a while and suffered with the problem, until one day I was
> shooting in bright sunlight and REALLY missing the thing... and I wrote
> them another email, this time getting a little nasty and adding their lame
> attitude to the complaint. In response, I was again shipped a replacement
> eyepiece, but this time with a rather begrudging acknowledgement and an
> indication that if the thing vanished again, it would not be replaced a
> third time.
>
> So... good or bad? Maybe it just depends on who answers the email... the
> time of day... the phase of the moon?

They wanted to see if the thing was faulty in a way that makes it fall off
so easily. Which of course is normal. They can't just send you the things
indefinitely. If it truly was a faulty design then they would have
thousands of people complaining. Thats why they want to view it. As for
them not having a service depot conveniently next door to you that really
isn't a valid criticism either.

Skip M

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> RobJ wrote:
>
>> Is Canon customer service always this good?

> I've had two experiences with them, both over the same issue, both at
> opposite ends of the scale.
>
> On my Rebel G, there's not much of anything that locks the rubber eyepiece
> surround to the camera - the thing was constantly falling off, usually in
> the camera bag, but sometimes onto the ground... until finally it
> disappeared into the mud at an outdoor music festival.
>
> I emailed Canon Canada to complain about this poor design, and they
> promptly sent me a new eyepiece with apologies.
>
> That was good for several months, until the thing disappeared again. I
> emailed Canon again, pointing out that this had been an issue once before.
> Their response was that I should ship the camera back to them (their
> "local" service depot is in Calgary, AB... I'm in Vancouver... not just
> across the street) so their technicians could examine the camera and
> "confirm" my claims. Like... how do you "confirm" that a part is MISSING?
> They can't accept my word that thing ISN'T THERE, they have to see it for
> themselves?
>
> I let it be for a while and suffered with the problem, until one day I was
> shooting in bright sunlight and REALLY missing the thing... and I wrote
> them another email, this time getting a little nasty and adding their lame
> attitude to the complaint. In response, I was again shipped a replacement
> eyepiece, but this time with a rather begrudging acknowledgement and an
> indication that if the thing vanished again, it would not be replaced a
> third time.
>
> So... good or bad? Maybe it just depends on who answers the email... the
> time of day... the phase of the moon?

I've had problems with the eyepiece cup falling off of every Canon camera
I've had, from the A2 through the 1n to the D30. I fully expect the 20D to
be the same. It is a twitchy design, two little clips inside the frame of
the eyepiece, easy to chip or round off. I lost one cup from my A2
(actually 2, but I found one in the bottom of a bag, months after replacing
it) and learned to be careful with it from then on. When I put the camera
in the bag, I either put it in one side first, rather than bottom first,
which keeps the cup from snagging on the edge of the bag, or hold a finger
on the cup as I put the camera in bottom first.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Mr Jessop

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> RobJ wrote:
>>
>>> Is Canon customer service always this good?

>> I've had two experiences with them, both over the same issue, both at
>> opposite ends of the scale.
>>
>> On my Rebel G, there's not much of anything that locks the rubber
>> eyepiece surround to the camera - the thing was constantly falling off,
>> usually in the camera bag, but sometimes onto the ground... until finally
>> it disappeared into the mud at an outdoor music festival.
>>
>> I emailed Canon Canada to complain about this poor design, and they
>> promptly sent me a new eyepiece with apologies.
>>
>> That was good for several months, until the thing disappeared again. I
>> emailed Canon again, pointing out that this had been an issue once
>> before. Their response was that I should ship the camera back to them
>> (their "local" service depot is in Calgary, AB... I'm in Vancouver... not
>> just across the street) so their technicians could examine the camera and
>> "confirm" my claims. Like... how do you "confirm" that a part is
>> MISSING? They can't accept my word that thing ISN'T THERE, they have to
>> see it for themselves?
>>
>> I let it be for a while and suffered with the problem, until one day I
>> was shooting in bright sunlight and REALLY missing the thing... and I
>> wrote them another email, this time getting a little nasty and adding
>> their lame attitude to the complaint. In response, I was again shipped a
>> replacement eyepiece, but this time with a rather begrudging
>> acknowledgement and an indication that if the thing vanished again, it
>> would not be replaced a third time.
>>
>> So... good or bad? Maybe it just depends on who answers the email... the
>> time of day... the phase of the moon?

> I've had problems with the eyepiece cup falling off of every Canon camera
> I've had, from the A2 through the 1n to the D30. I fully expect the 20D
> to be the same. It is a twitchy design, two little clips inside the frame
> of the eyepiece, easy to chip or round off. I lost one cup from my A2
> (actually 2, but I found one in the bottom of a bag, months after
> replacing it) and learned to be careful with it from then on. When I put
> the camera in the bag, I either put it in one side first, rather than
> bottom first, which keeps the cup from snagging on the edge of the bag, or
> hold a finger on the cup as I put the camera in bottom first.

superglue?

Skip M

"Mr Jessop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QXxed.13879$(E-Mail Removed) k...

> "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> I've had two experiences with them, both over the same issue, both at
>>> opposite ends of the scale.
>>>
>>> On my Rebel G, there's not much of anything that locks the rubber
>>> eyepiece surround to the camera - the thing was constantly falling off,
>>> usually in the camera bag, but sometimes onto the ground... until
>>> finally it disappeared into the mud at an outdoor music festival.
>>>
>>> I emailed Canon Canada to complain about this poor design, and they
>>> promptly sent me a new eyepiece with apologies.

<snipped>
>> I've had problems with the eyepiece cup falling off of every Canon camera
>> I've had, from the A2 through the 1n to the D30. I fully expect the 20D
>> to be the same. It is a twitchy design, two little clips inside the
>> frame of the eyepiece, easy to chip or round off. I lost one cup from my
>> A2 (actually 2, but I found one in the bottom of a bag, months after
>> replacing it) and learned to be careful with it from then on. When I put
>> the camera in the bag, I either put it in one side first, rather than
>> bottom first, which keeps the cup from snagging on the edge of the bag,
>> or hold a finger on the cup as I put the camera in bottom first.

> superglue?

But, then, if I want to use something like an angle finder, I'm SOL...

--

Mr Jessop wrote:
> As for
> them not having a service depot conveniently next door to you that really
> isn't a valid criticism either.

I'm not criticizing that, only pointing out that sending the camera off
to the depot for several weeks' downtime isn't just a convenient thing
to do, especially for a $10 part.